Coachbuilder reccommendation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Coachbuilder reccommendation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
Frequent User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, 07 August, 2014 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need to have new cycle wings fabricated for my Mk6 special. I live on the Sunshine coast queens land.
Does anyone have any contact details for a company or individual that can do this type of work?
Many thanks
Mark

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cycle type wings are easy to make using an English wheel. Cut sheet oversize roll down the middle to raise it and it will naturally go car wheel shaped

Or use wood pear shaped mallet and sand bag and planish after.

Using aluminum 1/8 rod wire the edges by bending the edge over the wire.
Always start oversize because the ends of the sheet will bump in the wheel. Pick the best bit.

Use 16 swg or 1.5 mm or 64 thou" aluminum too thin and the stretching will make the metal thin on the crown.
Or
Check motorcycle stuff because New ready made aluminum cycle guards are available. I used to buy these in the 1960 for under £5 each.

Also American Chopper.( Paul senior and Paul junior)
Use steel versions.

What size wheels and width is the only spec so it should be cheap and easy to source.

A coachworks will charge at least £300 each. I am thinking £30 each for ready made.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish my cycle had wings.

Didn't realise you could put wings on a bike.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, 08 August, 2014 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can, but you have to pedal like buggery to get them to flap fast enough for takeoff!

Ps. Someone has actually made, and flown, a 'man' powered ornithopter. However only a serious athlete can get it to fly.