Someone asked "do you let your daught... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Someone asked "do you let your daughter drive the Shadow" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, 03 June, 2016 - 12:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are a few images of my 20 year old enjoying the Shadow.

Loves driving it.
But does not know where fuel filler is.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, 03 June, 2016 - 23:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations young Miss Ryan on passing your test and having the privilege to drive one of these lovely cars.
My 19 year old son has taken my Wraith out a few times and has loved it too.
Omar

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 02:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On a related note, I've never really understood why people treat these cars as sacred objects that are to be looked at and not driven. As an extension of that, if driven only to be driven by "the elect," which is usually the owner.

I've handed SRH33576 over to any one of my friends who've expressed an interest in driving her. Since most of them have been driving for decades, and mostly without incident (I've had a couple of accidents myself - one in SRH33576), I figure that the likelihood of the car being destroyed is low, and no higher than when I'm behind the wheel.

I've come right out and said, and meant, to the curious but hesitant, "It's only a car." Yes, it's a very nice car. Yes, I'd be sad were it to be demolished. But I'd be far sadder still were someone I knew who was driving it to be injured in an accident. My first concern were the awful to happen would not be with the loss of SRH33576 (and for not for more than about 0.001 second, if that, when looking at "the big picture").

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 06:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you have no problems with the possiblity of someone else who is good at driving their own car, but potentially unfamiliar with yours and thereby easily distracted, damaging your precious car, then by all means let them drive it. It is however an absolute certainty that nothing will go wrong if you do not.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I moved to Cleveland Ohio I left my Rolls at my son's house in Vegas. It's only recently I found out the little blighter had been using it to go to college in. Apparently, even the young people there thought it was a cool car. I always thought it only appealed to older people.

A living example of Omar's maxim - it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Geoff

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My son at 23, with his 1981 Spirit on the day he moved from a rented cottage to his own house. I subsequently bought the car off of him and kept it for 2+ years as my every day driver. The Spirit was not the best of examples, but he had great fun with it and covered about 8000 miles in the 12 months that he owned it, using it virtually daily. He replaced it with a Mk1 Jag , now sold.

Spirit earning its keep

In my ownership, I changed the registration number as removing a penned on additional letter A at market got boring .

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 09:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's just jealousy.

I like the roof protection system.

Car looks great. I'm surprised he sold it. A cool car for someone so young.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 11:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

If you have no problems with the possiblity of someone else who is good at driving their own car, but potentially unfamiliar with yours and thereby easily distracted, damaging your precious car

Since I can count on less than one hand the number of times I have been "distracted" when getting into an unfamiliar car and driving away, which I've done many times over the decades, I have no problems. I deal with the probable, not every remote possibility.

quote:

It is however an absolute certainty that nothing will go wrong if you do not.

Well, I guess I'll have to tell that to the folks who've lost cars to garage fires, sink holes, floods, and the like.

There are things far more precious to me than my cars. Sharing them with those I know well who'd like to drive them is one of those things. That doesn't mean I think they're not precious, either. My priorities are different from yours and, believe it or not, that's perfectly OK. Individual autonomy is a wonderful thing!

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 201
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 13:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Individual autonomy separated by a common language, to paraphrase. I thought it was clear that "nothing will go wrong" meant that your friends will not have any problems while driving your car if they do not drive it. While if they do drive it, it is unlikely, if they do not drive it, it is certain i.e nothing will go wrong. As to probable versus possible, that is the reason for seatbelts. You probably won't need them, but it is possible. Insurance likewise is for the possible, rather than the probable, so "possible" does have a place in the decision making heirarchy. I guess my friends are just less dependable than yours and I envy you for having reliable friends! My "kharma" also tends to make the "possible" into "probable" whenever I take my attention off of reality...so I beg forgiveness if I tend to be cautious as a result. You know, what can go wrong, will go wrong! Again, I envy those not so unfortunately situated as I!

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2016 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
Thanks for your lovely words.
She is a good driver, as I taught her how to drive like a Truckie.
She can reverse park by only using her mirrors, and she can judge the back of the shadow when reversing simply through the mirrors better than I.
Does your son nag you to continue driving the Wraith mate?
My son does.
However, he has turned it into a gangster car when he drives.
Check him out below.
The black top rollers watermark is from a photographer who takes pics of all cars rolling in from 6:30am
I agree with you Brian.
We regularly take people out in the car, and I always throw them the keys for the drive home.
Yes,
It's a car!!
It's meant to have bums on seats and driven wherever and whenever.
At shows and displays, I always encourage anyone interested to jump in.
Same with my 25 Chev.
"Jump in" it seems the older, or the more prestigious the car, the further on lookers stand back.
But hey, if they come to a car show, they're interested in cars!!
Everyone is welcome.
The RROC NSW is having a drive and be driven day in July.
So anyone can have a drive of my car if they want.
I'm looking forward to it.

Geoff,
Great story about your son.
That's something my young bloke would do

Good story Mark.
Your young bloke looks very happy with his moving van lol.
Geoff is right coolest car for a young man his age that's for sure.

Once a month (the second Sunday of each month) my son and I take our 2 cars to "coffee & cars" at Penrith Panthers.
My son (25) and I get to spend a few hours together to just look at and talk about cars.
It's something we both look forward to.
Also it's his regular drive of the Shadow.
He regularly takes it to work as well.
Here is a pic of the Chev and Shadow at coffee & cars

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 662
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2016 - 03:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
My son is not all that fussed with the Wraith. The car he really likes is the Continental R. He is happy to take that at the drop of a hat. He likes the nimbleness of the Continental R and it is less "old man" like.
My 16 year old daughter had her first ever solo drive in the Continental R. Like you and Brian say - these are cars - that's all - just cars. We happen to particularly like them, but they are still just cars.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2016 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great stuff Omar.
I bet they have a grin from ear to ear when driving that beauty Mate.
I'm sure your kids like mine, have now learned the art of respecting a car.
As I said to them regardless of make or age.
All cars should be respected, if not they can bite!
Oh, and so can dad!!!! Lol

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: