Off to the mountains Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Off to the mountains « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks - just off to the mountains to find a quiet place to tweak my SU's. Not so pervy as it sounds once you realise that the next time my local housing association see me servicing my car with the garage gate open I get a $100 fine. I'm curious as to how other US owners get round this problem.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

My commiserations on having lousy neighbors [jealous might also be an apt description] - I suggest one good turn deserves another; a thorough reading of your community rules/by-laws and some observations of those who see their role as being the community police should provide instances of their breaches of the rules which can be brought to community attention at an appropriate time.

My experience with people of this persuasion is that they believe one law applies for them when needed and another more punitive law applies to everyone else in the same situation. You may have to apply some lateral thinking to get around this problem even something as simple as an opaque louvre/louver screen just inside your garage door which will allow light and air into your garage but shut out prying eyes; a radio or media player providing background noise to mask the sound of an accidentally dropped spanner might also be prudent .

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 14:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that David. In fact you have read the situation correctly; the most noise I make is literally that of a dropped spanner. I do not own or use a compressor, welder, impact wrench or any other such noisy or invasive tools. It's just that I am now on the housing association's radar so the patrol car pays me special attention. I guess I just wanted to vent, as the Americans say. I like your suggestion of an opaque screen; if we are still here next summer I may put one up; will help with the 40C heat.

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 14:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I ask this in all seriousness, but do your association rules actually forbid working on a car *inside* your own garage if the garage door is up?

If so, and you're not "the despised" as far as your homeowners' association is concerned, you might want to ingratiate yourself with one or more of the sitting officers and start a conversation about this. These rules can be changed.

Brian, who was on his homeowners' association board in the 1990s and who had to go before the "Parent Association" during his tenure to get our palette of paint colors changed from their original 1970s shades to something more appealing then/now [so I know that these things *can* be accomplished.]

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 17:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Yes, the ruling specifically forbids servicing of a car within a garage with the garage door up. The history of this is that I worked on the Rolls, on and off, for several weeks, blissfully unaware of the rule until a truck pulled up one day and took a photo of me working on the car. I received the letter a few days later and abided by the ruling. However, one Saturday lunchtime, I had just fitted a new rear exhaust system and raised the door to walk round the back of the car to take it off the stands. In the process of doing so the truck pulled up again and click - photo number 2. I couldn't believe my bad luck. He must have been passing as I raised the door. Letter number 2 informed me of the $100 fine for the next infringement. I guess it's not really a big problem; it was my fault for raising the door with the car still on the stands. In fact the only problem I have had is tuning the carburetors as obviously the doors need to be open if the engine is running. Hence the drive earlier today to Red Rock Canyon, north of Vegas to tweak the carbs. I shall note what you have said about talking to the sitting officers, however now that winter is here keeping the garage doors closed is not a problem - so long as I remember not to open them if the car is jacked up or the hood open. Thanks to you and David for your responses - I guess I was just having a moan. BTW. Do you have such problems with your association, or do the rules allow the garage door to be open.

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.25.208.79
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff

Is it not possible to rig up an exhaust extraction pipe to use when you run the car inside the garage?.Or is noise also an issue with the garage door down? If so, tell them the wife's dishwasher is under full load test.

At the end of February 2013 I have to call in at Vegas to look at a friends Bentley. He had a similar issue when he rebuilt the car with me and rigged up exhaust extraction. We just road test in Red Rock Canyon!

Seems people in Vegas need some adjustment to the rules!

(Message approved by david_gore)

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, 01 December, 2012 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm really not too keen on the idea of an exhaust extraction facility as: 1. the direct connection of an extension pipe to the exhaust will alter the exhaust flow properties and 2. a fan assisted exhaust extraction facility in the form of a surrounding funnel (i.e. not directly connected to the exhaust but positioned close to) will likewise alter the exhaust flow properties.

I found myself in a similar position some years ago - my solution was to install a slow running and very quiet large bladed 2.5 ft diameter fan at the back end of the garage to bring in lots of fresh air and put several vents in the garage door. I ran the car up to temperature with the garage door open till the initial smoke-heavy exhaust fumes dispersed then turned on the fan and closed the garage door. It worked for me - there was no build up of carbon monoxide in the garage, there was no effect on the exhaust properties, and no one was any the wiser.

You think you've got problems !! you should try living in a 1780 build Grade2*Listed house in the UK - you almost need prior consent from English Heritage as to what tissue you use to blow your nose!!

Peter

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2012 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your comments - have just picked up this thread again. I did in fact experiment with a length of 3" diameter aluminium tubing, the type used to vent gas water heaters, but was concerned that I may be leaking a small amount of exhaust fumes from my silencer box so decided against the idea. I have recently replaced the rear exhaust system on my car and the increased back pressure has uncovered a slight leak on the front silencer box - soon to be replaced. I take on board Peter's comments about altering the exhaust flow properties. I now have the car running reasonably well but will of course be re-tuning it once I have fitted a new silencer box.
Norman, interesting that you know Red Rock Canyon. You will know what a great drive it is. Regards the 1780 house in the UK - that's something extra. Just think, when your house was built the capital of America was London. (give or take a few years)

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2012 - 05:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter

You should have no problems with exhaust back pressure if the extraction system is sensibly designed. The normal industrial standards use extraction piping of around 150 / 200mm diameter and a maximum of 12 / 15 metre long. In respect of shorter lengths the pipe diameter can be less. (Measurements taken from memory and possibly affected by too many birthdays).These sizes will handle large turbocharged diesels, much more demanding, let alone gasoline car engines. If I remember from my installations it was standard to go to about 6 / 8 metre long before fitting a fan in circuit. I have never in over 50 years known an extraction system cause an tuning problems due to excessive back pressures, and I have had at least 65 systems operating at any one time

In static tuning situations it is much more likely that your tuning efforts will be obstructed by lack of under bonnet (hood) air pressure, which affects the desired synchronised intake and exhaust pipe pressure wave, and not back pressure.

Our EPW six cylinder cars most certainly do, very often, suffer from back pressures caused by internally collapsed exhaust systems. However the addition of correct extraction to a well maintained system is very unlikely to add to the maximum 7 psi back pressure at 4000 rpm on a typical EPW six cylinder. This has the effect of robbing the exhaust valve spring poundage of some 11 lbs, but you should get nowhere near that situation in static tuning unless you are using a rolling road at home.

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2012 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Norman, Could you explain what you mean by a lack of under bonnet air pressure. Are you refering to the lack of a standing wave caused by collapsed exhaust internals or is there something I am missing.

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 05 December, 2012 - 21:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff

In my reply I stated "in static tuning situations", meaning that the vehicle had no forward movement. On the open road, at speed the under bonnet air pressure is different than the static situation.

I was refering to the fact that this pressure difference would be more likely to affect any tuning than back pressure from an exhaust extraction system, slight as it may be.

Do not forget the exhaust is forcably ejected, the inlet on the other hand, in the main, is drawn in by depression.

As an aside, in respect of the EPW 6 cylinder cars most owners do not realise the implications of the intake on this engine design. R-R went to incredible lengths to prevent an exhaust wave developing and retain high torque down to 1100 rpm, nicely destroyed in some instances when he who knows better, changes the air filter.Even the intake manifold is fairly accurately sized for volume at 1300cc and the inlet cams are on lift , with one exception, longer than any six cylinder Jaguar, Aston or USA 6 cylinder.

Sorry to have rolled off the subject matter!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Thursday, 06 December, 2012 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Norman, no need to apologise - any advice and/or comments based on your experience and knowledge is greatly appreciated by our members.