Getting owners into the Club and keep... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Getting owners into the Club and keeping cars alive. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2004 - 00:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From a fairly special position I have been amused to see how the various Branches of this Club admit new members. The two extremes I have found are one which says, 'Have we got his/her money - OK he's in!' The other, 'We need to know who he is before we will admit him' I know of two members with long association with Rolls-Royce who waited 5 months for admission!

But in the last 6 weeks I have 'found' no less than four owners who are not members all over the country restoring cars. What fascinates me is that current members haven't spotted these people, grabbed them by their toggle bolts and dragged them screaming into the midst of us all. These four mind you may be axe murders on parole, archbishops, public servants or unemployed. I personally care not since they own cars.

Which brings me to the dirty part. Three of the four have done the unimaginable and bought cars from various sources without taking advice from knowalls like myself or a dozen others and now have thousands of dollars worth of junk. Hopefully we can encourage them to dissipate any assets they may have accrued and get these machines back to the land of the living. Interestingly all have commented on the value of these sites. Hopefully that opinion will continue.

James R Aitken
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.221.176.66
Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2004 - 08:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a soon-to-be (hopefully) owner of a Silver Shadow that needs several years worth of restoration work (mainly because I can only afford to drip-feed its finances). I must say that I would not even consider attempting such a project without people like Bill and without this forum as a source of information.

It facinates me that the email address given for the Queensland branch of the RROC is incorrect and that my forum user account has, for reasons unknown, been locked out yet the club seems to complain that it lacks members.

I suggest that we need more "Bills" in this world (and not the financial type) who are keenly aware that the common thread here is not our social status or lack thereof, but our ownership of certain machinery.

Now, I'll pack my soap-box away and get my tool-box out. By the way, I have every intention of joining RROC and attempting to share what knowledge I gain while rebuilding (assuming I get it) my Shadow.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2004 - 10:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

I am not aware of ANYONE being locked out of this forum however some have come close!!!

Please resubmit a registration and I am certain the Administrator will set this up as soon as he can - due to work commitments our Administrator is not always able to respond immediately to these so please do not be alarmed if it takes a day or two to set up your access.

James R Aitken
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2004 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I would love to re-register, but it tells me that an account alrerady exists with my email address and rejects the application.

This line of conversation does not fit Bill's original post, so perhaps we can continue via email? You should find the address if you click on my name.

RROCA Web Site Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2004 - 15:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David is entirely correct - no user login has ever been removed or even disabled on this forum. We have been sorely tempted once or twice, though.

James' account was approved but he has failed to "activate" it according to the instructions he received with the approval e-mail. This is why it doesn't work. I suggest that James go back to that e-mail and read and follow the instructions enclosed to activate his account.

Regarding state branch e-mails: the 'rroc.org.au' addresses for the branches are automatically forwarded to the current branch secretary's real address(es). These are invariably hosted at another ISP and we thus have absolutely no control over them. If the addresses we have been given don't work I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about it.

James R Aitken
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.139.127.112
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 07:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've done the activation key thingy, and get the following message...

"ACTIVATION KEY ERROR
Your account is currently suspended. You are not permitted to activate your account. Please contact a board moderator for further information."

James R Aitken
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.139.127.112
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Me again!

If it is quicker and easier, I am happy for my account to be deleted and I can register again from scratch rather than trying to fix a difficult problem. Username is James_a

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James

I think it must just be you. I am sure despite the administration's denials that they are on the lookout for subversive or mentally unstable aspirants. And may I suggest that to chase these dubious chassis the way you are brings on grave doubts about you personally. They woke up to me long ago and I am more carefully monitored than George W's heartbeat. But so far my troubles have been kept at bay by liberal intravenous solutions of Glen Livett and massaging my automotive problems with my wallet. I don't know whether you have tried them but the Northern lowland site is less predictable than the weather and the public site of our North American colleagues is about as responsive as a Legalimit in the Alps. So all in all we are pretty well off - just hang in there. It is after breakfast - back to the Glen Livett!!! Cheers

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be happy.

This is the only R-R/B site worldwide which still allows non-members full access. You only have a syntax problem with registration in your case, not a policy one. Mind you, with a few explicits here I would be banished for life, but I don't mind that policy as some level of behaviour is surely fitting.

The BDC has, in the last weeks, relegated non-members to an area with around 1 posting a month. Even in the members' area they, apparently happily, struggle to find an entry or so each week. The R-R club sites in the UK and USA have always excluded non-members from all but the sideline information and forums, and insist on vetting contributions to non-member areas for a week or so before permitting a message to be posted. However, they have the sheer membership numbers to get away with it to some extent.

Being a member of enough car clubs already (3xR-R/B for a start, including this one) I think that's enough. The RROC (Australia) only benefits from its open policy.

Look at:

http://www.bdcl.org/forum

for a bit of St James' Gentlemens' Club one-upmanship. Don't forget to scroll down to the peasants' section.

James R Aitken
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.139.125.206
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think I've been mis-understood! I am not upset or angry... just pointing out a potential problem area. I agree with Bill's comments - considering I am very close to buying a rusty old pile of metal and sacrificing the next few years of my life to make it shine, I am beginning to doubt my sanity.

C'est la vi! (excuse spelling)

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2004 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have sadly been unable to figure out what happened to your activation, James. So yes, the only option is to delete your login so you can reapply.

I've deleted 'james_a' and will keep as close an eye on the forum as I can manage in order to swiftly approve your application when it arrives. Let's hope the key works for you this time. If it doesn't I'm sure you'll drop me a direct e-mail so we can sort it out together.

And while we're on the general subject of forum access, you may notice that the Members Only areas of this forum are nowhere near as busy as the public areas. Restricting access against such an obvious trend - as other sites have apparently found it necessary to do - would almost certainly be fatal for the forum and I, for one, refuse to capitulate; so this site will remain steadfastly public while I have anything to do with it.

Remaining public (and largely unmoderated), however, unfortunately requires a strong and timely response to the occasional incident of abuse, which can arrive in various guises. "The price of freedom ..." etc. I am therefore as uncompromising and unapologetic (and occasionally as unreasonable) in my defence of this forum as is a mother protecting her young.

I am nonetheless continually heartened by and grateful for the positive feedback I see from the users of this forum. Thanks for visiting and being a part of this remarkable community!

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2004 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

Is the address you give really your Bigpond address?

If it is, I have to say call it wishful thinking on your part (and wonder how you managed to get it). E-mail me for an explanation if you're interested.

If not, please use your real address in your forum application. It won't be visible outside the forum and is in any case as safe on our server as it can be anywhere else.

James R Aitken
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 20 July, 2004 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Clever address, huh? Yes, it is real - try it!

I am greatly appreciative of this forum and without it would not consider a restoration job.

Thanks and I'll re-apply in the next few days.