Greetings from Westerham, Kent, UK Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Greetings from Westerham, Kent, UK « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Talbot
Yet to post message
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 08 July, 2010 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A brief note of thanks for allowing me to join this Forum. As a Technical Resource it is outstanding and I hope to be able to contribute usefully. Peter Talbot

Peter Talbot
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2010 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll be changing over my Broadband Provider in the next week or so (fed up to the back teeth with AOL) but there will be several weeks of a dual broadband facility. Once I'm happy with the new Broadband Provider, I'll update my Profile.

Peter

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 00:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No worries, Sport (as they say Down Under). They even let me join!

(Message edited by Got_One on 29 July 2010)

Peter Talbot
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan - sounds like I'm in good company - Peter

Peter Talbot
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rolls Royce Enthusiasts Club - South Eastern Section - had a great day out at Dover, UK, on 6th June to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of Charles Rolls historic 2 way flight across the Channel. 100 RR (and a few Bentleys)made quite some display. Photos on www.rrec-se.co.uk.

Peter

Barry Brears
Experienced User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 07:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan,Actually we don't use sport anymore terribly crass don't you think ?but we would use mate much nicer.
Barry

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could it be that the usage of 'sport' has declined to such an degree in recent times due to a similar increase in the watching of one particular Antipodean television program about people living in a certain neighbourhood?
Anyhoo ... crack a tinny on me, mate

Apropos of nothing in particular: Would it be of interest to other UK forum members to form a UK chapter of the RROCA? I know we already seem to be well served by the RROC and RREC, but it seems to me that both these clubs tend to meet at expensive 5 star hotels/golf clubs which some of us with less money to burn prefer to steer clear of.
Personally I am quite content to camp out in a tent, trailer tent or caravan as I often do at the weekend meets of the Toyota Estima Owners Club. One of the advantages - apart from the camaraderie of meeting like minded individuals - is the often hefty discounts that can be obtained when they go along as a club and exhibit their vehicles. eg. A couple of months ago the Toyota club went along to a 'Steam Rally' weekend just outside Carlisle where the camping was free. The month before we were at Brean Sands just South of Weston Super Mare at a cost of £5 per unit per night (including electrical hookup) when the normal price is £7 + £2.
Please respond with your opinions on the concept.

Peter Talbot
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I really don't care if I'm addressed as "Sport" or "Mate" or by any other name, so I'm not going to get involved in this. If you want to be pedantic as to my titular form of address then see under, but plain Peter suits me just fine.

The idea of a UK Chapter of RROCA has its attractions - happy to discuss proposition.

I would, however, take issue with Jan as regards cost of RREC. Yes, I pay the annual subs to RREC and in return get The Bulletin, access to databases, technical help, a glossy Year Book, etc. Living in Westerham, Kent, UK, I joined RREC - South Eastern Section. This is a very active Section (see: www.rrec-se.co.uk)with lots of Events and costs me a only a donation (£25 this year)to both belong and receive the regular glossy illustrated magazine and all the Section info.

We none of us "have money to burn" so during the Summer months we go to various venues and picnic at either discount or nil entry fee as we provide an attraction for other Visitors with a line up of RR cars. For example - we went to Groombridge Place recently, no entry fee, great day out, picnic on grass next to cars, met lots of like minded classic car enthusiasts (and a few oddballs - ? ever seen a chopped down Mini ? - will post a photo later).

During the Winter months, RREC-SE Members meet at pubs for lunch - nice but certainly not 5 star - a 3 course lunch comes in at £17.50 to £20.00 each (+ drinks) which is pretty reasonable in this part of Kent.

Why not give RREC-SE a try - you want to camp out, we've got a large garden.

Peter

Dr Peter Talbot DSc,PhD,DBA,MD,DS,etc.
Emeritus Professor of Biotechnology
Emeritus Professor of Computing Science

Peter Talbot
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 10:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chopped down Mini - you really must see the attached photo

Peter

Peter Talbot
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photo got lost somewhere - will try again later

Peter

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 10:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Prof. The South East is a bit far for a day out for me - no matter how cheap it may be when I get there - as I live in South Yorkshire (the cradle of human civilisation). I can do those kind of distances easily in the Estima as it does 30 mpg on filtered waste veg oil! Actually I make the run to Belgium via Dover 4 times a year in it. However, with petrol and LPG prices these days, I can't see it being economic at 14 mpg and 11 mpg respectively. Mind you, I still haven't got around to fitting a towbar to The Old Girl yet. Too many other jobs to do to keep her running sweetly.
On t'other hand: My meager stipend (almost the Widow's Mite) doesn't always stretch to using her for more than local trips and such parts/spares/consumables as are necessary. Perhaps I can't really afford to run a Shadow, but I've got her now and I don't intend to part with her until our fearless guv'mint (of whatever political colour) chooses to say I'm no longer fit to drive her due to age or infirmity! Sadly both are creeping up at a frightening rate of knots these days.
Sithee.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, 30 July, 2010 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I admit to owning and running a Rolls Royce it may seem odd to go on about mere club membership costs, but I don't immediately see any obvious advantages to paying out £92 in the first year (£62 on renewals) plus £25 or so to 'belong' to the regional chapter. £117 can be a lot of money to those of us who run a Rolls or Bentley because we've always loved, and long lusted after, one of these singular marques. It's almost the cost of a single whitewall tyre or 2 black ones to many of us. I know which I would rather have. Add this to the cost of most parts and the occasional need to have work done by 'expert' mechanics and to many of us ownership would remain a unfulfillable dream.
That is why I was so grateful to find and be accepted by this forum. Since I don't have access to any of the more technical parts of the RROC and RREC forums I don't what kind of advice or assistance is available on them, but would either of them let you know that the front brakes and pads are identical to many Fords and Holdens of the same vintage? and that you can get identical components for a fraction of the price of 'genuine Rolls Royce' components? or in the case of petrol pumps and starter motors that later models are even superior? Do the RROC/RREC acknowledge this or just advise that only original replacements are acceptable? Or is it more likely that they would throw up their hands in horror at the suggestion of using ordinary components in their classics? Do they frown on DIY mechanics as these are special cars which can only be worked on by Rolls Royce trained engineers? I don't know because I don't have access ... ~£100 is a lot to shell out just find out - at least to me.
And, while I'm ranting on about money: How many half decent Shadows could you buy for the cost of a single new Mini One? Or insure for that matter?
It's a simple reflection of the current state of the 'classic car market' that some models (mostly the Shadows and their derivatives) are now seen as just relatively cheap, old cars - albeit with a certain cachet that other makes of the same era cannot claim. Even so, the fact that a greater percentage of them have survived to today means they aren't as expensive to buy as many of their contemporaries on a simple supply-and-demand basis. That many don't see them as 'practical' classics that can be worked on by any half decent, even if self-taught, home mechanic makes them that much less desirable and therefore drives down the perceived value even lower.
In the 3 years since I've cared for her The Old Girl has only been in for expert work 3 times. The first was to have the air con recharged. The second was to have the LPG system fitted. The last was for a nearside track rod end and even then I only had him fit it as he was supplying the parts already. Due to all the advice and assistance of this forum plus access to the workshop manual and Tee-One Topics I have been able to do everything else myself in spite of skinned knuckles, barked shins, arthritis, angina and the English weather. How many modern owners would spend 3 days removing, filing 'true' and replacing the 'B' bank exhaust manifold to eliminate a leak, but rather take it into their 'tame mechanic' and say "fix it please"? In case you're wondering, I was quoted £150-£300 for the job. It actually cost me £10 for the gaskets (including postage) and £4.25 for a new Engineer's File. I know many would say that their time is worth more than that, but then they go and spend more money and time on other hobbies. Each to his own.
One of these days she will be passed on to another generation of enthusiasts who, I trust, will lavish as much or more care on her as I have done (just not my idiot nephew, please God, who has written off one car that I gave him and another that he bought himself in the space of 4 months and can no longer afford the insurance premiums for another). I can only hope that they appreciate the time and care I've invested in keeping her for future generations to admire and enjoy.
Now I'm off to do some weeding before the garden turns into a jungle and the dog is eaten by a lion!

