Ascertaining Car Ownership History fo... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Ascertaining Car Ownership History for '75 Shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 17 January, 2013 - 12:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All. I was hoping someone might be able to assist as I had purchased my 75 Shadow from a dealer in NYC US a few years ago, VIN # SRD22135. I am in need of determining previous owners for the vehicle and ordinarily it would be easy via CARFAX or Kelley Blue Book but because the identification number is only 8 digits and not 17, I cannot utilize these services. Does anyone know of a site or resource which provides ownership data for pre-1980 Rolls Royce cars?

Regards and Thank you.

David Michael Leedy
Experienced User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2015 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All...I am trying to start a new topic but couldn't do it on this tablet so I am adding to this previous post....I am having issues with my 75 silver shadow...it's been very very cold here on the east coast usa and I have been starting the car...takes a while, then I warm it up for a while. I put it into reverse to exit my garage, and it revs and after a few seconds goes into gear...same happens when I switch to drive. I added some transmission fluid but not sure if it is low or something else...I never had this issue of transmission slipping and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and how to fix it....Sad to report that my friend and long time mechanic passed away due to Cancer, this past Sunday...He was the main reason I bought the rolls in the first place as he knew how to work on them and kept mine running well...Without him, I'm pretty lost....

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2015 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My suspicion is the car needs a change of automatic transmission fluid, new filter and replacement of the pick-up tube O-ring. The transmission is a near-standard GM Turbo 400 Transmission and any auto transmission shop would be able to do this for you. The cold weather would not be helping as the fluid would be very viscous and take a long time to warm up - if the pick-up tube O-ring is cracked or missing, the circulation of the transmission oil would be impeded increasing the time required for the oil to be warmed by the heat exchanger in the radiator core. This would also explain the time required for the transmission to take up when Drive/Reverse is selected.

I will leave this post in its current location for a short time to draw attention to the post above in the hope one of our US contributors may be able to help and then transfer this topic to a more appropriate location.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Thursday, 15 January, 2015 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

S means standard 4 door

R for Rolls-Royce.

D for North America model year 1975.

22153 is maybe a Shadow I with shadow 2 brakes.

Contact Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club in the UK. They should be able to supply copies of the build sheet and where the car went to when it was new.

Sort of starting at the beginning and working forward.

I think there's a fee for the copies. These documents add value to any old car. Not any car but any olde car.

Have fun.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Thursday, 15 January, 2015 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The advice Dave has given is bang on the money. I have seen this with many different autoboxes. When the level is low the gears drop out at low revs.
What happens is that the gears are selected by hydraulic pressure. When the level is low the fluid gets air sucked up with it which can't develop enough pressure to select a gear until the revs go up.

However you will need to get the car to the transmission shop.

Start the engine and run for 5 mins in park. Then with engine running select all the gears which in your case won't. But still do it. Then turn engine off and quickly dip the gearbox.

If it's below the COLD mark top up with DEXRON automatic transmission fluid. I suspect a litre will be enough to get it working. Don't overfill. The level is not critical and 1/8" either way is OK.

Once auto box is working select all the gears stationary and dip again with engine off quickly.

The fluid change will make the car even smoother. Fluid is a fancy name for oil. ATF dexron is a special oil.

The normal procedure is to drive for 15mins then select all the gears then check level in park with engine running. BUT this is dangerous because the gear lever is so light that people have had cars take off driver less. This is why the level has to be dipped quickly. With engine off the fluid is draining out of the hydraulic system into the gearbox sump pan thus giving a higher level on the dip stick.

So because this is new to you turn the engine off.
Ask who ever does your gearbox to show you how to check. But also tell him about the light gear lever action.

I am sorry about your friend.

(Message approved by david_gore)