Poor old Silver Shadow 11 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Poor old Silver Shadow 11 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, 10 October, 2012 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone seen this clip, watch from 25.40 minutes where the Shadow is introduced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-A7PloD4s&feature=related

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, 10 October, 2012 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No, and I wish I had not.

This wasn't a car that looked like it should have been headed for the auto graveyard but they certainly made sure it got on the fast track to get there!!

I guess, though, that they've become so inexpensive that they are disposable. If you want a car that has the cachet Rolls-Royce has for a demolition derby the Shadow series has definitely fallen into that price range (and that's even the excellent examples when we're talking commercial TV budgets).

It's sad to see something that likely would have lasted several additional lifetimes destroyed like that.

Brian

Robert Howlett
Frequent User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OMG....l just watched the clip,Unbelievable show of wanton vandalism.The people/actors whatever in this show are just mentaly sick.very disturbing to watch.

Rh

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 18:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Surely the participants are not licensed drivers - if they are, how did they pass the driving test? Why in the world would an ordained minister of religion go public in this situation?

I suspect this is beat-up sensationalisation to cater to a bogan audience.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 403
Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm sorry to say, but I've seen driving as bad on the motorways of Blighty!

A truck weaving across 2 lanes because the driver was texting on his mobile phone.

A car cutting in front of me so close that I had to brake otherwise I would have lost my front wing.

Cars passing me then slowing down so I'm forced to overtake them or lose a lot of speed.

Cars and trucks cutting in front to leave the motorway in the last few metres of an exit ramp.

Cars - and especially motorbikes - passing on the inside when I'm indicating that I need to leave the motorway in a few hundred metres.

All types of vehicles trying to 'push' me into exceeding the speed limit within road works where the speed limit is reduced to 50mph (80kph) for the safety of the men leaning on their shovels and drinking tea.

On one occasion I witnessed a woman having an arguement with someone via her mobile phone while attempting to manouvre out of a tight parking space. How she managed to not hit anything was amazing to behold as her car rocked wildly due to her alternately stabbing at the brakes and loud pedal. Then she looked directly at me and screamed "What the **** do you think you're looking at?" and screeched off in a cloud of burning rubber.

FACT: In India/Pakistan every new car put on the road will be involved in a fatal accident within the first four years.

FACT: On the continent the law on pedestrian crossings is the same as in Blighty (cars MUST give way to pedestrians already on the crossing), but pedestrians take their lives in their hands if they walk out in front of an aproaching vehicle.

FACT: In the US the law states that when a school bus stops and activates its 'STOP' signs all traffic must stop on both sides of a single carriageway road, but few drivers do if they're on the other side of the road.

It's way past time that everyone be given serious instruction from professional instructors while still at school so that that they have a good grounding in good driving long before they consider whether they want to learn to drive and own a car/motorbike. My father started to lay down the basics for me when I was 13 as I was already helping him to service his cars. Yes; I've had the odd shunt that was my fault, but mostly they've been down to me forgetting to take into account the idiocy of the ... average ... driver's abilities which are all too often well below average!

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, 14 October, 2012 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Being an ex proffessional driver,truck,buses,and taxis,I learnt very early to drive on the defensive always give way whether in the right or not,drive for the other person, anticipate and above show courtesy.I've been driving for 55 years a couple of speeding fines and 2 dingles is on my record,better look out eh!next time I take Boris the Bentley out.

DAVID MICHAEL LEEDY
New User
Username: dleedy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 14 October, 2012 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a shame when such a glorious auto like the Silver Shadow is abused like this. Attached is another Shadow that can cause controversy.
application/x-zip-compressed
quickest-rolls-royce (2).zip (124.8 k)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 404
Posted on Sunday, 14 October, 2012 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any idea which engine is cowering under that ruddy great supercharger?

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2012 - 00:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This particular "quickest" Rolls-Royce was presented at SEMA in 2008. If you use the search engine of your choice on [Rolls-Royce "Silver Shadow" SEMA] you'll get more information and pictures than you might think possible.

However, here are the stats:

Quickest Rolls-Royce Build Stats

Brian

John Shostrom
Prolific User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, 15 October, 2012 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm usually not at a loss for words, but in this case I am. All that I can say is that I think David Gore summed it up best.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2012 - 15:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

neither am I John but I did see this a fair while ago on international TV in Spain of all places....I was mesmorised, transfixed and above all, scared that people this stupid are on our roads....I dont think i will be so careless and assume all people have a general proficiency....now I think David Gore does have a point and they used an old SS II for a bit of sensationalism to appeal to morons wanting to see other morons smash up a roller....look it was quite disturbing to see such mindless and wanton vandalism of a nice "old girl" but it was cosmetic and you dont know if the car was a terminal junker anyway... of more worry was the level of intelligence and ability the fools that were driving the rolls, or lack of it, possessed....now that was scary!

