Tyres. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Tyres. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Friday, 24 October, 2014 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I got my Jeep moted it passed. Good o.

The tester said that there's talk of the age of tyres. He is saying 5 years.

Given that tyres are made stored, warehoused, distributed and then eventually sold. It could mean that a tyre is two years old before it's used.

In the UK recently a coach went off the road and killed the driver and a passenger. A tyre that was 20 years old failed. The report doesn't conclusively say age caused the tyre failure only that the tyre failed and caused the accident.

This is very relevant to old cars like we have. One may find one self scrapping good but old covers and fitting new tyres.

I have seen old tyres with obvious problems that one wouldn't drive on. I have driven many cars with old tyres that looked and felt ok and never had a problem.

In general a tyre that is going to fail will given warning via viberation or similar. I have seen this and found egg shaped bulges and cracks. If one does the weekly tyre check when washing the car then I see no problem.

Hopefully the age limit will apply only to trucks and buses and the tyre makers actually say ten years.

There are no reports of car crashes due to the age of the tyres.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, 24 October, 2014 - 17:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have that law in Dubai.
Any tyre older than 5 years is a guaranteed fail even if the tyre has only done one mile in its life.
I am happy to have this law as it protects me from the people I share the roads with.
Dont see the tyre age issue as being bad. The coach incident you mentioned is a classic example of how things can go wrong.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, 24 October, 2014 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Untill a few years ago I worked for the Bridgestone Group.
It is fact that tyres will degrade with age, however carefull you are. Direct sunlight will speed up that process.
However, they came to the conclusion that, under normal circumstances and use, a tyre should be good for 10 years after the manufacturing date.
After that the compound loses too much of it's flexibility, which can cause cracks and deformation.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, 24 October, 2014 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob/ Some years ago I bussed down to the coast from Canberra to bring back a rather nice 85 Spirit. It had enjoyed a rather sedate life so to bring it back to Canberra I exercised the treadle rather vigorously. All went well. The following day I took the car in for a wheel alignment. While helping myself to coffee and biscuits I was summoned by a shriek from under the car. The ashen faced mechanic pointed unbelievably at the near side front tyre. The mesh reinforcement had managed to work itself out from under the tread and was hanging down the side of the carcass! The tyres were the original Avons which by my choice I restrict to my wheelbarrow and ride-on mower!! The treads were excellent but when we found the date of manufacture it was 2 years prior to the manufacture of the car!!!

A Phantom VI I coddle to stave off disposal through Auction to some foreign clime, is now wearing 6 year old crossplies that have done a mere 10000K. At $1000 each I hesitate to discard them but given the nature of use and the passenger it carries, I feel duty bound to replace them.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Saturday, 25 October, 2014 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

What type of tyres are you going to suggest for the replacement, more crossplies or radials?

Given the use of Phantom VI and current conditions, run-flat tyres might be the right selection.

Like you, I would not want to see the Phantom sold and replaced with a fleet car however the powers-that-be might have other ideas in the current climate.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.79
Posted on Saturday, 25 October, 2014 - 08:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am sure that radials would work fine and the passengers won't notice.

The coach crash cannot be definitively blamed on the age of the tyre.

The age of a tyre and it's degradation depend upon conditions of use and storage to such a large extent that a definite age cut off point is impossible set. I would say that common sense prevails and don't drive at 70 mph on old tyres. But a Austin Seven at 30 mph is a different kettle of fish. I would be happy to drive a Austin Seven on 10 year old tyres providing I have checked them for defects, as the highway code of practice says to do.

A new tyre has 10 mm of tread in the wet is 10mm safer than 5mm. And what is the safe minimum in the wet. The law suggests 1.6mm what about 1.59mm. I would say that the safe minimum is more than 1.6 maybe 3mm.

Incidently bald tyres are not safe on dry roads because the now missing tread blocked allowed the tyre to wriggle on corners to offset the speed of the outside edge of the tyre against the inside of the same tyre which is trying to go slower, sort of. And bald tyres get punctures.

Carl Jones
Yet to post message
Username: carl888

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2014 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bob,

I am sure your message was meant with the best of intentions however your claims about tyre life are incorrect. The owners manuals of most cars specifically mention not to use tyres more than about 7 years old.