Peter Talbot
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, 01 August, 2010 - 11:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys (and Girls, if I'm being correct) - you just have to have a look at: www.shirleychauffeurs.co.uk. Wedding going on at local Church today - nice wedding car but I didn't recognise the bodywork - turns out it's a 5 year old London Back Cab with a 2 year old replica body. It looks real good but maybe not for the purist.

Peter

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, 01 August, 2010 - 11:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If Geely can fake a Phantom (although not get away with it), then I see little wrong with making modern copies of cars from the 20's - 40's. You can even get a fair mockup of a Duesenberg/Cord

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 13:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings from Westerham - I'm back !!!! Been real sick but OK now. See topic Lead Loading - definitive article well on way - enlisted help of Keith Kingham on this (as my hands don't work too well at present) to enable me to get the photos. Keith is MD of Kinghams : www.kinghams.co.uk : and lives only 400 yards down the road from me.

Back soon - Peter

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 13:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm catching up on things : the idea of forming a UK Chapter of RROCA sounds great so let's get on with it. I just elected me interim co-ordinator till we get properly constituted, recognised by RROCA, gather to elect a Committee, and all that formal crap. Don't see any point in subscription fees - we all do things by email which costs nothing. Try this for an idea ::meet up in Westerham early next year - I can arrange cheap B&B locally whilst Jan can camop out in his tent / caravan/ whatever in our garden (well big enough to cope even with Jan's inflated ego). We can do this via the RROCA messge facility but easier if you contact me direct: DrPeterTalbot@aol.com : and I'll keep RROCA informed as to our progress.

Peter

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 16:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

Welcome back and sorry to hear of your illness - I trust the prognosis is everything you would like. I just hope it wasn't lead poisoning from your lead wiping experiments or, even worse, beeswax poisoning!!!!

Best wishes David

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2011 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That camping idea sounds ... 'ACE', but since The Old Girl isn't fitted with a towbar I would have to drag the caravan down hooked up to the Toyota. As it's a diesel and runs on almost 100% used veg oil the fuel costs would be more acceptable for a 400+ mile round journey as well. Once there we could compare notes on illnesses/disabilities!

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2011 - 22:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan

No probs re caravan - can't get one into my own garden but can easily borrow a field from my friend John Warde who owns adjacent Squerryes Estate. John can lay on power and water, I'm not sure about a sewerage hook-up but will find out.

The idea of forming a UK Chapter of RROCA seems to be a non-starter - I haven;t had any reponse.

To those kind souls who wished me well - it wasn't lead poisoning or even beeswax allergy !!!!

Peter

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2011 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had a bit of a fright the other day. The electric motors to the front passenger seat seemed to have ceased to function so Spirit went in for these to be sorted. Got call from garage - the tread on the 2 rear tyres was parting from the carcass of the tyre so much so that the wire radials were exposed.

Got to go, will finish this saga later

Peter

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 13:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Follow on. This parting of the tread from the carcass of the tyrehad occured in less than 2 months as there was no sign of it when Spirit went in for an MOT in July. Rubber ages with time, everything can appear good then suddenly the rubber can fail. I was lucky - the previous day Sue and I attended a Charity classic car show at Clandon Park in aid of Macmillian Nurses and returned home via the M25 at speeds of 70 to 80 mph. If I'd had to brake in a hurry, the tread would have been torn from the tyre, I'd have been steering on the carcass of the tyre with little or no control. I think this is a salutory lesson for us all - old tyres can fail without warning and should be replaced with new ones. Spirit now has 5 new Avons, which should be good for the next few years. When I've got time I'll post some photos of the failed tyres.

Peter

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

As a matter of interest, do you know how old the tyres were?

