RR363 and change interval Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RR363 and change interval « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jones
New User
Username: carl888

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please forgive my ignorance regarding RR363.

I notice in the Silver Shadow manual I have, edition 1973, it gives no recommendation as to a change of brake/self levelling fluid. Only that if the system is breached then a bleeding procedure is mentioned.

Bearing in mind the highly hygroscopic nature of such a fluid, I would suggest this is somewhat remiss of Rolls Royce to ignore this point.

Apart from a "Hose change" recommended at 80,000 kms and a "Complete rebuild" of the brake system at 160,000 kms, no time limit is specified.

Every other manufacturer from this period that I have studied at least stipulates an annual fluid change.

Surely changing the fluid regularly will prolong the life of the brake caliper seals and associated valving, master cylinder (If fitted) and the self levelling platforms.

I have seen entire braking systems rendered completely unserviceable by failure to change the brake fluid regularly.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Carl,
In the Service Schedules and Record book which came with my 1979 Shadow 2 (published in 1977) it states that RR363 hydraulic fluid should be drained and renewed every 48,000 miles or 4 years. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Chris

Carl Jones
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 - 20:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris thank you. I wonder when the reference to the suggested fluid change occurred?

May I ask in your service book does it still suggest rebuilding the entire system at 160,000 kms (100,000 miles)?

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2015 - 03:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Carl,

In the service book it is called an "HB" service which should be done every 96,000 miles or eight years. It states that all flexible hoses and the seals in the brake calipers and G valve, in the rat trap, must be renewed as well as draining and cleaning out the hydraulic reservoir before refilling with RR363 and bleeding the entire system. I did mine five years ago and there were fifteen flexible hoses to change. It is not the sort of job you can do in an afternoon! It is a time dependant service rather than mileage because the RR363 is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture over time. As a matter of interest, when I replaced my hoses, the old ones were date marked and some were dated 1978 so were in fact original and over 30 years old. They were in an appalling state and several of them were cut open on removal and they were so swollen and degraded that there was barely a hole down the middle for the fluid to move down. They also tend to bulge with age and I have actually seen one burst on a Shadow (not mine, thankfully) which makes a huge mess. If one was to burst when the car was moving, there would be the additional problem of corrosive fluid being sprayed onto paintwork, both your own and whoever happened to be following you!

Kind regards,

Chris

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 924
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2015 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From Rolls Royce LTD 1979 Quote 'H1'Service every 24000 miles or two years.

Brake hydraulic systems, drain off the hydraulic fluid, clean out hydraulic reservoirs and clean site glasses.
Fill the system with fresh Castrol RR 363 brake fluid and bleed the system.

Two year fluid change is correct and still is for most OE manufactures of today.

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2015 - 05:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The eight years or 96,000 miles in my post referred to the hose and seal change, not the fluid. RR363 fluid changes are recommended in my service book (TSD4263 printed 1977) every four years or 48,000 miles
Kind regards,
Chris

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2015 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like the two year fluid change update TSD 4117 January 1979 was needed as the old four year fluid change found failings within the braking system!

Bob UK,
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2015 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two years seems to be the norm for most makers. However 3 years is OK, if a car is used regularly the fluid gets warm which boils off moisture. If a car is little used then maybe every year would be best. If using YAK363 then it's cheap and easy to change every year.

I suspect systems ruined by not changing fluid had the fluid in for quite a few years not just 4 years. Lack of use is a bigger killer of hydraulics.

I change about every 2 years one must not worry about dot otherwise one gets the dot twitch and paranoia. If RR363 never happens again then it's YAK and every year changes.

Dot 4 is £15 for 5 litre plastic can. Nice and cheap.

Although this has been covered before. The hydroscopic nature of dot is intentional so that moisture cannot rust stuff. The additives in dot stop rust. If the dot were not hydroscopic the water would separate and the dot additives can't work if they have been displaced by water.

So don't worry

(Message approved by david_gore)

Carl Jones
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 16 January, 2015 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you everyone for the replies.