The secret world of Cunifer or is it ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » The secret world of Cunifer or is it Kunifer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2015 - 13:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anybody know anything about Cunifer or Kunifer brakes lines and if this product is sold in Australia ?

Prior to information I received on the Silver Cloud tech page, I had never heard or seen this type of brake line.

There is some talk on the net in forums on other makes that this type of brake line does not comply with Australian Design Rules and unbelievably Porsche, Aston Martin and Audi fit it as standard.

I have placed a call my states machinery department inspector and am waiting for a call back.

It looks like a good product and its reportably not subject to corrosion being an amalgam of copper nickel and manganese but I don't want to spend time making up the Camargue's new brake lines just to have an inspector say I can't use it.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2015 - 15:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir,

All you need to know about 90/10 CuproNickel alloy:

http://australwright.com.au/copper-nickel-alloys/

Austral Wright Metals Products would be one source:

http://australwright.com.au/astral-wright-metals-products/products-copper-brass-bronze/

The Austral Wright stock sizes are as below:

90/10

Another possibility would be CuNi a subsidiary of MEI:

http://www.cuni.com.au/

If either of these suppliers do not stock the tube size you require and they continue the practice from my time in the specialty steel distribution industry of referring you to stockists who would carry the size you require, a simple request should give you the information you need or one of our members may have personal knowledge of an Australian supplier.

I suspect Austral Wright is a supplier whose parents were Austral Bronze who had a non-ferrous plant just up O'Riordan Street in Alexandria from where I worked as a Service Metallurgist with Comsteel and Wright & Co who were the Australian distributor of International Nickel alloys and later a competitor of ours in the stainless steel market who were located a few streets away from both of us. For this reason, their heritage is one which I would expect to continue the past practice of the Australian specialty metal distribution industry.

I am at a loss to explain why this product would be banned in Australia, if this is correct, as IMHO, it is a far better and safer material than steel for vehicle brake lines.

Trevor pickering
New User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2015 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used this material several times in the past and not had any problems with inspections here in WA

regards

Trevor

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I understand some higher-end European cars use it for brake lines; it is fully approved.
Copper-Nickel-Iron alloy, hence CuNiFer
I buy it at a BrakeQuip dealer. Very easy to work with, bends well, yet retains its shape nicely. Corrosion resistant. Not too expensive. I did some replumbing of SRH9391's brake system with it and I recommend it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This stuff is God's gift to anyone who's replumbing brakes. I think Volvo was the company who first introduced this to production cars, and given that their reputation is built on safety, that says something.

As Randy says, it bends very well without losing its shape and its a lot more forgiving if you need to push/pull a tiny bit to get the ends where you need them to be to finish off the connection.

The difference in price is well worth it, at least to me, given the vastly increased ease of working with the stuff and the fact that it doesn't corrode.

Brian

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have never used anything else - and have no intention of doing without it in future. I replaced a lot of brake pipes on SRH24518 3 years ago and they're still clean and shiny.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2015 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, I am still waiting for the Machinery Inspector to call and confirm there will be no scallywag objections to my use of Cunifer lines on the Camargue but as we pay taxes here to have our government staff hide behind phone answering robots, that call may never eventuate.

Facinating that after 40 years on the spanners I have only just learned about this type of brake line after all the years of hell bending up steel brake lines for mine vehicles with corroded pipes that have to be replaced.

You can never learn everything in the trade and that why this forum is so much value for money even though its free to use.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, 02 May, 2015 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I first used the stuff in the 70's when I replaced the whole braking system on a Standard Vanguard. Why it should have taken so long for the word to get out baffles me.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 188.29.164.184
Posted on Saturday, 02 May, 2015 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bundy tube is steel and tape rolled 720 degrees to form tube.

It is not very good but lasts about 10 years.

I have been using copper and cunifer. for fuel and brake for over 30 years. I have never had a problem.

When making shadow pipes remember to fit the id colour sleeve. Heat shrink Could be used or paint.

My lpg system is copper clad in rubber. This is made for lpg stuff.

(Message approved by david_gore)