Search facility Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Search facility « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

... seems to only go back a year. This can't be right, but I am looking for some of MY posts and they do not appear in the search results. Can I do a global search for older material?

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2024
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 05:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

There are some definite problems with the built-in search here, and it's been discussed before. It doesn't look like there will be an "internal fix" but the site has been opened up such that web search engines have been able to crawl the messages for some months now.

You can use your favorite web search engine, or try a couple of them, with the following as your first search term followed by whatever keywords you're looking for:

site:au.rrforums.net/forum/messages

This is what I do when I'm positive something's out there that doesn't get returned by the built-in forums search function. With other advanced operators with a web search engine you can definitely narrow things down even further.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Wednesday, 27 July, 2016 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

The performance of the Search function is diminished as the number of Topics being searched increases.

The most effective searches occur when you restrict the search to one topic at a time instead of trying to do all Topics at once. It appears to me the maximum number of hits for any one search is around 50.

If I search for my posts for all topics under my user name, the results are a real "dog's breakfast" - if I restrict it to one topic only, I can get results dating back to 2002 when I joined the forum.

Our Administrator has spent a lot of time trying to find software that will allow the current forum archives to be accessed after it is replaced with new software without success. We cannot afford to lose access to these archives as they contain a great deal of useful information that is not documented elsewhere.

I have had varying degrees of success using the popular search engines however my experience has been using the forum search facility with restriction to one topic only usually finds what I am looking for.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: