Temp gauge laser. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Temp gauge laser. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.71
Posted on Monday, 17 November, 2014 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maplins. £19.99.

Digital temp gauge point laser red dot type.
I have ordered one for doing my hvac on cars.
also many other uses.
sort of tool that allows a bit of lateral thinking when diagnosing stuff.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 703
Posted on Monday, 17 November, 2014 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What's the temp range it can detect/display?

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, 18 November, 2014 - 00:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

-35 to +365 c

Seems like a bargain.

Here's the link:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-n92fx

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, 11 December, 2014 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi guys
I got one these temp things of eBay. I was worried that the Viscous Fan wasn't working cos the temp of the old girl was on the rise we had a 40c temp day here in Rockhampton and she got to 120 c on the temp gauge witch is boiling .I did place the temp gauge sender in the outlet on the outlet pipe which is not the right place cos its the hottest place. The temp reduces as I scroll down the radiator with the temp some 30 c difference. Dumb mistake to throw out the clock to put a 2/5/8s in in its place.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.71
Posted on Friday, 12 December, 2014 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To check viscous couplings, hold fan with a hammer handle, start engine rev to 1500 rpm then let the fan go. It should speed up fast with a rush of air.

The radiator should be hotter at the top. The heat should be even across the rad but gradually falling vertically.

If it is then the radiator is doing it's job properly.

The laser temp gauge is so useful.

When a machine is working correctly. Temperatures of various parts could be recorded. When a fault happens the temperatures can be compared.
This is common practice on ships.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, 12 December, 2014 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks.

I'll try that..

cheers

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 198
Posted on Friday, 12 December, 2014 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've got one of these on my Christmas list.

Could somebody please explain what this means:
"Dumb mistake to throw out the clock to put a 2/5/8s in in its place."

I'm sure I am not the only one who doesn't have the code book.

Duane Ridenour
Experienced User
Username: kg4ibj

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2014 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm with Bob on help in translating that phrase.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 712
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2014 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the numbers should read as two and five eighths, but why would anyone want to replace a (?car?) clock with a socket of that diameter escapes me.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, 18 December, 2014 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My humble apologies for that silly reference of 2/5/8s it should have been,two and five eighths
the size of the hole where clock resided where I put a temperature gauge. Would you believe I now lost the clock that I want to put back. Geez it gets hard sometimes .

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.74
Posted on Friday, 19 December, 2014 - 10:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am contemplating removing my amp meter and replacing with a temperature gauge also one of the lads on this site fitted a combined temp/ oil pres gauge.

However because I have lpg only I could remove the petrol gauge as well and have a separate oil gauge.

If I do I will try to leave the old gauges behind the dash board for safe keeping.

The clock missing can easily be replaced with a modern dial clock. Original ones ( kensil) are available and we're fitted to other brit cars such as jag. David manners jaguar is the UK go to place for the modern version of this clock.

It's so easy for parts that have been removed to go astray over the years. I lost the original Motorola radio. These now fetch a pretty price. I still have the wood surround. I wish I had wrapped it up and stored in the loft.

A time clock in a car is a must. My jeep has a outside temp gauge and a compass but no clock how stupid is that. I suspect that the original radio had a clock. I fitted a small clock with its own battery to save chopping the dash. It's glued to the bottom of the mirror. But this is a Royce Royce not a badly built jeep. At least with a shadow it's screwed together not clipped together. Which makes this sort of work quite easy. Such a good design. I would ultimately like to have a corniche style 4 instrument in one the same size as the Speedo but that sounds very much harder and expensive.

Also local to me is a car parts business that is being run by the great grandson of the founder. The business has never moved in 80 years. They keep old stock up stairs. They have things like 1970s car clocks. Which at the time were car accessories rather than factory fitted. They charge up to date prices though because they have looked after it for 40 years.

Every town in the UK has a shop like this. I suspect that the rest of the world is the same.