Any takers? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Any takers? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2012 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158616/Bentley-convertible-25-000-Well-turned-rhubarb-custard-station-wagon.html

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, 17 June, 2012 - 16:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Certainly beats plain silver.
I would find this very useful for driving the dogs to shows.
Regards,
Brian

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2012 - 00:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not I, that's for sure.

With the amount of work that appears to have gone into making this conversion you'd think they would have adjusted the rear door window arrangement slightly to create a visual flow. As it is it just looks wrong.

Brian

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2012 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Plaiin silver, how dare you Brian, how very dare you! No offence taken of course

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2012 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Kevin, I own a plain silver, a plain green, a plain red x 2 and a plain brown...how plain is that?
I would love the yellow over rhubarb. Certainly the concept of a Bentley Wagon would be useful in my case - even if the C pillar area does not segue as beatifully as it might.
Regards,
Brian

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2012 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I could get it to Aust for a cheap price - I'd buy it. Love the looks.

Does Milford make a cargo barrier for this wagon?

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2012 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paint it black, stick a coffin in the back and HEY PRESTO! You're on to a nice little earner.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, 22 June, 2012 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I dare say being an old 82 Mulsanne Turbo, it would look better with the original front and rear bumpers, original wheel trims and of course without that insane extention. Nothing would help the unfortunate colour combination....Im surprised its not an Arab car...and shocked that someone would have ordered such a dreadful colour combination. I think the "val des ere' estate conversions done in the late 80's early 90's, while awful too lets not forget that, are much better balanced than this horrible abomination. Pity really as its condition apart from the modifications, seems brillant.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, 22 June, 2012 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I must be getting old! It's taken all this time to recall that in the late 80's there was a similar conversion - albeit in more restrained colouration - driving around on local roads. Unfortunately even back then it was suffering from almost terminal tinworm and may have succumbed to it long ago.
At the time there was a rumour that it was the only one that Crewe had built as an experiment that was quietly dropped before going into general production. Unlikely, I know, but ...

However would this one be more to your tastes?

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2012 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Haha better Jan, better. However I remember now it was Robert Jankel Designs that did the Estate 'conversions'. If you go to 'Bentley SPotting' there are some very good photos of real examples he did convert. Now some of the colour choices are clearly outrageously awful however I stand by my comments that these Jankel design ' Val Des ere' estates are a much better looking estate than that dreadful thing in the Channel Islands but all in all....I keep asking why do that at all to a Crewe car? if you want a designer station wagon buy a bloody Range Rover and be done with it.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2012 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the same vein I have often lusted after one of these. I've owned a series of Jags including the V12 XJS, but it had to go once it became incompatible with my business needs. If it had been a 'Lynx Eventer' I might still have it. It was so smooth and deceptively fast that neither my wife and mother ever noticed that we were often skating down the motorway at significantly over a ton!

Once (solo) at well over the legal speed limit a rear tyre blew out and ripped the inner and outer wings to shreds and yet there was no loss of control so that I was able to casually coast to a halt on the hard shoulder. It was the drivers of the two following cars that were shaking when they pulled up behind me!