Updating Infotainment, how far should... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Updating Infotainment, how far should I go? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, 14 October, 2010 - 18:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear list,

This question concerns the updating of the pre-2003 RR/Bentley audio units to "expandable integrated infotainment units", in which a hub operates all infotainment systems of the car and the control is made by a single touchscreen (see Kenwood KOS-V1000).

Background: my CD changer in Continental R 52020 died, this time a definite death, so it's time to update the Alpine system.

I must point out before I go on, that all components, including the radio head and so on will be carefully stored and not thrown away, I might want to get the car back to 100% factory specification one day.

Now my questions:

a) The update could be a new Alpine 9887 headunit, which is by far one of the best commercial units money can buy (excluding one-offs like Makintosh) and update the external amplifiers. Speakers are already updated with Alpine units. Total cost 1000€, advantages: great sound, Ipod compatibility and Bluetooth and most important fits in the 1 DIN slot of the original radio.

Inconvenient of option a) no possibility of system integration in one unit (GPS, touchscreen IPod...) a large foldaway screen found in other Alpine headunits covers the gauges in the upper middle console, which I do not like.

b) The update could be more ambitious, and incorporate a built-in a new central infotainment unit (Kenwood KOS V1000) controlled by a remote touchscreen in the middle console. Advantages: integrated GPS, direct soft touch Ipod control, handsfree calling and on-screen dialling, modular integration on the basis of the touchscreen interface, so internet-etc... goes all through a single screen.

Inconvenient: Option b) would need to be custom made to the Continental centre console which means to remove the centre vent (which I do not use anyway). Removal of the centre vent would be non-destructive, so the originality would be kept and the removed components would be stored to be eventually used later, in case one day the car is only used as a hobby.

Inconvenient N° 2 of option b) the appearance (not the structural originality) would be changed. Needless to say that all modifications would be high-quality, but still.

At present I use the car regularly, with long family trips, so I am inclined to fit a full modern Infotainment unit which is up-to date on the other hand the Continental R is a rare beast, so should I not leave the thing undisturbed and use more modern machinery for long trips in case I want the gadgets... I am inclined to say that leaving this wonderful machine home for the holidays would be silly and driving with GPS cables hanging all over the place is not that pleasant anyway.

On the other hand, maybe I am exaggerating as the other day I saw an Azure with factory navigation, and it was a rather crudely integrated (TomTom?) screen in the lower middle console...

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Lluís

(Message edited by Lluís on 14 October 2010)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2010 - 23:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wouldn't worry much over the 'problem'. The factory ethos has always been to use the best proven technology of the day along with the concept that 'the customer is always right'. Most cars have had their ICE replaced over the years as the units have failed or become obsolete. My Silver Shadow is no longer fitted with the original LW/MW/radio cassette unit, but has a much more modern AM/FM/CD player instead. When the analogue wavelengths are switched off in a few years it will have to be replaced again. Other than the cost I have no trouble with it - and I may even plump for one of those 'infotainment' units at that time as well.