Weather and Rolls-Royce/Bentley cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Weather and Rolls-Royce/Bentley cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 276
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aaron,

Are you in the "snow belt" from today's storm?

I'll post a few photos later, but this is SRH33576's first time sitting outside in the driveway and getting covered in over a foot of snow.

Brian, "Snow R' Us" in the Shenandoah Valley and environs

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User
Username: bergxu

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yeah, we got hit with about 5-6" last night but, unbelievably, Cincinnati actually had their road crews out in preparation and therefore the roads aren't bad at all. Of course, we're absolutely a grave yard at work today as even the most hearty of Range Rover-owning housewife won't venture out in the "white death" ;)

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 12:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, here in the Shenandoah Valley we got clobbered with snow. We got between 17 and 18 inches locally.

On top of that our power went out around 11:30 AM, shortly after my prior post, and just came back on again at 8:30 PM.

Here are some shots from this morning:

Link to a panorama of my home and the one next door.

Flying Lady in her Snow Grotto

The Rest of the Story

Jag with Snow Slide

Things have since begun to melt and become very wet and heavy. By Saturday, when we reach the mid-50s (F) it'll be almost entirely gone.

Brian

John McGhee
Experienced User
Username: jam

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 15:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good grief Brian!! I have lived in Australia since 1980 and haven't seen snow like that since the ice storms in NYC back in the 70s. We had to go dig my Dad's car out of the commuter car park at Huntington Station. A lot of fun for an 11 year old, possibly slightly less so for my poor Dad...

I'm just off to jump in the pool now which is sitting at a lovely 28 degrees celsius!

Regards

John

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2013 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow! We got nothing like that! Seems that once these storm systems pass over Ohio, they gear up to belt the coastline. You guys got it as bad as the midwest did!

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guess this is something our Australian friends never get to experience.

A month ago I had the opportunity to move to Columbus, Ohio. This is the reason I decided to stay in Vegas.

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oops, no offence Aaron. Beautiful as Ohio is, having lived in FL, CA and NV I have gotten used to the warmer weather.

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

That's one of those "different strokes..." things. I used to have to travel to LV for work and always longed to be back in good old boring Cincinnati--even in the winter

A.R. Greenberg
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Totally understand. I am partial to CA and FL myself--FL more so, and particularly Miami--but that's just because we Jews have taken over that joint

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aaron

I have a house in Tampa, currently rented out waiting for the housing market to recover. I liked Miami - drove down there a few times.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"I guess this is something our Australian friends never get to experience.

A month ago I had the opportunity to move to Columbus, Ohio. This is the reason I decided to stay in Vegas." - Geoff Wootton

As we Australians are dedicated travellers and often make long-distance forays around the world; I respectfully suggest more Australians have experienced this type of weather than Americans who have experienced one of our long hot summers .

The week before Xmas 1974, I experienced a similar snow fall in the Canadian Rockies followed several days later by a full bore arctic blizzard between Calgary and Winnipeg [-45deg F including wind-chill adjustment]. What did frighten me was the reluctance of drivers to drive to the conditions [i.e. travel at a speed which allows you to stop within the distance you can see in front of you]. The roadside was littered with cars that had skidded off the road into snow drifts and cars that had rear-ended another car because they couldn't stop in time.

The long-haul truck drivers had the right idea, they were sitting in a warm dry diner waiting for the blizzard to pass - we decided to do the same...

If you would like an example of the dedication of Australian R-R/B owners, read my story below on "Fixing Rolls-Royces in a firestorm" at Bill Coburn's home during the 2003 Canberra bushfire; the pictures on the link speak louder than words:

"You all have probably heard about the fires which ravaged our National Capital - Canberra on Saturday 18th January which coincided with the scheduled Self-Help Day at Bill Coburn's residence at Kambah which ultimately became the second worst affected area after the suburb of Duffy. A group of NSW owners including myself travelled to Canberra for this day not knowing what was in store for us!

The area behind Kambah contained extensive pine plantations and bush reserves and the approaching fires threw up an extremely dense smoke cloud which completely obscured the summer sun [which is no mean achievement given its intensity at this time of the year] giving the effect of a permanent total eclipse of the sun for several hours. The attached photos are representative of those that I took - I apologise for the spotting on the lens caused by wind-blown ash from the fires and I trust you find them interesting. The fire reached the rear of Bill Coburn's property around 5PM however conditions allowed he and his neighbours to control the advancing flames to prevent damage to their property unlike the 400 plus homes destroyed by this fire. We were able to leave for Sydney shortly before the Police closed the access roads to the area. Fortunately, none of the ACT members suffered any personal loss from this fire although the paintwork on George Shore's Shadow was extensively damaged by red-hot embers on his way home."

Bill's comments on this forum and my response is on the following link:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/338.html

The photos are included in the following link, just scroll down until they come into view:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/7151.html

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 12:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow! great pics, Brian.
Brother just called from VA; he made it to work, but not everyone did (Stafford VA). I'm going up for a visit in about 3 weeks or so; I hope this is gone by then!

Brian Vogel
Prolific User

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2013 - 14:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

I think you can rest easy that you'll be getting here as spring is, well, springing.

The majority of yesterday's snow is already melted. I think it will all be gone before the weekend is over.

David,

I guess you Aussies have inherited a collective set of stiff upper lips from the British. Had I been present at the session those pictures show I believe my personal "water" stream from the fear might have extinguished the flames!!

Brian