Au.rrforums.net - External Searchabil... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Au.rrforums.net - External Searchability? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 990
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In early 2013, I had asked about searching rrtechnical.info, and received the following very useful advice, repeated here for context:

RRTechnical.info can be directly searched using Google, which indexes any PDFs when it finds them. In a Google search include the following in any search string

site:rrtechnical.info/teeone

and it will restrict results to documents from that site/area. For instance, if I do a Google search for

site:rrtechnical.info/teeone jaguar tecalemit

I get just two results, from TO16 and TO81. The same method can be used to search within any sub-section of RR Technical or the site itself. For example, to search only in CrewedJottings or SY Bulletins or the entire site include:

site:rrtechnical.info/crewedjottings
site:rrtechnical.info/sy/bulletins
site:rrtechnical.info

The same technique will, of course, work for any web site searchable by Google.

Today I tried the same search method for au.rrforums.net, but it turns up nothing whether using the "site:" operator is applied at the top level for the forums or "lower down," e.g., au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum. This is true whether using Google or Duckduckgo as the search engine, both of which work on rrtechnical.info.

This raises the question, does the forums site do something to prevent crawling by search engines? I've used web search engines with the site: operator for other forums sites, and it works like a charm. There are times when the search syntax of an engine allows for far easier filtering than the built-in keyword search function does.

I'm just curious why it's not working here.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I suggest you message the Forum Administrator with this request.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 991
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll follow up with a private message duplicating the above. The initial recommendation came from the Forum Administrator.

Brian