Carpet Cleaning Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Carpet Cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, 02 July, 2015 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, can the Wilton carpet in a Rolls-Royce be cleaned using conventional methods like car detailers commonly would use?
I ask because (1) I know they are Wilton wool; (2) a friend took an '85 Spirit in partial trade for a personal vehicle he could not seem to sell on, and I just learned he sent it to a detailer. There is still time to stop it if necessary to prevent damage.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

Unless they're using some really weird and exotic system, wool carpets (Wilton or not) can be cleaned just like any others. I've never known of any carpet cleaner that uses bleach, but one must assiduously avoid chlorine bleach with wool (it will dissolve it - try it with a bit of wool yarn or fabric).

If they use a water or steam cleaning method you just want to make sure the carpets dry thoroughly, and given the amount of heat that one can generate by closing or nearly closing the windows during the Louisiana summer you should have no problems in that department.

I'd worry more about them getting really soppy with whatever cleaning liquid they're using and it getting wet under the padding on the floor. I think even that's unlikely.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wilton carpet is best taken out of the car and washed in tepid soapy water then hung up to dry.

To really make the carpets look new. Dylon.
Red carpets and Dylon work particularly well.

Note hang carpet flat not bent over a washing line.

Dylon is a water dye available in a range of colours.

Its been 20 years since I last used dylon. The method is wash carpet. Change water stick the dye in leave for a while and then hung up to dry.

Note the dye won't do a colour change.

www.dylon.uk.co

Christian S. Hansen
Experienced User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IMHO...
Caveat Emptor! Letting any generic service provider anywhere near your specialized property is setting yourself up for a fall and should be avoided at all costs, unless you are prepared for "Oh, gee, I didn't know". Maybe I am too negative and pessimistic, but I have the sorry experiences to justify my position, but which I would rather not have to relate and thus relive. Never "assume" they know what they are doing. You have been warned.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 801
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 06:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm very careful also. When I changed all the tires on my car I took the wheels off in pairs and took them along to the tire fitters in the back of my SUV. Two trips. I didn't want anyone near the wheel lugs with a high torque airgun. Also, how many fitters would know about the left hand threads or how to jack the car up correctly.

Geoff.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone,

You also need to bear in mind the effects of whatever cleaning medium you use on the leather binding of the carpets in Rolls-Royces and Bentleys.

Kind regards,

Chris

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Worse than that.

A woman took her Bentley in to be valeted and they drove it through the workshop wall and then denied liability. Daily Mail UK.

I only allow properly trained guys to work on my car. Which is once in a blue moon.

I have seen car trim damaged due to aggressive cleaning chemicals.

Wilton because its wool responses to normal soap used for washing woollens.

The mistake that is often made is washing in hot water. 30c is fine. Also if Lenor is added the carpets smell nice after.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What about that time I took my Turbo R for its annual RTA test (You call that the MOT in the UK). The idiot left the car and flicked the gear lever with his finger as he was leaving the car (by accident) and drive was selected. When you select drive on a 91 Turbo R the handbrake automatically releases.... the car drove off into a parked car.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Frequent User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, one does not need to push the brake pedal to engage 'D'?
On my Corniche you don't, but it does not release the park brake automatically either.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2015 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On an MOT on my car they mistook the gear lever for the indicator and rammed a Ford Fiesta.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear JP,
I don't know anymore - this happened a while back now - I have disabled that feature. You now have to release the parking brake manually on the car.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2015 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have driven cars with auto shift lever on the column. And I never thought that any were difficult to use.

A nicely made mechanical rod and lever system would have been better.

The trick is to run the rods to the rear of the gearbox. Then a lever snd then a long rod to line up with the columns rod and levers. The long rod allows engine movement without scribing a small radius.

Rose ball joints. I have seen such a mechanism on a resto hod rod kit car and it was smooth, and very well made in stainless.

I don't like the idea of an automatic handbrake a better way would be as soon as the accelerator is depressed a warning buzzer sounds. That way the driver is always in control of the handbrake. Only he can apply the handbrake or let the brake off while the ignition is on. Key out and the auto handbrake works.

My Jeep has to be in park before the key can be withdrawn. I like this feature its pretty well foolproof.

I did think of putting a safety switch instead of pulling the cut out, switch the circuit off while in park.

I always leave the handbrake off in my garage but in park. But before I start the engine I fully apply the hand brake. Foot on brake pedal select reverse release hand brake feather foot brake and roll out of the garage.

Where it all starts to go wrong is that the car because its cold stalls so they two feet the pedals.

A BMC Automatic Mini with drum brakes all round. Because the front brakes are twin leading shoe if the car is in reverse the twin leading is now twin trailing shoe. The engine will over run the brakes. The rear brakes can't hold it because the weights at the front. I have seen a few come to grief by driving with two feet.

Bill Hart
Experienced User
Username: bill_hart

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 - 12:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I often use lacquer thinner on a rag to clean foot stains from the carpets in my Corniche. It removes the offending substance without a trace, dries immediately, leaves no odor, and does not affect the color.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, 03 December, 2015 - 22:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The front carpets in my Shadow are now (technically speaking) shagged. They have shrunk, the binding is coming undone and the middles have worn through. I'm not made of money so I'll be making new ones (including matching ones for the rear) from a huge piece of Wilton of the same colour that a kind gentleman gave me. As a bedroom carpet there's more than enough area from underneath the bed that has never seen a footstep.

So what if it isn't 'original'? How many people are so anal as to check on its authenticity? And why should they? I have no intention of selling it in my lifetime even if I lose my licence some time after my 70th birthday (5 years and counting). When I go it will be passed on to a local charity to do with as they please.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2015 - 01:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't tell anyone but I am replacing the boot carpeting in the 1970 Shadow with nylon. It's more practical and no one will know the difference. Its black and the new carpet will look very nice.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2015 - 02:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

I'll never tell. Some previous custodian did just that with the boot carpeting in SRH33576.

I believe that my overlays are also not original, either, but look perfectly fine. The passenger front carpet suffered irreparable damage from water at one point. I intend to replace it with nylon, as nylon makes far more sense for the application under consideration.

Although wool is quite durable as carpet pile, it doesn't hold up as well as far as stain resistance and fading go.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2015 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

100% polypropylene. This is rot proof. There's one type that mimics Wilton quite well. Binding is best with marine grade pvc. Also check out marine carpets.
Lambs wool and leather carpets are bound to get damp.
Under felt should be non absorbant. Modern sticky back under felts are much better and reduce noise better.

Modern under felts and sound control have come a long way in 50 years.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2015 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What I find interesting is how many hold on to anachronisms as The Hallmarks of Luxury.

Fitness to purpose, durability, comfort (where applicable) and attention to design are far more important to me.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2015 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert
I agree with you, wool shrinks and stains leather crackand creaks,wood also ,bring on the mondeo I have no problems like that in her.
But I can't get it to smell the same lol
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 786
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2015 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wilton leather and wood is Edwardian style.

My sister has a VW Sharon (Ford Galaxy MPV). There's no wood no leather and poly carpets. The style is different from RR but nevertheless quite nice and the quality is quite good apart from switch gear which is clunky. Its fully loaded. The air con is quite powerful.

I saw a nice looking Shadow in metallic maroon 7800 quid. But velour cloth instead of leather. I reckon with leather 11k.

In early days of cars the chauffer would have a leather seat because of oil and dirt and the passengers would have cloth.

I reckon leather is ideal for seats. But when it comes to leather door seals and carpet binding not ideal.

I re did my kick panels in vinyl with no carpet. No one notices.

Polypropylene carpet melts. This is handy for sealing the edges before binding. And because once edge melted the bits of binding that are hidden aren't needed.

Wood. My jeep has wood its real wood that looks like plastic wood. The Shadow wood does look like real wood.
I saw a custom car dash that was 6mm aluminium covered in a vinyl print of birds eye maple. It looked like real wood and is water resistant almost water proof.

Maybe this is the way to go for future cars. Its an option for an old Royce with totally wreaked veneers and no money to fix properly.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 585
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2015 - 11:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Olde Materials have a certain charm and I'm not knocking them, but modern synthetics certainly seem to show less deterioration. Of course when the cars are ground up at the shredder the plastics are sifted out and go to the landfill.
Each has their place.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2015 - 12:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...but until the time comes for the alluded deterioration, which can be many years if not decades with care down the road, my preference is for quality materials, wool, leather, genuine wood appointments. For instance, what is the point of having a nice sofa, if you install slip covers to make it last longer or for resale value, but at the expense of deriving pleasure in the moment. I enjoy antique Persian handknotted rugs and am always on the look out for one of an appropriate size to use as a carpet, or draped over front and rear seats. There is nothing quite like the look and feel of quality soft Kork or New Zealand Wool, and especially silk. At night I regularly travel with added compartment directional spot lights just so that I can admire and run my (clean!) hands over them. What is the saying? "Life is too short to drive a boring car" and same applies to polypropaliine or vinyl. Give me walnut burl, leather, silk, or wool any day. To each his own and I'm just saying.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2015 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, some help please.

The Shadow provided a manual locking device for the front seat squabs. Pull the nice lever on the outside of the seat and push the squab back to suit your comfort needs.

I have a Shadow that does an impromptu and unbid adjustment which is a little distracting when rounding a corner at high speed and you find yourself looking at the West of London wool worsted headlining.

