White Cloud III Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » White Cloud III « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a white RR Cloud III for sale at the moment on CarSales.

The price is very low which causes alarm bells to go off in my head. Does anybody know about this particular car?

I really should not be looking at the thing as its too much of temptation. I know the old chestnut about spending more to get better etc but now and again some of us unfortunately have to sell our toys urgently to survive and keep the thieving murderous banks and finance companies at bay not to mention public pillager and number one rapist the ATO.

Any infomation gratefully received and can be messaged to me privately if need be. Thanks

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 13:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
My curiosity in such things is easily provoked, but since I operate a computer with an obsolete Windows XP operating system and insufficient RAM, most current websites are slow to load, if at all, and in this case it took three trys to get even the main listing to appear before freezing, let alone to see the photos or read the description. If you could post the photos and description, it would assist those of us who are curious. Price was $38,000AUD which is probably half what you would expect to pay for a moderately to above presentable specimen, a third for a quite nice one, quarter for concourse. Seller typically knows the car better than anyone and so the question is baited "why" that price?

If I read betweeen the lines of your question, I would surmise that you suspect that it is some sort of "distress sale"? Is this because the photos and description make it seem to be likely worth quite a bit more than that price? If so, do keep in mind that there are occasionally scams, frequently on EBay, where the item does not actually exist and the seller hopes to get someone to send money. I doubt you would fall for any such thing, but I am just saying, in case this is one of those "seems too good to be true" times.

I submit that it really depends on your own expectations as well. Since you are capable of repairs, you will be able to handle most issues, but if it has for instance an engine knock or a variety of serious issues, the question is whether you want some immediate gratification from driving your new acquisition, or whether you expect to work on it for months and many dollars or longer before even being able to enjoy it. My own temperment, which is irrelevant, but I note it only anecdotally, is to be able to get some satisfaction first and repairs if required, down the road.

Another consideration is your public image. Years ago there was a local fellow, experienced mechanic, who had a rust bucket Mark VI Bentley that he got seriously on the cheap, but which he had mechanically gone thru so that it drove well despite being as rolling eyesore. Obviously the public's reaction was that it was a complete trash heap, but he did not mind because he was not on a fashion prade, desired to impress no one, and took his pleasure from repairing the mechanicals. On the other hand, if you have an example that has good paint, admirable interior, and otherwise presents well, despite perhaps needing eventual mechanicals, the puiblic is only going to see and react to the paint and upholstery, and if your ego needs or revels in compliments on your taste in vehicles, that is the way you should go. Gratification now, repairs later, but the gratification now will cost you. Of course based on where you seem to live, who are you going to impress anyway, if your "public" is quite far away. I'm just saying.
Do keep us informed when you determnine the cause for the low price, be it mechanicals, coachwork condition, or both.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 494
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow Vlad - if that car was in Dubai I would have bought it

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 15:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, Gentlemen...Now I am even more curious. Do I need to resort to self-help by getting a newer computer, or will someone cure my vexations by posting photos and details? Thanks if that will happen!!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 15:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian

I too run XP on my desktop computer as I prefer it to the later windows versions. I was forced to have windows 8 on my laptop, which I think is dreadful. Microsoft in an apparent admission of this fact allowed free downloads of windows 10, presumably because the laptop was less than a year old. Windows 10 is much better. As you mentioned, adding some more memory would probably solve your problem. I get great response on my antiquated desktop system.

I include two photos and a direct link to the advert to which I believe Vladimir is referring to. The car is priced at 38k Australian dollars (28k ish US dollars). From it's appearance in the photos it does appear to be in remarkably good condition. For this price one would not expect such a car. The only question mark is it does not have a roadworthy certificate, however this may be because one is not required. I don't know as I am not familiar with Australian Law.

Two photos follow, but try the direct link - you might be able to connect to it.

rr1

rr2

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Cloud-1963/SSE-AD-3632097/?Cr=1

Geoff

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 17:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank chaps for confirming my gut feeling that the photos just don't make much sense in relation to the low price. I have sent a message to the vendor to email the photos to me because the ones on CarSales are too small.

I have no problems with XP which is on my Tobishba Satellite lap top except when I try to look at the Beverley Hills Car Club inventory. For some reason that continually results in the internet stopping to work. I don't know why because I can see the Telsta tower from my front yard up on the mountain.

This car has been on the market for a while. There is no way I would part with $38 grand without physically looking at the car. The car possibly has been sold as the vendor has had ample time to email the photos to me but hasn't and I am not going to try his number unless I get the photos first.

My view on scammers is that they need to be kneecapped first, horsewhipped and then SHOT! I think little Billy Gates could spend a billion here or a billion there that just sets up a group of ex special forces that identify the scammers and just go in and whack them. No need for trial and all that nonsense just whack them. Especially the marriage scammers -- they need severe torture followed by whacking. The more that are whacked the better. For far too long the internet has been a venue where these scumbags have had a free rein and now its time for a good old fashioned blood bath. A legal one of course.

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 18:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
You touched on something that I was going to mention...how long the offering has been on the market. You can bet that if it truly is a distress sale, where the car is really worth $50K+ but the seller desperately needs the cash for whatever reason, it would sell immediately.

So...what that leaves is: what is the seller not disclosing. My jaundiced persepective is that it is not what they say, but neglect to say that matters. It is not what they show in the photos, but what they neglect to show that matters. Notice that there are no photos of the engine bay. Would any genuine seller ever think that such would not matter to a buyer? Notice that the only positive thing the seller says is that the headliner has been replaced. What?!? That's the best he can say about the car?? Oh, and it's a head turner, but anyone who has ever owned a presentable Silver Cloud can testify that nothing less is to be expected from the appreciative and adoring masses, so that's not special, simply typical.

Also, notice that there is something just not right about the "replaced" headliner. Not straight and smooth. Clearly (at least probably) not done properly. What else has not been done properly?

I suppose that the bottom line is that a physical inspection will be the only way to determine specifically why you do not want the car, even at that price. Caveat Emptor!

Do keep us posted as events develop.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Saturday, 21 November, 2015 - 19:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I note the car is on Club plates rather than full registration so the owner must be or has been a Car Club member - we just need to know which Club.....

The car may be from a deceased estate and the beneficiaries may just want to get rid of it quickly or may not have an idea of its true value.

As always "let the buyer beware" .....................

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, 22 November, 2015 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Surely, we must have someone here from Melbourne?