Computers in cars. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Computers in cars. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.71
Posted on Thursday, 02 October, 2014 - 07:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On my lap top is the pdf SY workshop manual.
Last year I showed it to a mate's son who has a Scooby Do . He has fitted a drop down LCD screen which has the Scooby Do workshop manual and the engine management system can be adjusted using a wireless key pad and mouse.
The next stage is to connect the car to the internet, and give it a web site.

I am going to make a pocket in my boot to fit my laptop. I can get the laptop to fit alongside the log tank by the suspension turret. I have some soft black leather for the lining.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, 03 October, 2014 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Several years ago I fitted an old laptop into the back of my US spec Jeep Grand Cherokee with a remote TV/monitor screen on the dash. Although it was still useable as a computer it was purely there to act as a Satnav though the addition of the necessary hardware and software. Unfortunately a local junkie broke in and nicked the lot! It took months to get the rear door window replaced with the correct privacy glass.

Mark David Smith
New User
Username: detroitbrit

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2014 - 11:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

on a similar note, has anyone managed to put the complete SZ workshop manual on an ipad or similar tablet, if so how was it done ?

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2014 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can't you just download it from the forum as normal?

If not try to use a 'standard' computer and transfer the files to a USB thumb drive and read it off there once plugged into the tablet.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2014 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

That depends on whether you're talking about one of the Workshop Manuals for the cars prior to the 1990 model year or the IETIS/ASSIST system afterward.

The former are all composed of a collection of PDF files and these can be transferred without any difficulty. The latter has a program that runs only on Windows platforms as its central component, so Android and iOS aren't able to run it.

Brian

Jordan Devine
Experienced User
Username: jordan_devine

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2014 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FYI an iPad mini fits very well in a Turbo R dash. And I did add a book matched walnut screen with logo so it blends in.

More info about the install http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2013/06/driving-tunes-for-bentley.html

Mark David Smith
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2014 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just the PDF workshop manuals . If I access them via my iPad there is no pop up or pull down to save direct to my iBooks app .
So I think I will try downloading to an SD card and see if I can import that way

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2014 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

I presume you're going to need the Adobe Reader App for the platform you're going to be reading on (which I see is an iPad). The iOS version of the app can be found on the iTunes store here.

I don't think they'll work with iBooks since the files themselves didn't originate as native iBooks.

You should have no problem whatsoever once you've got them on an SD card that's popped into your iPad provided you have the Adobe Reader app.

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.91
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2014 - 10:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a phone that does all that stuff. Also my lap top is wireless but not connected (yet)

Isn't the wood by the Bentley wings nice, lovely pattern.

I have this 4 way junction box that plugs into the fag lighter.
The rear fag lighters on my car are disconnected for safety.

Also have a fag socket in the boot for charging or running other stuff.

I use a normal paper map to get me close and then go Sat nav.

That blue leather around the wood looks sumptuous.

The idea that a car has a LCD to show how the car works and show what may be wrong without using a diagnostic plug in device is going to be come the norm.

There are devices that when plugged into OBD sockets will give real-time data.

The Scooby owner is using a mega squirt ecu. Mega ecus are programmed using a Windows based software. He has left the lap top connected. The drop down LCD is running off the lap top. Clever because the upgrades to the system is easy. The system has all the Windows stuff on it including a camera.

Which could be used for reversing.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark David Smith
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 11 October, 2014 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So I discovered why I could not do this .........if you open a PDF page using Google the menu will not allow ... Open in . But if you open a PDF page in safari , you can then open in iBooks and it auto saves in iBooks ,,, I am such a happy bunny today