Antifreeze change, sooner or later. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Antifreeze change, sooner or later. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, 15 November, 2004 - 02:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Antifreeze.
Like many products they have moved on in time and quality and are now guaranteed to last 10 years before a need for change.
I am now thinking that if some manufactors can make thermostats,water pumps,water hoses etc last all those years,cannot the same be carried out on the shadows.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, 15 November, 2004 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat.

It's a bit like engine oil. For example, Opel specify that the first (full synthetic) oil change should be at 60,000km. Guess how long the warranty, which includes free full maintenance, lasts ? This all means that modern engine oils are good for the life of the vehicle or longer.

In the past, warranty was void if dealer maintenance was not up to date. That ensured revenues for the dealers. Opel dealers are starting to hate General Motors: no more expensive and unnecessary maintenance, and owners go independent once the warranty has run out anyhow.

Crewe approved full synthetic oil years ago, but stuck to the antique change interval. Same old club conspiracy I'm sure, but I do change my Mobil 1 5W50 synthetic, and coolant, by the book for fun.

Now, if only a Crewe water pump would last just 10 years without the inherent risk of coming a gusher. Ho hum. Routine 5 year overhauls will continue for a while to avoid flatbedding.

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, 15 November, 2004 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat;

I can speak not to the standard stuff used by RR, whether this can last longer or not.

However, on GM’s use of the “Pink” coolant this stuff is meant to last at least 5 years if not the life of the car. Mechanics I have talked with recently have seen major problems with the fluid “eating up gaskets”. Seems the first to fall victim has been some plastic gaskets used in the GM V-6 in 1997 to 2000 years. These may still be in use but, these are the years in which mechanics have seen the problems. GM does not yet seem to see the problem but many aftermarket shops are recommending that people with this “pink” fluid change back to the good old “green” stuff before the cars hit 3 years old.

Again this dose not effect our Shadows but just another case in point that for every improvement in one area there seems to be a pay-back in another. I guess I will keep to flushing all my cars at intervals no longer than 3 years regardless of what manufacturers claim.

Best regards,
Bill

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, 15 November, 2004 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill - you have again confirmed my long-standing belief that it is best to wait some time before adopting "long-life" products/practices until sufficient time has elapsed for all and/or any problems to come to the surface. You can do all the laboratory and durability testing you like but only when the product hits the real world is it tested properly!

The same reason you never buy the first model of a new car - wait at least for the first update where the inherent problems hopefully have been fixed!!!

(Message edited by david_gore on November 15, 2004)

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, 16 November, 2004 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you gentlemen.
I will go for the 5 year life antifreeze and replace hoses as they have been on the car for 10 years.
Also the thermostat.
As for the water pump still no problem after my 25 years of use,i shall fit a repair kit though at the same time.
Richard are the seals a prob or the bearings?
Just a thought on the fan balance.

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, 16 November, 2004 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Life is not simple.
Finding the types of antifreeze,One of silacates and one of phosphates etc.
I now find that jap cars must have the phosphate type which is red because of the seals they use.
Has me thinking about Shadow pump seals any thoughts,thanks.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, 17 November, 2004 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a relevant reference.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa052601a.htm

It seems that phosphates are not preferred in Europe as they tend to produce scale unless distilled water is used. What's the opinion in Oz ?

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, 17 November, 2004 - 03:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is another article that will give some insight into antifreeze. However, like the article noted by Richard it is more than a year old and does not address the new problems being found on GM cars:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/ferrari/464/coolant.htm

Regards,
Bill

Martin Cutler
Yet to post message
Username: martin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 17 November, 2004 - 11:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

This is an interesting area of discussion. I have still not been able to remove the thermostat from my MK VI to properly flush it with compressed air and water. I was able to back flush the radiator with good results, and an inprovement to cooling. I have purchased a little filter that sits in situ on the top radiator hose, used by the histeric racing car mob. I have fitted it to the top hose of the MG Magnette at the moment, as this car is in daily use, and sees a good few miles. Quite a bit of time was spent cleaning out the water jacket last time I had the motor apart, but the radiator is original and never been serviced. I am always very careful to thoroughly flush the system before changing the coolant. As the article says, if some of the old coolant is still in there, it can reduce the effectiveness of the new coolant quite quickly.

Remember to turn the heater on when you flush the system!

Summer is nearly here, and whilst the MG usually runs quite cool, I may change the coolant again and use a long life coolant to test it out.

Setting up an inline filter in the Bentley is the next little weekend job for me. With the amount of gunk that came out in the last flush, I reckon there is still a large amount of gunk in the system.

Marty

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, 17 November, 2004 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Gents,i am digesting the above and let you no what type i will use in the Shadow!

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2004 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have gone for the GM long life.
150,000 miles or as Bill states 5 years or longer
Will be monitering the 50/50 mix three years and yearly.
GM have full backing on the product.
We will see.

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2004 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat;

If they cover yours let me know have a friend who spent over U$2000.00 due to this problem (and only after 4 years) and GM refused to cover one cent of the cost! I think he has sent it to his lawyer.

Regards,
Bill

Patrick Lockyer.
Prolific User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2004 - 17:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, Crums does not look good.
Thanks.