Battery Charger? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Battery Charger? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 520
Posted on Sunday, 26 October, 2014 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need to buy a battery charger. I have in mind a multiple function medium priced one that can deliver up to 75, maybe 100 Amps. This would be really useful in bench testing things like the starter motor or even light bulbs. However, I believe that modern chargers need to detect a voltage before they will charge, which makes them useless as a bench power supply. I really do not know enough about chargers to make an informed decision on the best charger to buy. Could anyone advise me on this.

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Sunday, 26 October, 2014 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

If you have a local NAPA store near you stop in and see what they have that meets some or all of your criteria.

When I was in recently they had an unbelievably small trickle charger/jump starter combination that also had USB ports so that you could use it to charge a wide range of devices as well.

There are also plenty of "old tech" chargers still available for sale. The Schumacher SE-1252MA I have behaves such that it will fast cycle (essentially shutting off, but not quite) when it detects a full charge but will crank out either 2 Amps or 10 Amps to a discharged battery. It also has a 50 Amp position that's meant for starting that I've never used and is supposed to be used for a maximum of 10 seconds on with at least 3 minute breaks between each cycle for that use. These have been out there "forever" and still appear to be available in pretty much the same setup.

You'll probably learn more in a few minutes at a good auto parts store about what's available, even if they don't have it, than a couple of hours of web research would turn up.

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Sunday, 26 October, 2014 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I brought a Sealy 160amp starter charger in 1985 for £80. These are still available. It charges at 5 amps on its lowest setting and 50 amps on max. With 160amps for 20 seconds for starting.

For testing stuff a lead acid battery and a cheap 5 amp charger will do the job fine. The battery doesn't need to be very big.

To test a 3 hp starter needs around 200 amps which is a big transformer.

I have a car battery under my bench connected permanently to a battery charger which I use for testing stuff via a 20 amp circuit breaker. The battery gives a steady ripple free volts.

Battery chargers are crude power supplys because they don't have smoothing capacitors. The output has ripples from the ac supply voltage. Connect a car radio and the hum is awful. Connect a car battery in parallel and the hum goes.

Another manufacturer of the bigger chargers is abstaar who are favourite for model railways.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 521
Posted on Sunday, 26 October, 2014 - 12:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian and Bob

Thanks for your help.

I'm clear now as to what I want. I used to have a high output charger with the facility to start a car, but like Brian, I never used it. Like everyone else on this forum, I have more than one car, so the situation where I would need an emergency start on a flat battery never occurs. Just a case of using the other car to go buy a new battery. So I will just go for a good quality trickle charger. I will use a battery as a bench power supply, as Bob does. It occurs to me that a starter motor connected directly to a battery charger for a bench test, without the battery, will likely damage the charger. Sorted.

Geoff

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Monday, 27 October, 2014 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I never jump start except in emergency. I find it safer to charge at 10 amps for an hour. Jump starting and using the cars alternator to charge the battery leads to a breakdown later on in the day.

I also have a small 3 amp charger which is handy for a 48 hour trickle charge it shuts off automatically. Or I use a timer plug thingy.

My man cave workshop has an earth leakage contactor which supplys 240vac. The big red button turns everything off.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, 27 October, 2014 - 12:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's getting hard to find a charger for 6 volts and I still have a car which requires it. I finally found a Schauer low-amp charger which works well enough. I want to get a trickle charger for the Silver Shadow. I noticed the new Corvette Stingray has an optional "battery saver" for $100 or so; the dealer says it's a built-in trickle charger for garage queens which don't get regular exercise.
I also bought a tiny jump starter made by Antigravity, for $85. A co-worker's brother bought one from a Snap-On salesman who calls on his shop, after he saw it jump start a F250 Diesel.I found mine at Amazon on-line; have yet to prove it out, though. It also has several adaptors to charge cell phones, etc. and has a built-in LED lamp. It would easily fit in the glove compartment and might save your bacon in a dead battery situation.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Tuesday, 28 October, 2014 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To charge 6 volt battery with 12 volt charger put a headlamp bulb in series with the battery. By loading the bulb with other bulbs the amps can be adjusted. Series less amps parallel more amps.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, 28 October, 2014 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or charge two 6v batteries in series.