Be Here Now cover Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Be Here Now cover « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2016 - 21:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys,
Does anyone know what happened to this car, or its origins?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, since this is a photoshop montage who knows if that car even existed when this album cover was created?

These days I doubt one can even get much information if the license plate shown is even real (and I'd presume it is not).

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car is real. There is a good article here:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/frivolous-fantasy-how-oasis-sank-rolls-royce

Thankfully the car was destined for the scrap heap and was delivered to the shoot minus it's engine.

All a bit silly really. At least it helps increase the value of our cars. Good band though.

Geoff

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Everyone,
A fellow member of the RREC did some research on this some time ago and found as follows. It was indeed a genuine Shadow which was submerged in the pool. The story goes that it was purchased without engine and transmission from Flying Spares for £1,000 in 1997. The original registration number was MDH119K but this was changed for the photo shoot to SYO724F. This registration number is a throw back to the Beatles Abbey Road album cover which shows a police van in the background with exactly the same registration number. Here endeth today's piece of useless information.
Kind regards,
Chris

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 02:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, we posted at exactly the same time!
Kind regards,
Chris

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

such brilliant trivia and such great bands too...... both of them.....

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow guys,
You have came through again.
For many years I thought the same as Brian. But my son actually set me on the path that the car may be real.
Great trivia, and great images guys.

Now for the last piece of the puzzle.
What happened to the car afterwards?

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,
Again, courtesy of my colleague in the RREC who found out all this stuff, he did a search of the original registration number through DVLA records and the car is still on their database as in existence but no more details I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Chris

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 03:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well if it is the only car to be pictured in a swimming pool on a album cover then it was scrapped dismantled.
This was a scrap yard not to far away from myself, still in business so will ask about it when next nearby.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2016 - 12:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great info gents.
Just interesting if someone kept it due to its significance, or was it immediately junked?

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I really don't think Rolls Royces are much chop as submarines. I venture to suggest that once submerged its best to leave them that way because as soon as the atmosphere gets to work they would quickly rust from the inside out.

Its a really nasty thing to do to a fine British automobile. I had to do a lot of work on a Porsche 911 that got hit by the 1974 flood in Brisbane. When we pulled the gearbox apart rust had ruined a lot of the metal on the shafts. My opinion is that a car that has been flooded is a perpetual basket case and should be avoided at all costs and especially if its been done by seawater.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2016 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
There is a guy called Richard who is doing a great job of resurrecting his dads RR after it failed has a submarine
Mike

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, 24 May, 2016 - 07:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
We do see lots of cars still from the Queensland floods. Some as recent as a lovely Maserati that was written off, but looked almost as new.
Yes, once water gets into drive line components and is left for even a few weeks, it's goodbye!

I hope Richard does well with that Mike.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: