Club magazines need new home Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Club magazines need new home « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dickinson
Frequent User
Username: au2018

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2012 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there,

I'm having a garage clean-out and have a box of assorted London & Derby plus Praeclarum magazines.

They're pretty well complete for the last eight years plus a chap gave me a heap back around 2005-06 that, from memory, stem from the 1990s. There'd have to be well over 100 magazines! I'm not a magazine collector and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in taking them off my hands - free to a good home! If anyone's interested I wouldn't mind if you picked them up from where I live (Rosebery, not far from Sydney airport). I don't know if posting them would be a good idea, it could work out to be pretty pricey.

Please email me on kometa@iinet.net.au if you want them.... first in, best dressed. John

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2012 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the record John I am trying to get a complete set from my first edition in 1974. This is to eventually index them for future generations.

I am missing 1989-5
1988-1, all of 1987
and 1986 -3

If you should have any of these I would be grateful

Bill C

John Dickinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 - 01:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, I'll have a look through the collection to see if any of those listed above are there. If I locate the specific magazines they're yours. John

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 - 21:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could you possibly weigh them and get a surface shipping price (usually a lot cheaper than airfreight), please? Depending on the price I would definitely be interested. I had a few RROC mags a while back, but that was when owning a Rolls was still a pipe dream, so I let them go.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 06:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Re the missing copies of "Praeclarvm", have you checked all the State Branch Libraries?

They should have these copies lurking in the archives.

John Dickinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, I still haven't had a look through the collection for the magazines you're interested in, I'll do that tomorrow (Thurs 9th).

"Could you possibly weigh them and get a surface shipping price (usually a lot cheaper than airfreight), please? Depending on the price I would definitely be interested. I had a few RROC mags a while back, but that was when owning a Rolls was still a pipe dream, so I let them go."

Hi Jan, I've got no problem weighing the magazines but just to let you know (re. shipping), it takes two people to lift the plastic bin they're stored in. I don't think it'll be cheap to mail them, whichever method you use. Where would they be surface shipping to... Sydney to....?

John Dickinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2012 - 13:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, I've gone through all the mags and there are none dated prior to 1994. Sorry, I wish I could've helped.

To anyone interested, there are approximately 180 magazines (roughly 110 London & Derby plus 70 Praeclarum) with an all up mass of approximately 21kg. There are some magazines (in both titles) from 1994-96, the bulk of the magazines being both titles from 2004 onwards. I use approximate numbers in some cases as I'm yet to clean out office drawers and add whatever I find.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2012 - 21:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've looked into the shipping costs. Based on a final wrapped shipping weight of 22 kilos and dimensions in the area of a 2 foot cube the best quote to get them to Blighty I've had is $AU 206! Eek!

I think I'll leave it, thanks.

John Dickinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2012 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to those people who made inquiries regarding the magazines, particularly the email inquiries in the last couple of days, the collection has found a new home. Regards, John.