Unusual Finned Rolls - Greenwich Conc... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Unusual Finned Rolls - Greenwich Concours « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry Halpert
Experienced User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 12 June, 2004 - 15:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At the Greenwich Concours in Connecticut this past weekend, the Rolls centennial was celebrated. My '89 won best Rolls 1988-2002, and it was probably the most "regular" car. Out of the large group of exotic and rare Rolls Royces of all decades + the new Phantom (seen in its background tent, this 1957 was unusual.
1957 Rolls Royce

1957 Rolls Royce

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, 13 June, 2004 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Does the entry list give any details on this car - interesting coachbuilding based on the 1950's "tail fin" design school - I must admit growing up in this era and being absolutely fascinated by these designs and later on becoming aware of the technology involved in metal forming the sharp creases and abrupt changes of direction forced on the steel to give the final appearance. Great Stuff!!!

Larry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.195.74.199
Posted on Monday, 14 June, 2004 - 07:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

The show list his car as a "1957 Rolls Royce Two Seat Roadster", and gives the owner's name. Things were hectic enough where I never ran into him during the show to ask further details.

Larry

J B Goodison
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.217.33.178
Posted on Monday, 14 June, 2004 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The paint job is not quite right. Should it not really be a glowing pink with a sprinkle of gold glitter.
JBG

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, 14 June, 2004 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think I recall this car a one off job in Dalton's book the Elegance Continues.Let's not scoff I would have it glitter or none!

Mark Herbstreit
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.139.91.79
Posted on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,
Get a copy of 'The Classic Rolls-Royce' by G.N.Georgano and turn to page 79. An identicle car is shown as a Freestone and Webb two seater drop head coupe Chassis SED179. The hood cover appears to have been modernised.