Shadow wrecked. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Shadow wrecked. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2015 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the telegraph UK.
A guy tried to tow a trailer with a Shadow on it from Wiltshire to Spain. He got 10 miles and the trailer started to snake and the Shadow ended up upside down in the Road. The tow car was a Toyota Rav 4.

3000kg being towed by a Rav 4.

I wonder about some people's thought processes.

I wouldn't tow it unless I had a 7.5 tonne GVW truck. Let alone to Spain.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 779
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2015 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a mess. To make things worse, the Rolls was not insured.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11686259/Runaway-Rolls-Royce-ends-up-on-its-roof.html

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2015 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would have thought that in the first 1/4 of mile a sensible driver would have figured out that it wasn't safe. And as for not thinking about insurance. What can one say. No mention of any prosecution which could follow. I wonder if his insurers for the Rav 4 know he towing a large trailer. I declared a 250 kg box trailer. This is what happens when trying to save money. From Wiltshire to Spain is Southampton then Northwest Spanish port forget its name. Best way is recovery truck to Southampton. Unload and then another lorry in Spain.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2015 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Borders on wanton vandalism. Even if the insurance had been in place, when the circumstances were revealed the meaning of the phrase "null and void" would be revealed.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2015 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am nearly speechless at the stupidity and utter waste of a seemingly good example of a fine car like this going into the parts recycling business.

Richard.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2015 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Makes ours worth a bit more.

shane alward
New User
Username: the_gambler

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 20 June, 2015 - 19:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

towing 101 make sure tow car is heavier. how many shadows do you guys think are in existence

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, 21 June, 2015 - 00:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was going to say this makes our cars worth a wee bit more but I thought it might be bad taste.

The guy is 66 years old and would have grandfather rights to tow a trailer. Now younger drivers have to take a test.

I suspect that his insurers will honour 3rd party claims. But because no doubt in the Rav 4s handbook is the max tow weight. It going to be around the 750kg mark so he's 4 times overloaded. I think any damage to Rav4 is not going to be covered.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.181.212.83
Posted on Sunday, 21 June, 2015 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see many reports of old men killing them selves and having similar accidents. Perhaps there should be an national senility test at age 60.
"If it doesn't look right,it isn't right".

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2015 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

66 isnt old. At 66 one should have the wisdom to know that the rig was dangerous. I suspect he is unfortunately a person that doesn't read about technical stuff.

However dementia can strike at any age. In the UK at 70 they ask if you feel ok to drive. No medical exam. Just ones word.

Getting it wrong is a £1000 fine though.

A £10k Silver Shadow should be drivable for that money. I don't know why he didn't just drive the car to Spain.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2015 - 03:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Might get a bit wet.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2015 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob UK,

While I agree that 66 isn't old, I really wish that it would become standard practice to give a road test every five years starting at 60 years and on.

Statistically speaking (at least in the U.S.) older drivers have far lower numbers of accidents in both the relative sense and per miles driven. However, I often wonder how many leave accidents in their wakes due to the way they drive.

More importantly, though, is the issue of dementia. That policy of accepting the word of the individual is a recipe for disaster when it comes to dementia (and enforcement would be difficult, too, because of issues surrounding competence as dementia progresses). I was very grateful that Pennsylvania enacted a law allowing physicians to report their patients to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) recommending either a retest or revocation of license. This went into effect mere weeks before I was going to have to go back home and take the keys and/or the car, if necessary.

My mother began exhibiting clear signs of dementia around 5 years ago and by 4 years ago really should not have been driving at all. It was the summer of 2011 when her physician wrote to the DMV recommending revocation of license. That saved me from having to deal with her wrath about that, and I had enough to deal with in trying to convince her that she wanted to move out of the house and into a combination independent and assisted living facility.

Dementia (regardless of the specific disease causing it) is an incredibly pernicious disease that affects both visual processing and the ability to recognize one's own strengths and weaknesses quite early on.

Brian

P.S. to Bob R.: You mean they haven't opened the automobile chunnel yet? ;-)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2015 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the case of the driver of the tow car, I would suggest the family be be very observant of his future behaviour and signs of increasing memory lapses even if they are short-term and considered just a normal consequence of ageing. There is a real problem in distinguishing between forgetfulness and memory loss due to dementia however erratic and unexplainable changes in behaviour are often the first confirmation of changes due to dementia.

My mother had dementia and spent the last years of her life in a secure dementia care facility as she was prone to "going for a walk" and ending up several suburbs away before she was transferred to the secure facility.

The first indication we had of the onset of dementia was a serious car accident when she drove through a stop sign and her car was "T boned" fortunately on the passenger's side. She was absolute in her belief she had right-of-way despite the "Stop" sign. I was on the receiving end of much admonition for taking her car away for repairs and not returning it afterwards as well as cancelling her licence not that this would have stopped her driving if she still had access to the car.

The main entry to the dementia facility had a sign at the reception desk which said:

"Dementia is going back down a road you have already travelled".

My experience with my mother confirmed this was a very good description as her dementia took over the last years of her life.

Christian S. Hansen
Experienced User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 22 June, 2015 - 19:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From the photos it appears that the car was under a car cover. Considering the many hours of flapping in the wind, the paint would have been a casualty at the very least I would think. From the various straps lying around I wonder how the car was secured to the trailer (the obvious answer being "not very well"), but that observation aside, makes you suspect that he simply threw the straps over the car, like you would secure a box or pallet, and in neutral with no parking brake? Hmmm...

