Alcorn's Silver Shadow, Letterkenny C... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Alcorn's Silver Shadow, Letterkenny Co. Donegal. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No comment. Can't think of anything to say.

green rolls

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff that must be a first for you, I wonder where in the world that this car would get sitting there with all these parts still left on it I wonder how long the flowers will last when all the bright stuff gets stolen.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 742
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard

Lol. You're right.

I guess the security cameras will keep the car intact. Alcorn's say on their website it's a scrap car, but it does make one wonder if they realise the value of all that brightwork and the other parts.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 10:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to say that most people have no idea of the value of the parts from these cars.

There was a one-series Shadow that I used to pass in Berkley Springs, WV, that sat at the back of the same auto parts store for over 10 years, and was visible from the road. A bit after that it was sold or given to a used car dealer just down the road (and having looked at the condition of the interior alone, it was only suitable for parts after the amount of time it sat).

I never noticed a thing stolen from it in all that time.

I had no idea of what most of the parts were worth on my cars at one time. It's sad to me that the cars are worth far more parted out than as fully functioning automobiles. Thus is the current situation with the SY (and SZ too, I'd say) series cars.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 10:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although the value of the parts is high. What happens is that the popular parts sell well but once sold its gone. Then you get left with 3/4 of a car nobody wants. Depends on how long you are prepared to sit on the parts.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 11:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This photo is the ultimate in bad taste. I would not do that to a Shadow even if I was a billionaire. That said, if the parts go missing I am the one in the balaclava on the CCTV.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Until or unless you get an SY series car with standard coachwork, don't you dare show up there in your balaclava!!

There are others that might be there ahead of you and we'd hate to have to hurt you!!

Brian

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seriously it would be interesting to get some pictures of SY 'conversions' for reference. Hopefully not in the Alcorn style but still at least useable. Locally we have a station wagon which is in regular use and somewhere there is one with a wobbler protruding through the bonnet. The Australian Govt had 2 four door cabriolets both of which finished up in The States many years ago.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 303
Posted on Saturday, 06 June, 2015 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BILL I haven't seen one of those for a long time WOBBLER that is!!!!

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2015 - 02:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suppose as a landmark the shadow works. But I see no connection to flowers.

I raided the place last night with some leprechauns and dead headed the flowers.

Planting flowers in old cars is an old idea. Normally a 2CV.

I want the over riders. My two front ones are horrible. I replaced the rear with new in 92 and they were 86 quid each. Now near 300 quid each.

Hence a recent posting from me suggesting a way of how to make.

I wonder what the triangular hole in the back is for.