Spirit Coachline in plastic? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Spirit Coachline in plastic? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2010 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was recently advised of a transitional period in the mid 1980s during which R-R built Spirits using an acrylic stick-on coachline rather than one painted by hand. I find this almost impossible to believe - but I stand ready to be corrected! Does anyone have a definitive answer please?
Regards,
Brian

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2010 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian/ I don't know how to tell you this but you are correctly informed. In fact there is a Factory Bulletin somewhere detailing the various colours and dimensions of the line that were available in rolls for the Rolls so to speak.

Perhaps I should not mention this in the same posting, but I was startled to note the pictures of mishaps at one of the Cannonball 'races' in which the current Phantom was represented. The Phantom endeavoured to modify a roadside safety fence and when the debris had settled, there very clearly was a rather mangled front end clearly fabricated in fibreglass!! 'Gadzooks' I said, pouring myself several fingers of Glen Livett, but then realised the wisdom displayed.

Recently my little mate tryed to bulldose one of those low lying wooden pole parking preventers with our newly arrived Toyota Aurion. The post won. The damage was a rather twisted lower front end panel, a broken grill and a broken headlight surround. After he recovered from his injuries (I did apologise for my violent nature) we trotted into the local Toyota patchit shop and next day had a blemishless car returned to us. Had that been my S2 we probably would have required a chassis aligner to correct things.

Apart from probable convenience, vehicle safety standards and government regulations there is also the bottom line so to speak. The Factory never ran the place as a charity and if there was a way to save discretely they did it.

I really never recovered from their decision to wrap their wiring looms in insulation tape and string them around the engine bay rather than conceal them in those very nice aluminium channels and bends so beautifully fitted in the Mark VI Bentley and Silver Dawn!

It's 7.30AM and all this urges me again towards the bottle, but perhaps it is a bit early!! Cheer up mate, these cars will still be going, stripes and tape notwithstanding, when you and I are feeding the worms!!

Brian Crump
Frequent User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2010 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill,
Thank you; I fear that my day will be a grey one following your sad news. Perhaps you even have a copy of that Bulletin: I feel I may need to write a short article on this...
Do you think I might still pen a letter to the Factory and chide them about their wiring looms? Their 'telegraph line' approach to wiring does, however, make for easy repairs. Over a Single Malt (good peaty finish preferred) I will explain how I know...
Regards,
Brian

Brian Crump
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, 21 October, 2010 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I have spoken to several people who were members of the R-R management or who were principals of dealerships during the time - and not one can recall ever having seen a Spirit/Spur with a stick-on strip or a factory memo to that effect.
Perhaps someone has an actual copy?
regards,
Brian

Lawrence Heasman
Frequent User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, 03 March, 2011 - 11:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

According to the series Ultimate Factories that just aired on the National Geographic Channel it is still done by hand, but there is only one chap left who can do it and no one lined up to replace him! His secret is chalk dust on his fingers so not to drag on the coachwork as he paints the line. It was a fantastic program all about the Goodwood factory. See this link for more details http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/ultimate-factories/4542/Overview
Knowing these channels its sure to be repeated again soon.

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 03 March, 2011 - 18:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, a very interesting TV show indeed. Showing how the Bavarians build modern day RR. All that is left to the UK factory is basically painting, assembly, wood and leather work. Quite sad. The story of the lonely pinstriper is pure legend building, there are thousands of people around who can do this and much even much more complex pinstriping work. Just type "pinstriping" in youtube and you will get an idea. Bottom line: we shouldn't worry to much that RR will find a successor to the lonely chap :-)

arnold klein
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 76.214.11.132
Posted on Thursday, 03 March, 2011 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having visited the factory the president was not German but English and the head of BMW in South Africa. He with Nelson Mandela set-up all the Aids Clinics in South Africa which is quite amazing in that South Africa has a decreasing incidence of hiv these days,. Having owned a Bentley S2, A 75 Corniche and two Phamtoms Good Wood is a very inspirational facility, Is is home for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars for the 21st Century. It is more than just a building to house the headquarters and manufacturing plant. The challenge was to make it a symbol of Rolls-Royce's innovative approach, unique forward-thinking and respect for tradition. Interestingly some of the individuals who built my 75 Corniche were still there. Arnold Klein MD,Professor of Medicine and Dermatology,UCLA,Los Angeles Cal.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Lawrence Heasman
Frequent User
Username: lheasman

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2011 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those in Australia with Foxtel / Austar Megafactories: Rolls Royce airs again Tuesday 8th March at 22:30 on National Geographic Channel 610.

Brian Crump
Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am preparing a paper on Spirits and have spoken to a number of people, including some who worked at Crewe on Spirits in the 90s. No-one recalls the use of plastic pin-striping on a Spirit/Spur - if anyone has real evidence of such having been used I would appreciate hearing more detailed information. Of course, never say it was never used...
So far though, it looks unlikely to have been an opriginal choice.
Regards,
Brian Crump

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.117.74
Posted on Sunday, 03 April, 2011 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With regard to Bill Coburn's comments (and my respect for the man is immeasurable) above vis-a-vis his Toyota. Was it not the honourable Mr. Royce who said that any job might 'be done cheaper and worse'? I might add faster as well.

(Message approved by david_gore)