Who made yours? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Who made yours? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 28 January, 2015 - 21:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84838260&feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-ts=1422327029&v=cjnZGQZAoHU

After watching the above utube video, at 7min 15 sec the grille is stamped TT. This reminded me my Camargue is also stamped TT, as is most Camargues I have seen.

cam

My Shadow II is stamped WW.

I have met Derek Moulton. He was one of the ten Crewe Grille makers. If you have a DM this is him.

dm

My guess is the Goodwood grilles are not handmade. Another tradition lost.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 01:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Goodwood grilles are not proper Rolls-Royce grilles.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 03:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

The grille on my 1979 Shadow II is marked "CCC".

Kind regards,

Chris

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Frequent User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An excellent video of the process, but where exactly on the grill are these marks and do you have to remove the grill from the car to see them.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad, the letters are stamped near the hole on the back of the radiator, you know, this hole where you insert the Allen key to remove the Lady.

Mine is PTW, left the factory in December 1984, Corniche DHC.

Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 10:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know I may be going blind but I can't see any letters stamped near that hole. The grill on my Camargue is in absolutely perfect condition. But there are strange things about JRH23682 like the fact that the engine has 8.1 stamped on the top front of the block which I thought announced its compression ratio. Then ferreting through the Hunt House documents the engine number is listed as SYL15925. But I am told by somebody who is trying to sell me a fully reconditioned engine that RR never stamped the compression ratio on the block and that SYL15925 cant be the engine number. Indeed some clown has buffed A side of the block down that much the engine number has been removed completely. Anyway that life

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

You probably are already aware the numbers of stolen engines are ground off to avoid detection when sold and installed in another vehicle and the vehicle is inspected for registration. It is possible a replacement engine of dubious origin was installed by a previous owner.

I recall reading somewhere that genuine replacement Shadow engines from Crewe were not stamped with a number and the installing dealer would stamp the block with the vehicle chassis number less the letter code to retain "matching numbers". This may be a myth or true and someone may be able to enlighten us appropriately.

Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, I did contemplate the fact that it may have been a stolen engine until I removed the cylinder head A side. It appears that some cretin had decked the block with a hand held air tool and possibly buggered it as some of the liners appear to sit less than one thou proud. However, the Hunt House documents appear to announce on the Engine Assembly page that not only the engine had a number but that the crankshaft, timing gear, both cylinder heads, oil pump, pinion etc all had a serial numbers. I am yet to match up all the numbers as the motor is in a dark room at my place, my eyesight is failing, etc, But I will get to the bottom of the mystery and if I do find out that the engine is stolen I will have great pleasure, having been years ago entitled to sit the New York Bar exam of suing the dealer I bought it off of. I even have the Nebraska Certificate of Title for the car and of course it doesn't state any engine number at all. The car was mortgaged by a number of banks in the US too. Overall, I would bet that the market for stolen RR/B engines would be if it ever existed quite small read microscopic. After all why would anybody even a hard working thief want to go to the drama of removing the engine from the car given that it's not the nicest thing to work on. Thanks for putting me in touch with Phil.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...and to add to your misery, your grille surely is a Chinese fake as it does not have those stamped initials of the craftsman who build it (hoho)

(just kidding)

Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes JP, you surely have a sense of humour especially as you live in Luxenburg. I doubt the Chinese could produce something like this grille unless it was for their military.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Thursday, 29 January, 2015 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, happy to help - Phil was very supportive of the Shadow self-help group we started in NSW when I was the Branch Technical Officer. The following photograph was taken at a "fix-it" day in November 2001 in Phil's workshop; my co-organiser is addressing the assembled multitude with Phil watching on. The R-R V8 engine has many uses as can be seen in the photograph......