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2012 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to confess to virtually ignoring this litany of indignation over the treatment of the Rolls but finally succumbed to watching the listed video. I gave up after the parade of 'stars'. I would think all of them are paid actors and Government money bought the range of cars to make the video more interesting.

The sad thing (in my opinion) is that the thing was produced I suspect in good faith to get the message about bad driving to those out there on the road. But then, presenting seriously is just too much for the average bogon brain (not sure what term the Canadians use and whether they have translated the title into French for the Quebecois (excuse accents please it's too much to achieve on a new iMac)! So in line with a policy iterated during the first Whitlam Government in this country by the Teachers' Federation at the time 'learning has to be fun' - so I speculate this video sets out to entertain first and educate second.

As I said, so sad. Our beloved SY's are just more automotive confetti to those in the Land of the Free and littorals so bury your emotions and concentrate on dragging old girls out of the backs of garages and wean them back onto to the road!

John Shostrom
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2012 - 05:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Our beloved SY's are just more automotive confetti to those in the Land of the Free and littorals so bury your emotions and concentrate on dragging old girls out of the backs of garages and wean them back onto to the road!"

Bill: The best comment on the situation that I have ever read. Many thanks.

John

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2012 - 15:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John. I fear it was the product of a little excessive sampling of a rather nice schnapps which I was obliged to drink to avoid offending mine host!!

John Shostrom
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, 19 October, 2012 - 00:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, I can easily appreciate that! In fact, after viewing that wretched video, I decided the only way I could properly console myself was with a couple of fingers of single malt in the nicest cut crystal glass to hand.

Cheers!

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, 23 October, 2012 - 01:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, when people begin to routinely wear their nightclothes or pajamas to Wal-Mart it is hard to expect anyone to have any respect, so I am not happy but not surprised.

Leho Proos
Experienced User
Username: lehoproos

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 23 October, 2012 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are times when one is somewhat embarassed by what other Canadians do. However by way of a brief explanation - - -
This video ia an episode of a 'reality' television program. I understand that such shows are semi-scripted and shoot hours upon hours of film which is then edited down to 40 odd minutes of the most outrageous parts. You may conclude that I am not a fan of reality shows. Since the show is in at least its fifth season, somewhere there must be a TV executive who earnestly believes that there is an audience for this show. There is hardly any accounting for tastes.
As to government funding - - -
To the south of us there is a colossus of an entertainment industry that is the source of most of the entertainment viewed in Canada. The federal and provincial governments have deemed it worthy to keep our artists and theatrical technicians off welfare. They therefore give tax breaks to Canadian entertainment companies that use Canadian workers to make Canadian productions in Canada. This governmental support is indirect and does not condone content.
Please don't judge the rest of Canadians by the silly output of a few.

Note to Bill:
While we consider Canada to be a free land, 'The Land of the Free' is toward the south. We are not the same.
Leho

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, 24 October, 2012 - 16:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Leho,

Im sure nobody was judging Canadians as being a land of morons for doing this to an old SSII. Far from it actually. Wonderful skiing, agriculture and that sticky syrup we pour over pancakes that comes from your lands is WONDERFUL!, first few thangs that comes to mind when I think Cananda, as well as a few relations of mine too!! lol.
So yes you a more likely correct and as I said earlier, nobody on here actually knows what the real condition of the car was like. Now while its always a bit 'distressing' seeing one of our cars being 'mistreated', in the case of the link in the thread by complete F+++WITS, it was pure sensational tish tosh TV that would appeal for a few mintues to some people. Lets not cry anymore over this car, of more concern is the two slow and steady killers of all our cars, INACTIVITY and SALTED winter roads...

J

Robert Howlett
Frequent User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, 28 November, 2012 - 20:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My wife would have my shadow looking like this within the first block from my house.Even though its 40 years old she would expect it to handle like a new car. Many times I have sat on the varanda,and heard her new XR6 change into 2nd gear before she hits the letterbox 60 feet,Im glad there is an airbag on my side an antilock brakes "PHEW". I spent 6 weeks in plaster from a broken arm and l contemplated her starting the Rolls but thought against it as she'd have it on its roof on the first roundabout.
cheers