Weirdness in the Market Place Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Weirdness in the Market Place « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, 29 November, 2015 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought I had seen it all until I checked carsales.com.au today and found a splendid 1980 Shadow looking top shelf with only a claimed 43,000k on the clock.

One would think that was amazing but what really got my eye was the $395,598 price tag.

Perhaps the car comes with bionic sex slave women robots from the year 4000AD that are equipped with on board RR/B workshop manuals or a cloned version of Sophia Loren at age 21 together with Elizabeth Taylor at 25 dripping in diamonds.

Still if you just won $54 million USD on the Chicago lottery and were smashed on straight vodka for a week with a concoction of other minding bending substances effecting your rationality even if you were feeling very King Billy would you part with that type of loot for this car?

I would not myself but as I have met rich people who are dumber than six chickens anything is possible.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, 29 November, 2015 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
Perhaps a veiled innuendo regarding paying $1,000,000 for an admittedly nice Silver Cloud DHC? I can imagine the effect that sale is going to have on value ratings based on recent market pricings.

I attach the following photos simply to add spice to this thread:

Grand Master

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, 30 November, 2015 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian such beautiful lines on this Bentley DHC that one can just stare at it for ages which leads of course to greater evils like wanting to own one.

But the more I look at the car the more I am re-enforced in my belief that that bag for the top simply has to go.

If only life consisted of having to drive or preferably ride in one of these through the English countryside in the summer getting smashed on cold beer at each and every pub that came in sight.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, 30 November, 2015 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lust in my heart, etc.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 885
Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2015 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Shadow 1 has twice the mileage and needs a fair bit of TLC. As much as I intend to keep while I'm still breathing I would part with it for 20% of that ridiculous price!

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2015 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

is that cloud fpr real? it looks like liquid metal ,wow what a finish!
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 796
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2015 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car has 115k miles. I guess £10k. I am like Jan. I shall keep the car until it or me stop breathing. Its easier to keep the car selling is always a hassle.

Shadows are creeping up in value but not 395k seems a misprint. 39k is possible but the car would have to be mint.

The cloud shown is lovely.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2015 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just noticed that it's not a Silver Cloud DHC in the photos posted by Mr. Hansen but is a Bentley S DHC.

As to the finish, it is indeed top notch, but never forget that some very interesting effects can be created in photographs by the strategic use of lighting in the studio that really never occur "in the wild."

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2015 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, true. The reference to the $1,000,000 was not this one, but to the Silver Cloud Beyonce got for her birthday. Yes, correct-o-mundo, the photos are of a Bentley, and from the angle, the grill area actually looks more fluid that would a RR, but who's complaining. Photo credits are in order here. This is the DHC conversion offered by the Scottish firm that Christopher Carnley referenced. I went to the website and was awe-struck. The engine compartment is equally impressive. Probably was close to a $500,000 restoration. I wrote about price to have my Cloud I converted, but the proprietor I am sure could read between the lines to see that I was just curious, not money in his bank, so never heard back. Great photos. Thought you would all enjoy.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, 10 December, 2015 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh, and regarding the paint job. While lighting can play all sort of tricks, in this case I would suspect that the paint job looks spectacular because it actually is. This company apparently does paint the proper way...multiple coats, lacquer. They said ten. Back in the day that is the way it was done.

Modern jobs, at least here in the US due to EPA et cetera, are crap. Primer coat. Color coat. Clear coat. The slightest scratch penetrates the thin clear and paint coats and shows the primer. Don't let anyone near the paint job with a buff wheel. Hit a ridge and the color is gone, primer shows. When I got my first MK VI Bentley off Frank Dale's London showroom floor (essentially new condition, well, "certified pre-owned, 20,000 miles) he told me it was standard procedure for RR/B to have 15 coats of hand rubbed lacquer. It made the black finish look like it was 1" deep. The benefit was that any issues with scratches, etc were like peeling an onion. Always another coat of the same color underneath. They could take a lot of wear and buff and wax right back to a bottomless luster.
If I ever need a repaint job, I will seriously consider shipping the vechicle to these guys to have it done right. Just saying.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, 10 December, 2015 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't tell me about poor paint on Yank iron. My '92 Dodge Ram Day Van is losing it's thin clear coating by the handful on a daily basis! If the weather would settle for a few days I could cut it back and respray it several times, but ...