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, 23 June, 2015 - 05:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The insurance statistics show that older drivers have less accidents than younger drivers. I have heard many denials by younger drivers of this fact. I sometimes dither at junctions etc but I don't try to beat the other car and run in to it. Or try to impress passengers by driving fast.

I find also that women drivers because of a total lack of car knowledge obey what the instructor says. Rather than blokes who think they know better. My sister is very safe driver. She never speeds keeps to the left and doesn't have accidents.

The channel tunnel is good for France but Its much easier to get the ferry to North Spain. Other wise its a journey over the pyrenees mountains.

On the other hand thats sounds like a nice road trip.

On my bucket list is the Paris Retro in a Shadow.

I have it all worked out.
gaffer tape oil drums to the car and an out board motor.

A few years back a Shadow ended up in poole harbour it didnt float for long.

Another wreaked Shadow. They put a chain though the door windows and dumped it on barge.

Sandbanks chain link ferry slipway. A few assorted cars have ended up in the water.

It is surprising how much slit gets in the cars in such a short time.

Dementia is a horrible thing it robs people of their identity. It leaves them with no identity.

I had dementia and as it cleared the hospital staff who didn't know me from adam said that as I got better I looked physically different and taller and started to interact with them.

My father got a bit cranky towards the end. He no longer drove. He kept the car in his drive which is his private property but wouldn't sell it in case the bloke next door parked his car in dads drive.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 280
Posted on Saturday, 27 June, 2015 - 13:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a horrid loss. If the poor chap had just mentioned what he was going to do we could have put him straight.

I would never have an Asian car towing any Rolls on a trailer. It's just not right.

Years ago I tried to trailer my 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood with my mates 1968 Chev Impala station wagon. I had to move it from the city into the country some 300 kilometres away. I hired a two axle trailer but as soon as I tried to exceed 30 mph the thing went spastic on me and I very nearly jack knifed it.

So I towed it for 300 kilometres at 25 mph. It was pouring rain and I got a flat. The hire company supplied a spare attached to the trailer that was the wrong stud pattern. I had 80 kilometres to go so I towed it until the tyre disappeared and the wheel customized itself into about one third of its size.

At 30 kilometres to go I was passing through a small town and the police hauled me over only to ask me what I was doing, I explained that the hire company gave me the wrong wheel and whilst I thought I was going to be led away on a chain and beaten like the family mule, they asked me in friendly manner if they thought I would make it to the farm and bid me a good farewell even though the damaged wheel was eating chunks out of the bitumen.

Never again will I trailer a classic heavy car, especially a Rolls Royce. Flat tilt tray only and the grill should be covered as a matter of respect.

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I towed a BMC Mini on a trailer with a Citroën CX est.
Going down a slight hill I started to brake for a roundabout and the trailer started to push on. Fortunately it was 1am and the roundabout was empty so I just let the rig roll on.
Thats the last time I towed cars on trailers.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For what it is worth - car trailers available here for hire are almost always fitted with over-ride brakes.

Unfortunately, these are not always checked for proper adjustment when they are hired out.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back in January 2012 when I picked up LRK37110 I had it trailered from Richmond to Staunton, VA.

Of course, the tow vehicle was a large truck and the trailer speaks for itself in these pictures (and has its own brakes):

From Front

From Rear

Before anyone comments on the lack of the wheels being tied down on all four wheels, we hadn't yet completed that part of the program. We didn't have "over the tire" straps so they were applied through the wheel openings at two points on each wheel.

Brian

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the car Brian, its absolutely fab.

shane alward
New User
Username: the_gambler

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 18:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

beautiful looking car. love the colour scheme

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, is the colour scheme Silver mink/ Peacock ? If so I have its twin in my Shadow 1, but with a peacock roof. I have never trailed aRolls, but I have trailled Jags etc on a similar trailer towed with a Landrover defender 90. The rule is imagine you have a laden cattle trailer on tow and drive accordingly.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Monday, 29 June, 2015 - 00:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

It's Silver Mink over Seychelles Blue. The odd thing, to me, is that the previous owner had the car repainted (at least partially) at one point and not due to an accident. I really can't imagine why.

She's currently in a state of suspended reanimation in my garage. I was working on her fairly continuously for almost two solid years before I lost the garage I was working in and other life issues interfered. I hope to get "back on that horse" sometime soon as I'd like to get the ignition finally redone on SRH33576 and put the "borrowed bits" back on to LRK37110.

I wasn't the driver on this little expedition. A friend of a friend owns the truck and trailer and agreed to assist me in getting the car from where it was to where I could begin bringing her back to life. Since she would barely run at the time it was quite the adventure trying to get her on to that trailer, which did not have any winch to pull her on with. I almost put her through the front of the trailer during the loading process.

Brian

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A very nice looking car Brian. I also like the wheel covers.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The silver mink over Seychelles blue is one of my favorite combinations. A beautiful Car!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Standard issue for the Wraith II and Corniche. Often referred to as the "dog dish" wheel covers.

Brian

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2015 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

Some may have all ready seen this is dangerous stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfFbQpmqWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVFO8pXxkY

Bob