What is this RR plate? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » What is this RR plate? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The latest Doctor Who episode 'The Angels Take Manhattan' shows for a very few moments this plate mounted somewhere in the Tardis. (The Doctor uses it as a mirror to check his hair is okay before a rendezvous with his wife, River Song.)

RR plate in Tardis

Can anyone identify it or shed light on it being in any way genuine?

What it signifies of course - if anything - is anyone's guess. You can never tell with the episode's author Steven Moffat.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I hope there is a prize for this. I would guess that its format at least is genuine given the hyphen in the name. The Mk VII was the original name planned for the 4 1/2 litre engine but Jaguar beat them to it and the R type emerged. The FD (hear is a super guess) may refer to engines for fire trucks which were much paraded in the fifties with their interlocking RR's. Then there were lots of 'B' series engines floating around in boats, Austin Champs and eight cylinder commercial applications.

After exercising my rapidly waning knowledge of anything, should I win this quiz, please do not immediately send me the case of Scotch as I may choose to spread it around a few denizens of your State and save on freight.

Ah a further PS thought on the FD. How about engines for Denis (sp) Fire trucks. --- There, I am exhausted!

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 10:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are you telling me that you did not know that Rolls Royce made the Tardis in the first place. For a time machine to have lasted that long it MUST have been made in Crewe and to the best of my knowledge has never had a "failure to proceed" well if it has the Dr soon put it right with his sonic pencil. Perhaps we could all do with one of those when ours goes wrong. Put a lot of mechanics out of business though. - Just a thought...

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, there is the FD12 MkVII marine engine used by Foden. I do know that some Foden trucks use motors manufactured by Rolls-Royce. There was some sort of shared manufacturing by Foden and Rolls-Royce for a long time.

Any other clues ?

RT.

Randy Roberson
Experienced User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Obviously a plate for a military-service RR engine. My vote is Richard gets the prize!

Robert Howlett
Frequent User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2012 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LMAF..I thought I was the only one in Australia that watched the Dr and Tourchwood?..

cheers
RH

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Experienced User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2013 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I doubt there is any evidence in any Soviet file that RR made the Tardis or the Tardis is NATO issue. As for Doctor Who, this series has been extremely unfair, indeed racist against the Daleks who only came to help humankind. Furthermore, the two screws holding the plate appear to be countersunk and the grooves don't line up. Nothing like that could have come out of Crewe although Hunt House's file on JRH23682 has handwriting that could well be by the original doctor after a few bottles of Vodka.