Mystery Bentley ‘Atalanta’ seen in M... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Mystery Bentley ‘Atalanta’ seen in Melbourne « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Klaus F. Bischoff
New User
Username: klaus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 06 September, 2010 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

on a visit to Melbourne 2000/2001 I saw an incredible, stunning, beautiful 2 ( suicide ) door Bentley, with coachwork similar in style and size to a Bugatti Atalanta, Atlantic, Aerolithe or the likes.

Back home I started researching and found the car, being available ( in 2000/2001 ) for guided city tours.

I can’t get this car out of my mind !

Recently, I searched again, but with no result at all.

Does anyone have a clue what it was, that I come across, is it, maybe, a replica, a one-of-a-kind special body, was it an illusion ????

Would be very grateful for any information

Klaus

Chris Browne
Experienced User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, 07 September, 2010 - 03:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Klaus,
Assuming this was an older Bentley, if you Google "Embiricos Bentley" and look at images, is this the one you were looking at? It seems to fit your description.
Kind regards,
Chris

Klaus F. Bischoff
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 07 September, 2010 - 03:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Chris,
thanks for trying, close, but not it.
If I recall correctly, she had a regular, upright Bentley grill.
I contacted Klaus Rossfeld today and he wrote back as follows:
'most probably it's one of 2 cars IAN SHAW built for himself, based on a 1950 Bentley Mark VI
Chassis-# B4JO, tag # PNI 948 (AUS). The original engine was replaced by a 4.9 ltr. unit, engine # BC101'
I am surprised he did't know what's in the glove box !
Have You heart about Ian Shaw or seen his cars ? I googled him, but to no avail.
Best regards
Klaus

Chris Browne
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, 13 September, 2010 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Klaus.
I was browsing through some RREC Bulletin magazines from the year 2000 last night and came across the attached photographs which I am sure IS the car you are looking for.

The details are as follows: "Ivan (not Ian) Shaw is a car builder and owner from Brisbane. The car is a Mk. 6 chassis shortened by seven inches and is chassis number B4JO. The engine is from an S1 and has dual power assisted brakes and the body is all steel. The registration number is, or was, PNI 948. Hope this information will put your mind at ease as it is a real car, not an illusion, as you suspected.

Kind regards,
Chris

(Message edited by david_gore on 14 September 2010)

Klaus F. Bischoff
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 14 September, 2010 - 01:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Chris

T H A N K Y O U V E R Y M U C H

I can't believe YOU FOUND IT this is it

Now, we have another problem :

I want that car -perod-

Have You seen it ?

I shall google IVAN Shaw right now.

Thank You very much again, shall report on my findings later.

Klaus

Klaus F. Bischoff
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 14 September, 2010 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Chris,

can't find any car related Ivan Shaw, except an airplane designer, but he appears to be in the UK.

Brisban phone directory brought no result either.

Should You have any idea, again, I would be very grateful.

Thank You once again, with best regards

Klaus

Chris Browne
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, 14 September, 2010 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Klaus,
I'm glad I was able to find the car you were looking for. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little information available on the current whereabouts of the car. It was in Brisbane in 2000 so perhaps someone in the RROCA might be able to help you? Are there any Rolls-Royce/Bentley dealers in Brisbane who might know or remember the car? I have checked the chassis number on the database of the RREC in the UK for you but the car is not recorded. If I do find out anything else of interest, I will let you know. Good luck with your search.
Kind regards,
Chris

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 975
Posted on Tuesday, 14 September, 2010 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is some further information from The Sir Henry Royce Foundation Australia archives relating to Tom Clarke & David Neely's book "Rolls-Royce and Bentley in the Sunburnt Country". This was included by the Foundation in a supplement to this book in March 2010:

"B4JO p.397. After ‘SA-301-740;’ add ‘Ravens Pier Garage,
Glenelg, S.A.; Max Hosking, All Star Motors, S.A. ca 1970;
Graham Withers, S.A., 1970s-72 reg’d SA-RHP-777; via
Taylor’s of Medindie to’. After last owner entry add ‘; Peter
Graham, S.A., ca 1992. Car sent to Qld for restoration; Ivan
Shaw, Kenmore, Qld., 1990s reg’d QLD-PNI-948 and fitted
with 1930s style fixed head coupe. S.1 engine fitted.’."

A search of the Queensland White Pages Phone directory gives 32 listings for I. Shaw:

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/resSearch.do?subscriberName=Shaw+&givenName=I&location=Queensland

This vehicle is not currently listed in the RROC[Aust] vehicle register to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck.

(Message edited by david_gore on 14 September 2010)

Benoit Leus
Experienced User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, 14 September, 2010 - 17:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi KLaus,

you could try to contact him through his website :

http://bentleyspecials.netfirms.com/contact.html

Good luck,

Benoit

Klaus F. Bischoff
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 14 September, 2010 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Deart David, dear Benoit,

many thanks to both of You !

Benoits link is right on the spot.

Have written to Ivan Shaw already and will revert as soon as I have a response.

Thank You once again,

Klaus

Klaus F. Bischoff
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 14 September, 2010 - 17:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Chris,

thank You for checking, I really appreciate it !

Well, I found what I was looking for.

I have an "offer I can't refuse" on my '73 Coupe and are looking for something to fill the void, that's why I am after the Ivan Shaw car.

With best regards

Klaus

Klaus F. Bischoff
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 18 September, 2010 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks to the help from one good soul I got Ivan Shaw's current phone number and had a chance to talk to him.
Great things are in the making and maybe there will be a few more eye candies soon .....

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, 27 September, 2010 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Definitely a singular car. That rear end is almost identical to the Bradford made Jowett Javelin!