RR Derby Works Nightingale Road Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RR Derby Works Nightingale Road « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2014 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was "touring" in Derby (via GoogleEarth) and found the old Works on Nightingale Road. Seems that between 2008 and 2012 almost all the buildings with the exception of the front offices, have been razed. I understand there is an attempt to convert the old office building to some other use: perhaps housing or some sort of community use.
After Car production moved to Crewe, post WWII, what were the Old Works used for? I presume aircraft engines, or else maybe parts or subassemblies.
Anyway, just one of the many Google Earth travels which can be of interest to Rolls-Royce hobbyists.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2014 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Derby was used for aeroplane stuff when RR split into RR cars and RR holding co for the aerospace and marine RR cars being a totality separate company

After this RR cars made its first profit on the sale of cars

The money is in aerospace not cars

Derby made the Derby Bentleys before the cars were called rolls Bentleys

These cars had no RR equivalents

Silent sports car

Some of the Derby Bentleys are seriously good looking cars with prices to match

Ferrari eat your heart out

(Message approved by david_gore)