Brakes and the regulations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Brakes and the regulations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Single line systems

The single line is main brakes and the handbrake is secondary

The secondary must have at least 25%

Dual line

Both are main and secondary

The handbrake must make 16 %

RR sy 1 master cylinder is not counted as a nominated system for regulations however it must work because the rear brakes would be below par and pedal travel would be excessive leaving below minimum reserve travel

The handbrake properly set up will make 16%

When I used to test cars the above comes into play when in deciding what figures the car has to make on the meters

Some cars even new had handbrakes that barely made it. These cars we would let through after a close look 12% was just about the limit

On cars with no such problems must do the 16 or 25%

Some cars would just pass when others of the same model would easily pass thus indicating that although the brakes have passed there is something wrong and the car fails

The test is about minimum standards

A tenet of testing is that the owner is entitled by statute to use all parts to the maximum life

An my job was to decide if those limits have been reached

When I have my car tested the only bit that I cannot check is the brake effort and rear across the axle brake balance

However pads out and a good clean up etc usually does the trick and the tester notices that someone cares

(Message approved by david_gore)

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2014 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rules in oz a bit different i think. For a dual system, we dont test the handbrake. Ie, dual master cylinder, 2 pipes coming out of it. My mg magnette only has a single acting master cylinder, so i need to do a handbrake test as well. Ie, from a safety point of view, if the master cylinder fails, you can still stop on he handbrake.

On the bentley, i consider it to have a dual system, hydraulic on the front, mechanical on the rear, so i dont do a handbrake test. If the hydraulics fail, the rear brakes still pull you up.

Brake test meter doesnt differentiate between left and right wheels, how does it work in the UK? Across the axle balance?

Cheers

Martin

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Monday, 14 July, 2014 - 05:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Each wheels brakes are tested on a rolling road

The front brakes I can test for balance on a road test for balance

But not rear balance

Balance means the meters must come up to together

The brakes are applied and held at say 150 both sides must read the same within tolerance

The handbrake must make 16%

Shadows send the meters full scale then lock

I am surprised that some territories don't do handbrakes

(Message approved by david_gore)