Accumulators Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Accumulators « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Yet to post message
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, 31 May, 2003 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just tried to replace the accumulators on the new toy a 1984 Silver Spur. Discovered that units are about 80% the size of the replacements. The latter wont fit as they are too long. I suspect that the clue is to pack out the vertical unit with spacers which will move it sufficiently far to the right to permit fitting. Anybody aware of this problem?

Richard Treacy
Yet to post message
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 01 June, 2003 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds suspicious. I replaced mine recently as part of the major service and they were identical to the old ones. However, the Turbo R has its spheres mounted on the left hand crankcase à la Shadow I. Spacers sound the go though.

By the way, I replaced my 2 year old steering rack yesterday with a 1997 version from the overhaulers with the best reputation, but highest price too: adaptor kit and new lower steering column. Filter fitted of course. You may agree that this is a straightforward job, but those maounting bolts are a pain to remove without the question mark shaped spanner extension. I did it through the mudguard with the wheels removed. My neighbours think I am strange.

The steering is now much firmer and more direct. Highly recommended, and I also strongly recommend the Turbo R lower column fo all post-1988 steering boxes as the flexible coupling has less give and hence no rubbery feel. Also, the risk of fouling the exhaust manifold is eliminated ( mine did after the RR guys here replaced the rear mounts and left the motor too low. Hit the gas and the steering jammed. Yikes). I hope this rack doesn't leak. The last rack was done by the main official R-R dealer in Switzerland: what a lousy job they did. The steering was not centred by the rack plug, they fiddled the track rods to align the steering, then shifted the steering wheel, misplacing and damaging the horn wires. Also, a feed pipe was fouling a convoluted seal. I corrected that afer I saw it a few months later, but with the rack now out I see I was too late and the seal has a hole in it. It started its internal leaks after only six months. All OK now. Anyhow, good ridance to the early rack used from 1977 to 1989. The new one even has an external mesh adjuster, being the third and final type of leaker employed.

What is the chassis number of your Spur ? Does it have EFI ? History ?

RT.

Robert Chapman
Yet to post message
Username: shadow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 01 June, 2003 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi bill,
Are you saying the replacement spheres are longer than the spheres already fitted ? if so it sounds like you may have gas springs instead of accumulator spheres?.These are slightly longer.

Bill Coburn
Yet to post message
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, 02 June, 2003 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No. Wish I knew how to put in pictures. The new accumulators are 6 3/8" from end to end and the one's I took off are 5 3/4" end to end. The diameters are the same as best I can measure. The mounting bracket is the usual but when I install the horizontal sphere it obviously pokes out 5/8" too far towards the front of the car. The 'vertical' unit then can't be fitted as it is too close to the other. The provenance is unknown to me but it was destined for the Middle East, Chassis number 10059 and 1964 vintage. Somebody suggested that Citroen spheres from one of their cars have been fitted but that is unlikely as their clearances etc are appropriate to their dimensions. And why would you bother fitting smaller units. The things have little enough reserve as it is! If all fails I shall simply pack the mounts out to move the 'vertical' unit forward to give enough clearance. One clue in the spare parts schedule is that there are three different spacer blocks for the mount yet there is no mention of accumulaters other than the standard. The air springs by the way are almost identical to the normal accumulator. The car Richard is carburetted no EGR or air pump. Incidentally what is the secret code to identify a high compression engine? Bob I'll send you my pics!

Cheers to you both.

Richard Treacy
Yet to post message
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, 02 June, 2003 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look for the letters, eg L410/8 means 410 cu in, 8:1 compression, L410/9 is 9:1. Look for the build code stamped below the end of the compressor on your car. 20,000 series cars have a code stamped next to the distributor.

RT.