Shocks - Shocking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Shocks - Shocking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Experienced User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2011 - 15:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My shocks will probably need changing in the not too distant future. I was just quoted $ 1600 for the front two alone. Also there was some doubt that they could do the rear two because of the self levelling system. What's the general opinion out there? suggestions anyone.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2011 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The process for changing the dampers is fully described in the relevent manual and (depending on the precise model of Rolls/Bentley) may also be in an issue of Tee-One Topics. On the whole the front ones are relatively simple and can be replaced with a number of cheaper, but just as good, aftermarket ones. The rears are a very different matter since, as you've been told, all the self levelling gubbins (sorry for the technical term there) have to be removed to gain access to the top nuts. If the dampers are the original ones then things may not be so bad, but if they've been replaced at some time in the past there could be damage to contend with that can make the job almost impossible.
Think yourself lucky that you don't have a 100 litre LPG tank in the boot that will have to be removed before the rears can be tackled!
I still think $1600 is quite steep for such a simple task. Perhaps the garage thinks they have to remove the front springs first? Thankfully they don't as that's more of an adventure than a job.
The garage you've gone to seem not to be completely au fait with your model of RR/B, so it would be better (and probably cheaper in the long run) if you wait for another forum member to come along and recommend another more competent mechanic in your locality - wherever that is.

Kevin Lagden
Experienced User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2011 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car is Silver Shadow 1974 SRH 19305 and location Sydney, thanks Jan and thankfully no LPG Gas tank in the rear

Brian Vogel
Experienced User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2011 - 23:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My guess is that they're quoting for Boge shocks, which are now almost made of unobtainium and have been extremely expensive for some time.

Bilstein currently makes replacement shocks that were exclusively created for the SY and pre-active-ride SZ cars. Some say they give a somewhat firmer ride than the original Boge shocks while others claim to notice no significant difference. The numbers are:

Front: Bilstein B46-1429
Rear: Bilstein B46-1430

Both sets of shocks are a PITA to replace but for different reasons. I gave up on replacing my back shocks in 2009 because I simply could not get the height control rams to break free in the boot. I figured I've made multiple soakings with penetrating oil and may try again in a year or two. I'm really not certain that they need to be replaced I just wanted to replace the springs. They've been "fixed" using rubber spring spacers to achieve the correct standing height and things have remained fine.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2011 - 00:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian: By using a single spring compressor (there isn't space for 2) it's possible to remove the rear springs using just ramps, axle stands and a smallish hydraulic jack with a couple of decent wood blocks. I got both of them off earlier this year by this method, although I 'repaired' the low stance by the same method as you. Oddly when I now reverse her on to the ramps (for whatever purpose) she stands several inches higher at the rear than with on all 4 wheels on the ground.
As I mentioned in an earlier thread; the bottom metal spacers had completely rotted away, but the canvas seat was still pristine!

In a couple of years if I'm feeling a bit more flush financially I'll do the job again, this time with new springs. I may even spring (!) for a set of dampers at the same time. In the meantime she handles just as well as you can expect for a 2.5 tonne luxury limousine designed for comfort rather than speed.

Dave Burbidge
Experienced User
Username: ovation

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 10 September, 2011 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't buy shocks in Australia they are way too dear.
Best to buy from the UK . I bought my last set of Bilsteins plus ball joint kits from EverythingRolls Royce ( Paul a very helpful forum member) for a fraction of the cost in Australia.
I have also sourced windscreen rubbers for 1/3 the cost in UK. If you need contacts I am happy to supply the details.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, 10 September, 2011 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a handy link there Dave. £600 for both rear bottom spring cup replacements seems a mighty fair price to me. The ones on The Old Girl are on their way out (advisory at the last MOT) although I've Waxoyled them inside and out. With a bit of luck they should last another couple of years, then I'll see about having them seen to. Maybe even have new springs and dampers fitted at the same time.