Any ideas please?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2015 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, does the car have seat covers especially the lambs wool type?

These have a bad habit of snagging the lever and occupant repositioning their nether region on the seat tripping the ratchet that keeps the seat upright.

The only other reason I can think of would be a worn ratchet or pawl due to over-use but I would expect this to be unlikely given the R-R practice of long-life design specifications.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 787
Posted on Sunday, 06 December, 2015 - 07:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
I have never been into this mechanism. I guess when the lever is lifted it releases a clutch or friction device as on other cars. Usually there is a centre nut which when tweaked adjusts the grip.

Christian,
Rot proof carpet can still be of quality. Plastic isn't necessarily a down grade. Of course if the orignal is still ok then fine. I myself would get 100% polypropylene carpets of good quality. The difference is almost un detectable.
A good compromise is 20% lambs wool 80 polypropylene. Coverdale make these called Blenhiem range £300 for a set plus 300 for the boot.

I have car rugs/blankets made by Whitney which are nice. These are lambs wool. I use them for kipping while she is shopping.

Some Shadows are scrapped because a tatty interior has just pushed it over the edge. To fix properly is 1000s. Cheating by using plastics can save the car. Then maybe when the car has increased in value a new owner will do it properly.

Some of the plastic wood I have seen is very convincing. And just as expensive to repair if damaged.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2015 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David and Robert/ Thanks for your offering. There are no seat covers. The leather is original and intact but has a spray on finish. The rake lock mechanism underneath I notice has copped a fair dose of the spray paint, which so far has resisted attempts to clean it off.

Meanwhile I have noted two occasions when the squad 'collapses', going down my very steep driveway and turning onto the street at a sharp angle. So far it is a puzzlement. I am leaning towards paint removal as the answer.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2015 - 22:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did someone say "seat covers"? Viewed thru dirty windscreen.
Silver Dawn Seat Covers

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 889
Posted on Thursday, 10 December, 2015 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cannot think of a punishment severe enough to cope with this vandalism. What kind of hippy dippy drives a Rolls?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, 10 December, 2015 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If we knew more about where the car was when the photograph was taken would help and why there is a sash of some sort draped over the passengers seat bearing in mind it is some ones car and that they can do what they want with it.

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, there are hints, clear ones, to be taken.

Christian Hansen wrote: I enjoy antique Persian handknotted rugs and am always on the look out for one of an appropriate size to use as a carpet, or draped over front and rear seats.

Chacun à son goût.

If something can be reversed by nothing more than a careful lifting and folding, with no other long term effects, well . . .

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 03:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...But Wait!! It gets worse! The HippyDippy wasn't satisfied with just ruining the upholstery, he had to do the floors as well. Jheesh!

Floors

...and... Horrors!...the rear, too. Will it never cease??

Rear

Thankfully we have been spared the view of the boot interior, which has been deleted to protect sensitive eyes.

David Gore

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reminds me of the sub-continents Maharajah's R-R cars from the pre-WW2 era.

As I have little or no interest in carpets other than how well they can be cleaned, I have no idea what area of the world is reflected in the patterns.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 797
Posted on Friday, 11 December, 2015 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All it needs is a box of tissues on the rear parcel shelf. Then it will look like an Uber London mini cab.

On a hot sticky day these rugs are a god send. They cost a more than some think. Some of these rugs cost hundreds if not thousands.

I like the piping and seat colour combination.

I have quality English type car rugs made by Whitney. These are nice for having a back seat kip.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 892
Posted on Saturday, 12 December, 2015 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has the original mascot been replaced with a hand carved ivory Ganesh as well?

Sheesh!

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, 13 December, 2015 - 12:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Original Sykes signed Pre-War Standing Flying Lady was substituted for the Kneeling Lady which now resides on bookshelf. Even though 20+ years apart in application, cap ID and threading of both was, conveniently enough, identical.

james gibson
Yet to post message
Username: jimbob

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 07 March, 2016 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1990 turbo r when it is cold it has a very slow idle or stalls after running a couple of minutes it is runs fine

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, 07 March, 2016 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James Welcome to the forum you will get a better response to your question if place it in the Spirit section in a new thread or in a thread dealing with similar queries good luck.

Richard.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 361
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I have a 1990 turbo r when it is cold it has a very slow idle or stalls after running a couple of minutes it is runs fine"

Have you tried cleaning the carpet?

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
I shampood my boot carpet dried it with a vax and it shrank an inch!
I have pale grey carpets and what I think were pale brown stains is where the colour has been bleached out, does that sound right?
I had my old Bentley run away once ,I got out to move something from behind and accidentaly knocked thegear selector it went to D and shot off with me running behind it!
Fortunatley it hit a kerb and a tree which slowed it sufficiently for me to jump in and jump on the footbrake !
Very frightning.
I then modified it by fitting a solenoid plunger behind the selector lever that moved out of the way when the foot brake was applied to take it out of park.
I'm now looking at modifying me new one some way.
Cheers
Mike

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RR should never have added an electric gearchange to the gearbox. It was completely unnecessary and a dangerous safety hazard. Complication for the sake of it.