You can find a code on the sidewall which gives the date of manufacture. There is a post from Richard Treacy in the link below which contains a pdf file on decoding tyre markings;

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/8107.html

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How odd. I responded to this thread yesterday, but it's gone, disappeared, vanished. It is no more. It is an ex response ...

Moderator's Comment - Jan, are you certain you actually used the post button after the preview? I have "lost" a few posts by not finishing the post when it was in the preview screen and I was interrupted by the phone or someone else. When I came back to the computer, I would see the formatted post on the top of the screen and assume this was after posting without scrolling down to check if it was still in the preview screen. I would then proceed and lose the post...... I think this is one of the reasons Paul doesn't like the preview/post process used on this forum to allow proof reading and editing before the post is locked.

(Message edited by david_gore on 05 October 2011)

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2011 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan & David

Something strange going on here.- I'm in touch with RR Forums Administrator re this. I started a new Thread : UK Section of RROCA, posted the first entry to this Thread - or tried so to do - then message came up on screen saying I was locked out since another user had locked some required files. You responded to this new Thread, so I know the formation of it went through OK, then it vanished. NOW, it's back and I've just posted a new entry. Your posting to this Thread seems to have vanished. Jan has multiple past postings to this Forum so does know what he's doing.

Query: a bug or a gremlin in the system ?

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2011 - 13:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan

Re Westerham idea next Spring. "Old Girl" could do with a decent run out so why don't you forget the caravan, bring "Old Girl" and stay with us - we've got a spare bedroom.

Peter

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2011 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David. No, I'm certain I hit the 'post' button as the screen changed to show the first post in the thread as it usually does. As I was in a hurry I didn't scroll down the page for a last check, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

The gist of my response was that I've recently been caught out by a faulty tyre or two. The first was on my caravan. I'd just fitted what appeared to be a brand new spare to replace a road tyre that was cracking up through age. It lasted 30 kilometres before shredding at 65kph. Although I noticed immediately and stopped within 100 metres, it took out the inner wheel arch, parts of the flooring, some wiring and gas piping. After replacing all the above I was 24 hours late getting to the Toyota club weekend meet and my wallet was £100 lighter.

It was only when I examined the tyre remains that I realised that it was a 'Colway' remould. In the past I've noted that they used to remake some very good larger sizes especially in off-road tyres, but their smaller sizes under 14" tended to have a high failure rate. To the best of my knowledge the company failed after a lot of such complaints, although they may have just rebadged themselves and now operate under a new name.

The second one was the spare on the Toyota. Due to using an undertray and lowering screw similar to the Shadow system having rusted solid the carrier had been jacked into position crushing the tyre against the ironwork. This was exacerbated by the fact that these cars usually come with a 'skinny' spare while mine had been replaced with a full size spare. By the time I'd sourced a replacement lowering screw and cut off the old one with an angle grinder the damage had been done and the sidewalls of the tyre were cracking up badly. Even the tyres on The Old Girl were in a sorry state despite having a good layer of tread showing. Fortunately I'd already been offered a set of whitewalls from a '74 Shadow that was being broken, so I wandered down to Burton Upon Trent (around 100 kilometres each way) and removed them myself. Not only did I get the set for the price of just one tyre, but I saved the fitting fee as they were already on Shadow wheels.

Peter: You drive a hard bargain Old Chum. However I have a few nasty habits. I drink, smoke and pick up strange females. The latest is a 10 year old Saluki/Whippet cross as a playmate for my 8 year old Yellow Labrador dog.

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2011 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan

You just joined an exclusive Club of Smokers & Drinkers!! Not too sure about your prediliction for "strange females", I tend to prefer them with 2 legs rather than 4.

Peter

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2011 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've found that the 2-legged variety are less inclined to wag their tails when you say "Walkies!" and rarely walk to heel if taken out on a lead. Clothing (especially shoes) is so much cheaper for them as they don't need to keep up with the latest fashions and I've never seen a dog embarassed to find that it's wearing an identical outfit as another dog. Conversation is just as one-sided, but at least it's in my favour when I'm talking to a dog!