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 01:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

I have no doubt that the paint job is spectacular. On a restoration costing half a million dollars that should be the bare minimum standard. I also have no doubt based on the photographs themselves that lighting was used very intentionally to give that "liquid metal" effect. It won't look at all like that in daylight. It will look absolutely beautiful, but nothing like those pictures.

As to your statement about "back in the day," well, back in the day at Rolls-Royce and other makers of their caliber. It has never been convention to apply multiple coats of hand rubbed lacquer to the majority of mass production vehicles.

There have been some notoriously bad batches of clear coat and I see them all the time. That being said, when you don't have one I'll take the durability of current finishes over what was on the cars in my younger days in a heartbeat.

"What's too painful to remember, we simply choose to forget."

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If one has never seen 15 coats of hand rubbed lacquer, then they cannot judge of which they have no knowledge.

I'll take 15 coats of durable over one coat of durable any time.

Oh, and lest it be misunderstood, I was not referring to factory paint jobs, but rather to current respray jobs that are the norm on restorations, since most original RR/B paint jobs (all 15 coats of them) have long since gone the way of the puffery of "bare metal repaint jobs" which to me, when ever I hear it, simply means that all 15 coats of quality, yes, all the way down to the metal, was removed and then replaced with a single color coat. Now this is not to say that the respray may not have been necessary, nor that there was a convenient alternative since here in US, lacquer is no longer allowed (save the planet!), it is just unfortunate that no one any longer knows what 15 coats looks like. Problem with 15 coats is that it costs 15 times as much as just one. It is just that 15 coats is what you got on a new RR/B back then. I have no knowledge of what you get on a RR/B now however. I'm just saying.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

Since I've attended several RROC-US annual meets and two tours, one pre-war tour, I can assure you that I've almost certainly seen 15 coats of hand rubbed lacquer. I wasn't trying to compare that against current paint, per se.

It is ridiculous, though, to pretend that multiple coats of paint, hand rubbed or otherwise, have been the norm during most of our lifetimes on most cars, which was my point.

And, just so my politics are clear, I'll take saving the planet for the future generations in my extended family (I have no children of my own) over a simply spectacular automotive paint job, hands down. There are lots of priorities that come well above making utterly beautiful, but highly environmentally destructive, things. On a mass scale most automotive paint technologies of the past weren't good for the environment as a whole nor the people who had to work with them.

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian...
We both speak English, but still do not always communicate. I originally meant "back in the day" to be "during the EPW Era" and specifically in 1948 when my MkVI was painted. I thought that it was clear that I was referring to RR/B products and not Fords or Chevys, not that I was implying that 15 coats of hand rubbed lacquer were ever applied to anything on a mass scale. Let them eat bread!

Grand Master

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, 13 December, 2015 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian I think you mean "Let them eat cake" a quote of Mary Antoinette about peasants starving.

Thank goodness there is balance in the world. I would definitely take 15 coats acrylic lacquer well applied over a much vetted body on any RR/B over the health of kiddies. I say all kiddies need to be seen not heard and then rounded up for army duty asap and kept in a desert camp where they can't put their grubby little curious fingers on any chrome work. Yes off with them.

But interesting about USA banning the acrylic lacquer and Australia has not followed suit because usually some numbskull law will be made overseas and then some dimwit politician here will yap on in the media and the law with some amendments will be passed here.

I thought the move to two pack paints containing isocyanate was rather grand especially upon hearing that one fellow painted his Falcon in Western Australia with two pack and gassed his neighbours ho ho! Then I had a job at a bus company and this lunatic trades assistant admitted to me that he and a bus driver had painted the front of a bus with two pack without masks and "there was nothing unsafe about it". I referred this fool to the warning on the paint tin but he just laughed which is typical for a NZ trades assistant. The general manager who knew nothing about it decided upon hearing my reservations about painting with this stuff without the full space suit, air supply and spray booth made his own inquiries and was told in no uncertain terms that two pack was positively deadly without the right equipment.