How many times do you change gear in an automatic? Once at the start of the journey and once again at the end. How much effort does that take?

Your interlock is a really good idea, any photos? Where did you mount the solenoid?

Rather than have a mechanical solution, I suspect that it would be possible to achieve the same thing electrically, by putting a relay in the gearbox wiring to prevent moving out of Park if the relay wasn't operated. Something to think about.

PS: I don't know what this is doing under Carpet Cleaning.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am most dissatisfied with the selector lever in the '77 Wraith: it is too close to the steering wheel and I have hit it several times with my fingers while turning. I have to do something for safety's sake but I'm not certain what.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too would be interested if Michael has any pics, or can give more details on how he fitted the interlock and what solenoid was used. From the description it appears the solenoid would fire every time the brake pedal was depressed. There must be a way of suppressing it, once the selector has been moved from the park position. Interesting project.

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen:

While I found Bob's comment to be entertainingly humorous, I do have to identify with the poster James Gibson's confusion as it is not readily apparent, especially to a newcomer, just how to start a new thread.

On the other hand it is clearly obvious how to respond to the current thread.

Making it difficult for new members and then making them feel foolish, even though I, too, laughed for minutes (thanks, Bob) is not a suitable way to treat those new members.

Would it therefore be possible to place a link somewhere on every thread page, maybe in the "options" area, or anyway really, that would quickly take one to a "new thread" page?

I'm just saying.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with you it isn't easy for a new member to just fit in they need help to find there way they must feel that they are in the right place to receive help with their queries. I must say that when I first posted on this forum that I was made feel welcome and received lots of help keeping my cars. (Hope nothing has changed)

Richard.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is another important reason to switch to new forum software. Popular software like phpbb that everybody is already familiar with, due to the millions of forums already using it.

I would hope that my joke would be taken in the spirit (pardon the pun) in which it was meant and cause no offence.

Having said this, the new poster only has to read their post to realise that it is in the wrong place, and then delete it and look for the correct place to post it.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob...

Yes, when I first read your comment, I almost had a hernia from laughing,

but you miss the point...which is HOW do you find the place where you find the "post new thread" even if you realized the current thread was incorrect?

Finding that "new thread" link is like looking for a needle in a haystack for a new member. So...excatly where is it again? The only way I have found it is to go to the main page by clicking on "topics", arbitrarily select a topic, and when the vast listing off all the threads in that topic opens, way down at the bottom is a tiny link to post a new thread. How would anyone know?

Is there an easier way? Do tell?

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2016 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes that link should be at the top of the page and not at the bottom.

But most people do still manage to find it - if they can be bothered to look for it.

Judging by the thousands of new topics on here, it's clear that most people do manage to find it, even if it takes longer than it should.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 - 12:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

I agree with your general point, but this forums software is no longer officially supported by those who created it and there is zero chance of having a change like you've noted actually made.

We all found it somehow way back when, and until or unless a transition to new forums software is made, everyone's in the same position that each and every one of us was when we were new here.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 979
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 02:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cleaning carpets! what in the heck has forum software to do with that.
Brian V you just write piffle for the sake of it.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 02:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

It's known as thread drift. It's a well known phenomenon, which is why search engines look at the actual text, rather than just the entry titles.

I most certainly cannot agree with your criticism of Brian.

Geoff

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No neither can I.

He was just re-iterating what other people have said. He wasn't the one responsible for the change of subject.

What a strange criticism.

Brian is one of the most helpful members on here.

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One day Patrick you may well need the help of Brians expertise , will you call it piffle then?
I think not!
Brian has helped me a lot and many thanks to him!
Mike

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That certain posters don't bother to read through the posts in a thread before posting utter piffle, and have done so repeatedly, is obvious.

Responding to a tangent under discussion in a thread is perfectly OK, period. Thread drift happens.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
I am always most grateful for your support on this forum.
Omar

David Gore

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please note this topic is in the General Discussion section of this Forum and accordingly posts are given considerable latitude in their content.

Perish the thought that this forum should ever become a heavily censored place where content that does not conform to the beliefs of those in a position to control content is deleted. IMHO, a vibrant forum with a wide range of content is to be preferred to a sterile rigorously edited forum where conformity rather than free expression prevails.

Freedom of expression is a fragile thing and continuously subject to attack. Lose it and getting this freedom back often has adverse consequences for those who value this privilege.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 471
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2016 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar I will second your comment and add my own.
(everybody needs somebody sometime)

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: