Hoses Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Hoses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.93
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2014 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This posting is about selecting the right stuff for the job. Sometimes it's obvious sometimes not.

Chocolate teapots.

I have seen cars repaired with any old bit of stuff because the owner had some lying around or he got it from work usually with the notion that the stuff is better than the proper stuff.

Example of this was a guy I worked with who used braided plastic hose as heater hose. The hot water caused the clamp to cut through the hose which fell off. The hose was intended for soluble oil at 20c and 3ft of head pressure not 90c and 15psi. The braid was to protect from swarf.

Every hose on a car has a specification. Replacement stiff should been plainly marked as to it's use. However the replacement hose can be entirely different such as plastic vacuum hoses as opposed to rubber. But not any old plastic tube, plastic tube that is designed for vacuum. Using any old stuff on any car leads to problems even fixing a lawn mower I use proper fuel line because I want to cut grass not fix it again.

I have seen lots of spares shops selling plastic fuel hose that is not fuel hose.

Remember that a RR is meant to be the best car in the world.

(Message approved by david_gore)