"Compact" R-R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » "Compact" R-R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.218
Posted on Friday, 28 May, 2004 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reported in the Melbourne "Herald-Sun" - 28/5; "A compact Rolls-Royce could be joining the Phantom flagship in the classic British brands stable" / "most likely around the size of todays 7 series". It is implied that as BMW have "redeveloped" the "Mini", they intend to do likewise with R-R. Maybe in time we will see a "Mini" (and X5/Z4?) version of the R-R. And you thought the Germans didnt have a sense of humour?. All to be made by the company that no one wanted in 1946, their RELIABLE cars being dismissed as a joke awaiting an audience, just as they were (still) derisively dismissed on this forum within the last week. Announcing the new (entry level?) compact, BMW supremo, Goeschel said that they saw Lexus (Toyota) as "one of the big future challenges". I wonder why they would say that?. Could it be due to the OUTSTANDING reliability/inherent quality of the Lexus as clearly recorded in the consumer guide book - "The Dog & Lemon Guide", said book, along with Lexus, again being flippantly dismissed as some kind of joke. There is MUCH to be learned by "expert" observers and commentators alike and the future will provide that learning as mystique,"legends" and folklore finally fall victim to reality.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2004 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our daily transport is a Lexus LX470 which must be the ultimate 4WD although the Hummer must be an interesting contender even if awkward to park! The detail and care that went into putting the Lexus together combined with the after sales service is in my experience without parallel. I am ashamed to admit that I have always been grossly prejudiced against Japanese cars yet every year I have to swallow my aversions when new innovative models emerge. I think my attitude is brewed by the underlying 'disposable' philosophy in the Japanese car industry. Three years and you throw it away, encouraged by punitive national legislation I understand. Our Lexus incidentally which has the most comprehensive owner's handbook I have ever seen, has a chapter on disposing of the car and which bits should go where!!! By comparison my Rolls-Royce and Bentley feel like very comfortable, durable old coats that the smallest tear can be and I feel should be repaired immediately and when I for whatever reason decide to dispose of them I will make every endeavour to see that they go to good homes. Perhaps the comparison is similar to the English phenomena of 'new money' versus 'old'. I don't really comprehend my aversions but I am happy to enjoy the 'new' breed's reliability innovation comfort and service which is a bit like a couple of my young Green acquaintances who happily borrow the car to get to an anti-fossil fuel rally somewhere. It is a puzzlement!

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.195.31
Posted on Monday, 07 June, 2004 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Out in the Shadow on the week end, I happened across some riders of a well known U.S motorcycle and after an exchange of the usual pleasantaries, I posed the following question. "Let us assume that the company which manufactured your (very nice) machines, decided to sell their plant and equipment at market value but offered the BRAND NAME separately for sale (by tender) said name being aquired by a well known competitive JAPANESE mnfr.(of motorcycles)who then constructed a purpose built plant in the U.S.A (Ohio for example) to build, essentially from imported Japanese components, a "new" motor cycle (by THIS time I am receiving menacing looks!) bearing the revered and legendary (original) 100 y.o approx. proprietory name". WHATS THE ##@!!*#* QUESTION MAN??!!!.. bellowed Bart the Bruiser who by now was beginning to show displeasure at my very presence. "Er.. well", I ventured, "Would anyone BUY such a machine?". The looks on their collective faces left me in NO doubt as to the answer. "Oh dear" sighed I, as I drove off into the sunset in one of the finer expressions of British engineering, appreciative of my "R" type back home, as soon to be joined by a Silver Cloud to keep it company.

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, 07 June, 2004 - 22:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John;

Your question to these riders was closer than you may realize. As one of the bankers for said company during the 80’s there was a standing offer on the table from that Japanese competitor. This offer was not only to the executives who purchased the company from AMF (via a LBO) but was also extended to the primary creditor.

There was a period in the mid 80’s where the possibility of what you had suggested came extremely close to happening. And yes the offer, which was moderate 9 figures, did include some of the plants in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania but not all and certainly not for continued production.

Best regards,
Bill

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.70
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2004 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Bill. I had heard of this "near death" experience for the iconic motorcycle marque. Owners, past,present and future must surely be eternally grateful that the company survived to retain its autonomy,continuing to this day to produce their legendary machines the cult status of which will never be equalled by any other manufacturer.