Shell grey paint code Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Shell grey paint code « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2015 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm in the process of restoring the wheeltrims on my 1979 Shadow 2. For this I need to have some Shell Grey paint mixed.
The paint code is ICI M 151-2582.
However, my local (Glasurit) paint supplier cannot find the code in his system. The only reference he can find is Shell Grey code ICI M 151-2128 for Shadows up until 1974.

Is there another code I can give him or is both Shell Greys the same and can he use that one ?

Benoit

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2015 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit, that is a curly question. I had no trouble getting the correct paint for my Cadillac in Australia even though they were not sold here new. This was good for me because of the paranoia in the USA after 9/11 it became crazy getting the original paint from Los Angeles as all types of diabolic measures had to be taken together will lunatic freight expenses, paint being classified as "dangerous"

If nobody on the forum answers your question I can call up my local paint supplier and see if he has that code you are after.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2015 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit
From my documents, the paint code

ICI M 151-2582 equates to RR 9500434 - Shell Grey 73-78

ICI M 151-2128 equates to RR 9500123C - Shell Grey 65-71

Could he not mix up some small samples for you, so you can compare the different shades?

Geoff

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2015 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

Spies and Hecker carry most if not all the R-R/B colours but only in 2K formulation - if you are hand painting the trims, you might be able to get a sample plate sprayed with the 2K colour by a car spray painter who could then mix a 1K acrylic paint batch to match which you can safely use to hand paint your trims.

2K paint is a health hazard due to toxic gases [cyanide if my memory is correct] given off during the painting process and breathing air helmets are mandatory for this reason.

www.spieshecker.com/

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2015 - 12:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, remember that ICI and its color catalog are now owned by Nexa Autocolor, a division of PPG Industries.

I don't know if there's an Australian branch, but there's one in the UK. They can cross the ICI numbers (and I have the same records as Geoff does about the two versions of Shell Grey) to the Nexa equivalent (or custom mix it).

Also, if memory serves, the earlier version of Shell Grey used some sort of animal derived colorants that are no longer legally available. The later version did not.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Tuesday, 01 December, 2015 - 12:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, see the attached document regarding ICI/NEXA colors that was researched by Tom Wright when he was restoring his Cloud. I notice that the Shell Gray that he happened to pick up is the later one (2582M). This might help.

application/pdfICI/Nexa Paint Color Research - T. Wright
ICI_Nexa_Paint_Codes.pdf (21.6 k)

Brian

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2015 - 01:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Everyone,

thanks.
I'll take the R and Nexa paint codes to my supplier and see if he can match them.

Benoit