Leaping Ladies!!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Leaping Ladies!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, 06 January, 2005 - 21:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We are right in the middle of the 'Summernats' in Canberra. This is a joyous expression of hot rod indulgence, the display of the grossest mammeries seen since Sabrina and a cacophonic chorus of effulgent exhausts. Shocked in my dotage, I have to admit that I was singularly captivated by the spectacle of leaping front ends of otherwise normal looking cars. You will surely have seen these on some of the more garish productions of Hollywood. The front of the car travels from full collapse to full erection in rapid sequence. However off topic this may be I want to know how they do it? Presumably through the shock absorbers but with air or oil? And what to they pump with? Advice please. PS You've guessed it I want to arrive at the Concours with the Blue Beast a'leapin'!

Mark Peacock
Prolific User
Username: takemehomejames

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 06 January, 2005 - 23:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill , its called "Hop" Lowriding
they operate thru Hydaulic/Pneumatic rams, with air bags, triggered thru switches mounted in the centre consule or via remote (ahh the wonders of technology).
You can buy kits for around 4 grand to get you started. look at

http://lowridermagazine.com/events/0501lrm_friscohop/

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, 07 January, 2005 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah Mark you have opened up a whole new world in my dotage. The only immediate problem I see with the Blue Beast is that noting its inbuilt propensity to distribute the contents of the engine and gearbox around peoples' drives, I really wonder what will happen with the car leaping to about 45 degrees. The big dividend as I see it is getting out of the interminable jacking for servicing. Get the car up as in your picture, a couple of really tall jack stands and I can stand up to do the whole front suspension. I am feeling my age.

Mark Peacock
Prolific User
Username: takemehomejames

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, 07 January, 2005 - 11:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree, These times are a changing..
I think it would be very hairy to throw a set of jack stands mid flight to stop the car to service !! If you look in the tray of the ute really closely you'll see all the actuators and all the pnumatic lines !!