Juice binders. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Juice binders. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.93
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2014 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I heard a guy call hydraulic brakes juice binders.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 670
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2014 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Probably still has brake blocks on his bicycle.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.91
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2014 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The first brake I made was a stick rubbing on the ground.

Best front brake I saw on a motorbike was a dynamo that fell out and went in the front wheel spokes at 20 mph, it launched the rider into a prickly hedge.
He was very embarrassed fortunately he had leathers on.(Triumph speed twin) The same guy a few months later had the torque arm fall off the front brake which caused the front brake to jam on, and dump him in the road in a heap. I think he was called lucky Larry. Lucky he didn't kill himself, unlucky he didn't he have the sense to tighten bolts up.

When I was a nipper I thought rod brakes on push bikes naff. But now I like the look of them.

If the brake blocks are ffitted back to front the blocks fly out of the holders and the brakes fail. The solution is to stick you foot in the wheel.

It's a wonder us 1950s kids survived.

I rode a bike down a steep hill one night to see how bright the dynamo lights would go and rode into the back of a parked car and ended up in heap on the boot. My dad sorted it all out by arguing with the owner over the car being parked illegally without lights and thumping the guy in ear.

The 1950s was like that, push your luck, get bit mouthy and get thumped in the ear.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 315
Posted on Saturday, 11 October, 2014 - 05:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The term "juice brakes" dates form the pre-WWII days in the US when mechanical brakes were still common. Juice of course referring to the presence of liquid.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Saturday, 11 October, 2014 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ford advertised their rod brakes as the safety of steel from pedal to brake.

The marketing spin was to take advantage of the public's knowledge of hydraulics and to cover up how old fashioned Ford cars were.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, 12 October, 2014 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed. Hey; you gotta sell what you got, not the other guy's stuff.
I have to admit I admire the mechanical brakes on the prewar Rolls-Royce. Also the Autovac.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.78
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like autovacs and RR rod brakes. Autovacs were still in use as late as 1970 on corporation buses. The big square box on half cab buses on the scuttle over the engine. The autovac on a bus held over a gallon of fuel. So if the autovac gave trouble fill it manually to get home, cars usually only held a couple of pints which would get a RR a couple of miles. A company in Devon UK still make autovacs.

A lot of medium weight chassis used one rear cylinder working both rear brakes using wedge and roller expander. These were still in use until the 1980s. Never gave trouble. The handbrake would stop 8 tons GVW. Without a problem. The foot brake was usually a Clayton Dewandre air over oil system. Which I have often thought would work well on a RR car. Also some vehicles had a driver operated adjustment for how much air assistance was needed. I like the hiss of air when the brakes are released.

Mercedes Grosser 600 Pullman had air brakes.