Additionally, apart from the risk of carcas failure or delamination, the performance of aged tyres is well known. When I was regularly testing tyres some years back I fitted a Mercedes W126 with new Michelin XWX tyres and braked until the ABS was activated from 120 km/h to a stop.

We then did the same test with identical XWXs however they were new old stock, and were 15 years old. They had been stored sealed in a dry environment and appeared new. At the same braking distance when the "New" tyres came to a stop, the "Old" tyres were still doing 28 km/h!

The problem with old tyres, it's not when you're pottering down the street when you need the grip, it's when a truck pulls out in front of you on a wet and cold evening. Evasive maneuvers and panic braking test a tyre to the limit.

As for the "There are no reports of car crashes due to the age of the tyres" please see:

http://www.etonline.com/news/144772_New_Report_93_MPH_Speed_Old_Tires_Caused_Paul_Walker_Crash/

The age of the tyre is mentioned, here, perhaps this is the accident that you refer to originally:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bestival-coach-crash-families-demand-2057780

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-23334095

And:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=129404

I have seen two friends that have experienced accidents due to the failure of old tyres, in once case, the vehicle was destroyed.

Bridgestone have quite a good write up here:

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/age.aspx

Finally, most car tyres now age faster than they used to BTW, the high silica content used extensively in the last 10 years is the reason. Be warned.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2014 - 13:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,
I knew about the coach crash I have seen many such failures which has caused no accidents unfortunately in this case a trye failed a just the worst moment. Tragic.

I and a few others in the know are suggesting 10 years. 30 year old tyres is taking the Mick. I am sure that by the time I stuck my fingernails in it I would reject it, and 94 mph on old tyres is just as stupid. Uhh

I once drove a car that had old tyres and within yards I wasn't happy. Five new tyres made a huge difference.

My tyres are 2.5 mm and 10 years so they are finished and it's time to splash on New boots.
it's difficult to pin point a cut off point.

We in the UK think that because bus and truck operators are app to cut costs that maybe legislation is required but on the other hand operators tend to make full use of spare wheels so tyres tend to all worn out before 10 years and once warned operators are checking that old tyres aren't used. Plus the testers will extra check when they detect old tyres.

In the case of cars, most cars do 10,000 miles a year so five years and 50,000 miles later the tyres are most definitely finished. Not many tyres escape. We rely on the good sense of the car owner once they have been told by the media of the perils of old tyres.

Of course if suddenly a rash of accidents happen due to old tyres then we re visit the issue.

This is the British way of doing things. Anyway ten years is a long time so the cost of boots is affordablely spread pout. Five tyres equals 1/2 a tyre a year £2 a week for proper ones.

I don't do used tyres only new.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Saturday, 13 December, 2014 - 15:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

Given the use of the PIV watched over by Bill Coburn, being shod with the best tyres available is an absolute priority IMHO and there is absolutely no way I would ever take chances with the tyres.

It may seem I am talking in riddles but there are very valid reasons for not disclosing details of this vehicle.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.91
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2014 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I maybe know of this particular car. If it was up to me it would be fitted with the correct tyres regardless of cost. I would change every 3 years, because the rubber is getting stiffer and the ride is important with this car especially given its passengers. This car was designed for cross ply tyres, radials are absolutely safe to use. The only problem could be noise, however at slow speeds they should be quiet.
What does the tyre supplier recommend.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.80
Posted on Sunday, 14 December, 2014 - 10:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This thread has brought back an old memory.

I used to visit a friends parents who lived in the Royal Mews in Buckingham palace. Her dad was an ex guardsman and in conversation he said that he was detailed to check over the golden coach for the Prince of Wales wedding. He asked me about taper roller bearings. He was very concerned that the coach is fully serviced and not just painted and polished. I suggested 0.002 end float.
The wheels didn't fall off on the day.

A few years after Michael fagin Sat on the queens bed while the queen was in bed and security was tightened up and I wasn't allowed to visit. Shame because it was also a good place to park, I had a platoon of guardsmen to look after the van.

One Christmas I was visiting and the kids who live in the mews were having a party. A guy and some guards men suddenly stood up and the Queen walked in told the kids to have a good Christmas and then went.