NY Times auto-ego article. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » NY Times auto-ego article. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 16 March, 2013 - 08:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All:
I had my 75 Shadow in the local car show in my town, Bloomfield, NJ back in 2010 and a NY Times writer was friends with the organizer of the show and asked her to contact me. He did and asked if I wouldn't mind speaking with him about my car. I said sure, and after hearing my story, he thought it might make an interesting story. One thing led to another, and it turned out being featured in the Sunday NY Times on March 2nd. Here's a link to the article. It was a lot of fun and I never expected it to be as big a deal as it turned out. Sorry to say, I wouldn't have been so forthcoming with my life story had I had known it was going to be on the cover of the auto section. Somewhat embarrassing but a once in a lifetime experience. And lots of fun.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/03/03/automobiles/collectibles/03ego-slides.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, 16 March, 2013 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, a couple of mistakes....This is the article - The other link was a pictures slide show. And it was in the Sunday NY Times on March 3rd not 2nd....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/automobiles/collectibles/looking-like-a-high-roller.html

Regards,

Chris Buckenham
Experienced User
Username: chris_buckenham

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2013 - 05:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Very good , I enjoyed that . Was a bit surprised to read that you suffered from the Heart condition at such an age , but you are still here and that is all that really matters . I really like the idea that you use it as a marketing tool , assumptions can carry a lot of weight . In fact a proper estate agents technique .

Well done

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2013 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris: I appreciate the comments. My infatuation with the RR brand superseded the idea to use it as a sales tool but It was a great way to justify the purchase to my wife. I was actually prepared to pay at least double for the car than I ended up paying. I was searching on the Internet for the car for two years but when I came upon this 75 shadow, I acted immediately. I honestly was previous searching for a silver spur but now I'm glad I got the shadow. I thinks it's a classier looking car.

Robert Howlett
Frequent User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2013 - 20:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David ..just read this great artical .like Chris I;m supprized you suffered from a heart condition.I do hope your on the mend..The Royce looks great..

cheers
rob

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2013 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great article; thanks for sharing. That photo of you with your car is nice.

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2013 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the well wishes in regards to the heart troubles. Although it was a real wake up call, I was not a typical heart attack victim, as it really came out of nowhere. I was actually in very good health prior and had rarely been sick at all. In current times, the health industry is truly outstanding and although it was a major event with significant damage, I feel great. It might have been a blessing in disguise as it lent to the opportunity to read a book that changed my life, enabling me to achieve my dreams. I'm sure that if I hadn't had a life changing event, I wouldn't be as happy today. Cheers.

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User
Username: bergxu

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2013 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Great article. Always love to see [Rolls-Royce cars] being used for their intended purpose! And indeed, it's the ones that are a bit 'patinated around the edges' that make me the happiest to see, as they're serving their owners faithfully every day.

Very interesting about your heart attack. I find myself in a similar situation to you before your "big event" happened. I work in a high-stress job and I do smoke--although not cigarettes but a pipe and just in the evenings. Nevertheless....

But I'm 32 and it's funny because I've been thinking more and more lately that I probably need to give up one or the other--the job or the pipe, as I can feel the stress of the workday wearing on me sometimes and wonder if that's going to lead to some horrific event like what you experienced. And yes, I'm an otherwise healthy person who is rarely if ever sick and am usually full of energy.

Glad you posted that article. Got me to do some more thinking and I might just have to pick up that book which you referenced!

Administrator's Note: I ask little of the members of this forum and intrude very rarely but the ONE thing I will not abide is the use of the term I have edited above to instead read [Rolls-Royce cars]. I consider the elided term highly offensive and insist that it not be used.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 00:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aaron,

I say to you, without reservation: ditch that job!!

I've been in those shoes several times and in each situation quitting the job in question was the best thing I ever did.

As someone once said to me, when I was in a very bad job (and, thus, life) situation and was terrified about the idea of quitting: "There are always alternatives."

The last cycle like this in my life occurred in 2008, when I quit my last job to pursue self-employment just as the bottom was falling out of the U.S. economy. Even with that mess, and the financial discipline I've had to employ in even greater measure since then, I have never for a second regretted that decision.

I haven't yet met anyone who's gone through this, and who's left the "hell job," who later says they really wish they hadn't.

Brian

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I'm with you, although it's easier said than done, as the paycheck IS rather nice and keeps my car collection well stacked. That being said, what good is a car collection if one is not around to enjoy it?? No doubt my wife would probably rather I sell them all anyhow!

I have a few options waiting in the wings, and I do intend to find myself doing something different, likely by summer, although in the interim, I've taken a different approach to the stresses at work and have adopted more of a nonchalant attitude figuring that if things come to complete misery or what have you, I'll walk away the day it happens and let my blood pressure return to its [formerly] always normal levels...

I, unfortunately, deal with the public on a day-to-day basis, and yep, would give my left arm to be back in a quiet, more private (read: my own workshop) environment!

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 01:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seems we are either in a high-stress job and die, or figure out how to deal with stress or quit the job. I had a friend, about 15 years older, who confided to me before he died too young, that he ruined his health in a high-stress job, because he felt the need to achieve and could never satisfy it. He grew up son of a high school teacher in a small town, and some of his playmates' families were better off than his, and the scooters and other things they had and that he could not have weighed on him and burdened his life. I thought it was at the same time an awful burden he carried through his life, and a strength that he had learned this about himself and was able to frankly share it.There was a lesson in his story for me and for all who will take time to consider. I seem to just tune it out and let it go, so the stressful parts don't stay with me. I tend to avoid conflict and am an introvert, so I stick with the engineering and technical issues and stay out of the politics as much as I can, and stay away from the corporate ladder. Some consider the "climb" an invigorating challenge and want it; I don't. Some want the benefits they see, but don't fully understand what they are getting into, and realize too late the price they are paying. Knowing it was not for me early-on in my work life made all the difference.

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny how the posting emerged into a life lesson on high stress jobs verses happiness. So true that the gift of life is truly short...I received this article this morning that is so applicable that it is scary:
http://www.earlytorise.com/the-money-vs-happiness-debate/

If this motivates anyone to reach a happier and in result, a longer life, I would feel blessed.

Regards,

David

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2013 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great article David. This thread, God-willing, has definitely given me some things to think about