Now can anybody tell me whether the USA banned acrylic lacquer and replaced it with two pack or whether they banned acrylic lacquer and two pack and why other than to stop the general public repainting their own cars what was the reason acrylic lacquer got banned?

We have another nutcase "greeny tree hugger law" law here in Australia which bans importation of cars with R12 and or R134A gas in the air conditioning regardless that R134A is used here.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, 13 December, 2015 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Valdimir...
I could cover myself by saying that it was a test question, and you won by recognizing the error, when actually I was simply engaging fingers before engaging brain! Silly me. My faux pas!

I suppose that I was drawing the parallel that she was eating cake and RR/B were using lacquer paint and each beiing vilified by the masses who protested that not everyone could be so fortunate. We should all eat bread.

In terms of grubby fingers on chrome, while the compliments are frequent, I am surprised at the number of people and kiddies who are so preoccupied with their hand held gizmos that they don't even blink in the presence of a higly gorgeous antique Rolls-Royce festooned with suitably vintage or antique handknotted (nothing machine made here, thank you very much) silk or wool carpets. If they do, it's "what kind of a car is that?" Clearly the significance of "Rolls-Royce" is lost on the masses!

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 894
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2015 - 00:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I've implied or even stated in the past; my Shadow 1 is hardly in the first bloom of youth (at 40 what would you expect?), but I get envious glances in the UK and nothing but admiration on the Continent. Smiles and waves as I waft by and people queuing up to take a selfie alongside her when she's parked certainly conflict with "what's that old heap of sh*t?".

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2015 - 01:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,

I have precisely the same experience with my Shadow II, which is just barely younger than your Shadow at 38 years of age.

My car is one that the purists absolutely despise. It was converted from RHD to LHD, is repainted in a "non-correct" Land Rover color [that's very similar to one of RR's colors of the time], and certainly has plenty of patina.

I love her and the general public tends to smile and, when I'm filling her up or otherwise stopped for a few moments I almost always get questions from people who admire her or are just curious.

I'm perfectly content with my driver-grade car that I can start up and pretty much drive where I feel like when I feel like it.

Brian

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2015 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was at the MOT centre to day The young man in the car in front of me got out and ask could he take a photo to send to his mates and yes the car passed the MOT a good end to the day.

Richard.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2015 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Was the Bentley DHC made just for the LHD market or was this car and others having a design fault for RHD.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 962
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well it stands out like a sore thumb and no experts here it seems.

Wipers just do not park on O/S of the screen on a RHD vehicle.

I would sack the man who did the conversion.
The car was manufactured in LHD form.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bentley Corniche and MPW DHC were made in RHD.

People always second look a RR or Bentley. I remember a women in Tescos car park saying you would have thought he would send his butler to get the shopping.

I tend to drop the wife off at the shop door and then park at the back where there loads of room. I still get poeple wanting a better look so I just open the doors and bonnet and let them look. And even sit in the car. I had one bloke who ran up to the car threw a bread roll at the car and run off. Why.!!

The Queen gets letters from people complaining about a certain class of people being allowed to buy RRs.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 897
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred
Strong in th'arm, thick in th'head
Hear all, see all say nowt
Eat all, sup all pay nowt
If thy ever does owt fer nowt do it fer thissen.

Proud member of the working class
I think you can guess what I drive.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 963
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan it can only be a Jowett!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think an Austin 7 would be appropriate....... a horse and sulky even more so .

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 416
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick you are so right there are no experts here generally speaking but we do have a few professional and well informed people to keep us right and the rest of us are keen to learn.

Richard.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jowett ... built 'just up the road' from me near Bradford. I used to pass one very day very near to the closed factory premises when I worked for TNT (1970's to 80's).

I couldn't begin to afford one these days.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would have guessed Trojan. There is an inside angle here that I a Yank do not quite get though.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2015 - 12:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Translation from the original for our American and other international members:

"Hear all, see all, say nothing;
Eat all, drink all, pay nothing;
And if ever you do anything for nothing – always do it for yourself."