SRH4453 information wanted Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » SRH4453 information wanted « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Hodgetts
Yet to post message
Username: richard_hodgetts

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 14 November, 2011 - 15:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently purchased SRH4453 in Hobart ( estate??) without any record of its providence. I believe it was registered as 00-850 in NSW years ago. Can anyone help with info if its not too personal? NSW cannot identify it.

Richard Hodgetts
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 15 November, 2011 - 09:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Being an ex teacher I should know I meant provenance not providence. I found RROCA and AA (UK)badges in the boot which could suggest the previous owner was a member?
richard.hodgetts3@telstra.com

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2011 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

My records only go back to 2001 and your chassis number is not listed.

I suggest you should get the build history for your car from the RREC in the UK by contacting Hunt House - these are most informative about the history of your car during assembly and initial delivery to its original owner. If the car was delivered direct to Australia and is not an import, you can follow up with the R-R agent locally; if it was York Motors in NSW, their comprehensive records are held in the Australian Sir Henry Royce Foundation archives and can be obtained at a very reasonable cost.

The Hunt House link for the factory records is below:

http://www.rrec.org.uk/History/Construction_and_Test_Records.php

Lawrence Heasman
Frequent User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2011 - 12:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Do you know if there are any records kept in Honk Kong. The build sheets for my '89 model Spur (SCAZN00A5KCH24747) name the boat it was shipped to HK on from Crewe in '88 and the purchaser but from there the trail goes cold.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2011 - 15:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
My records show SRH4453 listed with a Tony Purchase from around 1988-1999 reg NSW RR053. He was a NSW branch member. It appears he moved to Tassy in 1999.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2011 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lawrence, I don't know about Hong Kong records but you could start with the current R-R agent and see if they have any historical records or know where they might be located that would contain information about your car.

If you can back-track your vehicle's registration history with your state motor vehicle authority, the original registration should contain the relevant import documentation and Custom's clearance for entry of the vehicle into Australia. The other method would be to go direct to Customs and see if their archives are accessible for tracking the vehicle's importation into Australia. Another source may be Quarantine [now AQIS] as all cars had to be steam cleaned on arrival and a certificate issued by Quarantine before the car was released from bond for clearance by Customs.

Richard Hodgetts
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2011 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark & David,
I expect Tony has passed away as a legal firm sold the car, unfortunately without service records. Interestingly the plates on it (NSW 00.850 York Motors surround) are now reg in NSW to a KIA which is why ID-ing the car for registration purposes has been slow, but I hope to reg next week.
The purchase was a spur of the moment thing & never contemplating being a RR owner I find it a scary & surreal experience, but wow, what a driving experience! Thanks guys!

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, 17 November, 2011 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
It would be worthwhile sending the Sir Henry Royce Foundation an inquiry if the car was looked after by Yorks.

archives@roycefoundation.com.au

John Shostrom
Prolific User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2011 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lawrence

The local Rolls-Royce agents do not have any records of the older cars. If your car was purchased/sold new here, it would have been through MD Motors Limited, who no longer exist. I would suggest you contact the RREC at Hunt House and have Barbara Westlake send you the build sheets, which will contain the original purchase order from MD Motors. Additionally, you might have some success by contacting the Transport Department, but I can assure you it will be a lengthy process at best, and a futile one at worst: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/access_to_information/list_of_records_by_category/index.html

Good luck.

Lawrence Heasman
Frequent User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, 25 November, 2011 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John for that very useful link. I'll give it a go. I already have the build sheets from Barbara and it did go to MD Motors. I thought they may no longer be trading as I could not find anything when I Googled them. What I do know is the car was in Canberra for some time, owned by the Japanese Embassey. Does anyone know where they may have had SCAZN00A5KCH24747 serviced?

Peter Morgan
New User
Username: rrnut

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2012 - 14:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A little bit more information on Tony Purchase and SRH4453..Tony arrived in Dungog,NSW IN THE '70'S and established a liquid gas supply company servicing the district. During that time he purchased a Silver Cloud and was probably one of the first Rollers to run on gas. Tony married a local girl from Pinebrush not far from Dungog and during that time he purchased a second roller, probably SRH4453. During the early nineties he sold up and purchased a marina around Hobart, I think near Oyster Bay. I didn't hear of him since then other to know that he had passed away in Tassie.

Richard Hodgetts
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2012 - 19:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks Peter. SRH appears to have had new paint and interior and presents really well and I purchased it on spec at auction as noone wanted it but it looked new so Tony sure looked after it. Apart from new plugs, tyres (it had sat a good while) and battery I have got out of it VERY cheaply. Interestingly the NSW plates on it were traced back to a Kia and the other reg number it was supposed to have traced back to a Commodore so it looks like NSW plates can be reissued anew?? I have failed to find out more on Tony in Tas and the estate sold the Rolls without records. pity. I remain a poor retired school teacher who had a health scare and thus was living out my first "bucket list" year when I purchased the Rolls on the spur of the moment. What a lovely experience but I fear my first real repair bill.