Leds. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Leds. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Monday, 20 October, 2014 - 10:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The SY 1 does not have a rear fog lamp. And someone said pit a red led bulb in the reversing lamp on the offside. Which is a cracking idea which I am going to do.

So I have been checking out led bulbs for cars.
The bulb costs £12 and consists of a nest of red leds with a bayonet fitting.
Halfords strangley sell super bright bulbs which are not road legal and are for show use.
maplins sell 12vdc 3mm dome leds for switch indication that have built in resistors at 79pence each.

Incandescent bulbs get hot and my worry is that the lens would melt if used for a long time.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 905
Posted on Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 - 04:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cree-Can-Bus-Super-bright-Brake-Light/dp/B00G4GG6RU

Bob have ordered one of the above.
Will let all know if it is ok without a resister.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 - 05:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat, I am sure that a resistor is already built into the led bulb. And that it is plug and play.

All I have to do is disconnect the wire to the reverse bulb and connect the fog wire instead and pop a led in. 5 min job.

I am not concerned about saving electric power.

However led festoon bulb for interior lights are available for extended map reading with engine off.

I carry flashing push bike leds for emergency use in very dark Dorset lanes.

I thought the price for auto bulb leds a bit pricey. I shall ask my car parts go to guy.

A 1/8 watt resistor will run a few leds. Each led does not need its own resistor.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just read that leds for cars are safer because they respond quicker than incandescent bulbs!!!!!!!

What a load of old cobblers.

Also because they use less power they save fuel, and pay for themselves after 100 billion miles. I made the fuel saving bit up.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 - 18:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am sure that a resistor is already built into the led bulb. And that it is plug and play.

Bob you are correct of course, working on to many can bus systems!!!!!!

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can bus sounds like a lager delivery truck.

My parts guy said he can get these bulbs at a cheap price in bulk but he is not asked often for them so he keeps six in stock to keep the go faster lads happy. So no cheap ones.

How to make diy.
leds are available in bulk 100 for a quid.
These are 2 to 3v So 4 or 5 in series as a set then connect however many sets in parallel. That way no resistor is required. Then remove the glass from the bulb and use the cap as a plug and structure to mount the leds.

Problem.
stop lamp failure device senses load and the indicator relay senses load namely 42 watts. This means that leds can't be used. This is why the parts guy doesn't sell many.

Modern cars with factory fitted leds are not fitted with these sort of Led clusters. So I see little future in led clusters in replacement for incandescent bulbs.
Except for Shadow rev to fog modification.
side lights maybe but the stop tail is one bulb. Interior lights would be useful. Boot light underbonnet light.

Warm light versions are available for interior lighting.

Leds last 50,000 hours.