Vibration when under power climbing h... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Vibration when under power climbing hills etc « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rodney Peach
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, 22 January, 2008 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice ? On my Shadow II when I am cruising all is well when I get to a hill I have a vibration
from underneath,I have looked at the universal joints on the propeller shaft but they seem to be O.K. ,But the vibration seems to be from that region.
Any Ideas?

Thankyou
Rodney

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2008 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rodney

Check that your car’s height-adjustment is correctly set up. If the car does not ride level you will get vibration under acceleration. With a full tank of fuel check that the chrome sill below the doors line up with the center of the rear wheel after a short run to ensure that the hydraulics are well pumped up.

Regards

KC

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2008 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to add to my last post, if you find that the vibration is worse with a full tank of fuel than it is when the car is lightly laden then the above is most likely the problem.

Regards

KC

Rodney Peach
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, 24 January, 2008 - 17:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi KC,
Thanks for your help I will look into it ,Yes the car always is full so I will take a look when I go out for a drive ,But It seems to be OK height wise ,When I start her she go's up all lights off etc.
Thanks
Rodney

Udo
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.37.147.115
Posted on Monday, 04 February, 2008 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Rodney,
I had the same behaviour with my Shadow and have been searching a lot for the solution: One of the three bolts of the torque converter where it is fixed to the flywheel was loose. I took the bolt off, put some industrial glue and refitted the bolt. The vibrations have gone!
Regards - Udo from Tenerife

(Message approved by david_gore)

Rodney Peach
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, 05 February, 2008 - 16:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Udo,
Thanks for your help , I am not sure which bolts you refer too ? I have looked at my workshop manual but non the wiser! ,Can you get to these bolts without the gearbox being removed? And did you have the same problem cruising along O.K but climbing a vibration?
Regards
Rodney

Udo Hoffmüller
Yet to post message
Username: udo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2008 - 19:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Rodney, at least my application for a user account has been approved so that I can answer.

The vibrations I had with my Shadow were just as you described them: Under acceleration at the beginning there was a strong vibration that could be felt in the steering wheel, it became worse and the steering wheel was really jumping up and down while the vibration could be felt even in the seat. On gentley acceleration the vibrations were less perceptible or nearly unperceptible. At normal cruising even hat 120 km/h there was nothing to be felt, but at higher speeds there was a grumble/drone - sorry, I don't know the right word to describe this kind of "low frequented noisy vibration"

First we thought it was caused by a broken flexplate. But when we took off the rear undercover of the gearbox and throbbed/knocked against the flexplate we heard a sound "clong" and believed it to be okay (later on we saw that it was). So we thought that it must be something else from the same region, because the vibrations were load and rev related, always at the same revs whatever the gear was, even on fast idling one could feel the vibrations. Next suspicious part was the torque converter, and we decided to check its fixation.

The description given in my first post was the short version of what then happened, in my case it was really bad: First we tried to fix the three bolts with a very long ratchet, there is access to the bolts from aside of the starter (found the first bolt, you must turn the flywheel 120° to see the next one), but it is tricky and the view is very bad and limited. The first bolt we tried was already the guilty one, but the bolt turned and turned and turned ... the thread was worn out, probably because of the permanent slight for and back movement of the torque converter in this bolt which had produced the vibrations. So we had to take off the gearbox to get access to the converter which is one with six fixing points. So we took off the two other bolts, turned the converter about 60° to use the other three fixing points/threads. The bolts were glued in to avoid future problems of the same kind.

A lot of trouble with a worn out thread, but the result was convincing: No more vibration at whatever kind of acceleration and speed.

Best regards - Udo

Rodney Peach
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, 09 February, 2008 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Udo,
Thankyou very much for your help I am going to look into this then, Like you explain to me, Did you get the idea when it happened to you that it was a universal joint on the prop shaft too?It is like a thuddering ,I am going to put her up on the ramp a dismantle the starter and have a look .
Thanks Again
Regards
Rodney

Udo Hoffmüller
New User
Username: udo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 09 February, 2008 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Rodney,

I guess as far to the univeral joints of the prop shaft I have to disappoint you. Yes, I thought the vibrations might have come from the prop shaft, but I excluded this possibility very soon because the prop shaft had been revised and newly balanced some ten years ago - I don't remember if we changed the joints or not. To me the vibrations seemed to be emitted from somewhere closer to the front than the prop shaft ... but this was a decision "from the stomage", a feeling. If it had not been the converter fixing I would have looked next for the prop shaft.

Regards - Udo