Assistance needed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Assistance needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Experienced User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, 15 September, 2011 - 15:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having attended the recent Technical Day in St Ives, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I came away with renewed faith in the old girl (SRH 19305) and felt a little more confident in handling a few small tasks. ... That was until I took her out the other day and she starts to misfire on me, or at least I think that is what it is. Having read it could be leads, spark plugs etc. I gamely went for the sparks, bought new and attempted to remove the old one's. 45 mins on one alone which was tucked down by the RR363 Fluid reservoir, managed to get it out but cant get the new one back in, well at least not all the way. I would like to be able to do this myself but unfortunately my hands being the size they are don't always allow for good access. I tried using longer spanners etc but to no avail. After much swearing and cursing I now find myself putting finger to the keyboard to see if someone near to Cherrybrook would like to give me a hand with the sparks and help me diagnose the misfiring issue, slab of beer for lucky person, must have small hands though..thanks in advance, hoping you can help

Kevin

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Thursday, 15 September, 2011 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin, try slipping a short length of garden hose over the plug and use this to guide the plug into the head. Once you have it in position, gently turn the hose to engage the plug thread. DO NOT FORCE IT - if it doesn't engage freely, back off and try again until you get a smooth easy take-up. Once it is engaged, tighten with a spark plug socket, universal joint and a "wobble" head extension.

Cross-threading must be avoided for obvious reasons......

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2011 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,

it's hard the first time, but after some practice I can now do all the spark plugs in less than 45 min.
My secret : the cheapest plug spanner available.
Just be patient and it will work.

(Message edited by BenoitLeus on 16 September 2011)

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2011 - 19:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a similar plug spanner with a little gaffa tape around the universal joint to prevent it flopping around too much. I don't know how others cope with plug changing, but on SRH24518 I budget a whole day to change the plugs or plug leads. Because of this the last time I did it I replaced them with NGK Iridium plugs which shouldn't need replacing in my lifetime even if they only last half their claimed mileage!