Potential 1975 Shadow purchase Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Potential 1975 Shadow purchase « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Luke Drady
Yet to post message
Username: deja_vu_25

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2012 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello fellow enthusiasts. I am currently looking at a relatively cheap Shadow that appears to be in sound mechanical
Condition. The interior has some bad spots, especially the rear bench seat. Would need replacing or a complete makeover. The exterior has some paint bubbles on one side, and faded paint on roof and bonnet etc. The motor runs without smoke and the trans seems OK. Brakes relined recently. I am getting the opinion of Qld RR mechanic Peter Dancer as I am based in ACT. I am happy for a car I can rego and then slowly "do up" the cosmetics such as the paint, leather and wood etc. I have read within thisnforum and understood that it can be a bit of a gamble buying an old shadow. Am I expecting too much for $12K? Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Luke.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2012 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have I suddenly become invisible ?

Luke Drady
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2012 - 23:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Bill, not invisible. Here is the CarSales link:
http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=10955489
Cheers Luke

Hubert Kelly
Experienced User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2012 - 00:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45AfHbv1hRA
Luke, check this out..

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2012 - 01:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One cannot overemphasize how important the service history is in considering one of these cars [whether that service history is from dealer/garage receipts or owner self-maintenance records if the owner appears to be honest and know what they were doing].

I also think you could probably do better as far as condition goes (the pictures show a missing rear bumper, a partially worked-on passenger door, and some clear tampering with engine bay electricals, for starters) for $12,500. Heaven knows what condition the brakes/hydraulics are in and those are wallet and/or time drainers.

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2012 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought a Bentley T1 in similar condition and similar price, some 3 years later and about $25,000 later I have a reasonable car that still has a few faults but never the less looks good drives beautifully.At least with the restoration that has been carried out I know my car will give me hopefully years of use it is my daily driver.To buy a car that doesn't need much doing to it and has some service history may be all well and good but some time down the track the car will need some money spent.So its a case of repair now or later if you get my meaning.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2012 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

from the pictures.....$20K for body work and respray easy! interior looks tatty and bad, this can be a huge money pit too. Havent even got to mechanicals and electricals yet...if you are not familiar yet with RR's Luke or dont plan on 'hobby DIY for the next decade'....my advice is RUN RUN RUN. Barry has just given you sound advice! This car is a 'donor' car ONLY by the pics. Mate, save your money and look a bit more for a much better one, they are about. Go have a chat with Bill, Im sure he will give you sage advice.
The old adage is TRUE! there is no such thing as a 'cheap' Roller....pay peanuts and you will get a 'box of hammers'. As you say, you are new to RR & B, this car will not endear the marque to you at all, rather it looks like it could easily cost you $30+K to bring up to scratch or become a cankersore in the shed, you will curse it everytime you look at it.

Trust me I know what im talking about, ive seen many people buy these old shitters thinking oh just a bit of this and that and she'll be fine....if they have gone to far...they are DONOR cars only these days...

J

Luke Drady
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2012 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,
Thank you for the advice, i really appreciate it. You have all pretty much said what I was subconsciously thinking about a 'cheap' Roller. It really could be a can of worms and as it has been sitting for quite some time (years apparantely), therefore who knows what condition the mechanicals are really like?? I do know the muffler has rusted out and the bumper is to be re-attached for the asking price. This also includes a new driver door window glass which was recently shattered with a stone from a lawn mower!! I was happy to get a car that was mechanically sound, and possibly do my own restoration to the exterior and interior, but again I do not want it to be a money pit that I do curse each day - as James mentioned. Perhaps $12500 is just too cheap! Having never owned a Roller before it may just be too much of a gamble. i think I will just keep saving my pennies and perhaps purchase a car in the future that has been in the club and has a decent history whether it be a Shadow or a Spirit/Spur. I have been an enthusiast of these magnificent cars since I was a boy and used to be an associate member of the Canberra chapter of the RR club (20 years ago). I will keep on searching...and I think I will drop Mr Coburn a line too. Regards Luke

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2012 - 16:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wise move Luke,I fell in to the trap of a cheap Bentley and now in hindsight should have looked further for some thing better.I,m happpy with my car but my outlay of $35,000 which includes cost of car and money I've spent on restoration,I probably could have got something really good maybe a later model for the same money.

Philip Sproston
New User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 11 October, 2012 - 08:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

luke I have a early T1 bentley that has a lot work done to the motor.can be put back on the road for about $5000.00 to$6000.00 with new brake if you do a lot of the work which I can help useing use my work shop in harden .like to see car back on the road an not stripped. Cost $6000.00 delivered Phil sproston 0418266631

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, 12 October, 2012 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Replace the AUD sign with the GBP sign and that's what I paid for my '76 model Shadow 1 five years ago. However at first listening the engine sounded terminal when I went to look at her before placing my bid on eBay. I had to listen very carefully from several directions before I could trace the unwanted noise to a blowing B bank exhaust manifold. Doing the job myself cost me 3 days of sweat and grime and a whopping GBP 15! And that includes the purchase of a new engineer's file to dress back the mating surface of the manifold.

Since then I've done a complete overhaul of the braking system and rear suspension, rewired the door electrics and (of course) done all my own servicing. The only professional work I've had done was to have a patch welded into the rear right hand cill. Obviously the paint, upholstery, trim and carpets aren't in the first flush of youth, but I've done quite a bit of work on them and they're now in fair nick if I do say so myself. Since we're now heading into Winter in Blighty I've taken her off the road to tackle a few more jobs before I run her again.

I have to agree with the previous posters that, unless you know exactly what to look/listen/feel for when considering the purchase of a 30 odd year old RR/B, then you MUST only look at the ones which come with a thick pile of service history receipts - especially for the last 3-5 years. I certainly wouldn't entertain a "barn find" Shadow 1 at those prices since you can get one with a current roadworthiness certificate and very little consmetic problems for the same amount of money.

Luke Drady
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 13 October, 2012 - 23:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks also Jan for the wise words. Yes it certainly pays to be able to view the car and do the usual testing and review or service books prior to purchase.

Phillip, your T Bentley sounds interesting. What year model? So $6k to purchase and $6k to get it on the road?

Cheers Luke