Fire and brake fluid Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Fire and brake fluid « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 06:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just been idly surfing you tube and came across a demonstration of the flammability of brake fluid dot.

Petrol when squirted on to a hot exhaust boils with out catching fire. Brake fluid immediately catches fire.
In accidents brake fluid is the most likely source of a fire.

That's bad.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've managed to ignite RR363 that I had not adequately cleaned up when I was trying to get a particularly recalcitrant (and perforated) filter out of the bottom of the reservoir.

It doesn't burn instantly, but when it lights it lights very suddenly. Much like alcohol (at least in small amounts, anyway) it's easy to blow out.

If you had a major spraying around from a severed brake line in a hot engine compartment a rather grand fire could definitely result.

Brian

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, 31 July, 2016 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Flame resistance is the main attribute of aviation hydraulic fluids. Wish we could use them!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 02:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If one has a LHM system then the MINERAL version of skydroll could be used but I suspect that LHM just smokes when in contact with hot stuff and doesn't burst into flames so I wouldn't use anything but LHM rather than risk a foreign fluid. The LHM system is prone to leaks as it is with out putting the "wrong oil " in it.

My Shadow is off road at the mo. But I have off road or sorn insurance, only £70 a year, just in case the car catches fire or something. Also it keeps the original insurance contract alive. So that a mere phone call and a debit card and the insurance is convert to fully comp road insurance.
A mate dropped a lawn mower on his Jag and the insurance paid for the damage.

For non UK people. Sorn is Statatory off road notification. The idea being that if a car is not on the road then the government know. If the car is not declared as off road then road tax is liable even if the tax is zero rated. If a car is found on the road with sorn declared then it's an offence and a fine will be levied. Or life imprisonment on bread and water.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: