What the hell...... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » What the hell...... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Dabrowski
New User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 13 June, 2006 - 20:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What the hell. I'm spending money left right and centre on the Shadow 2 at the moment.
Where is a good place to buy a new drivers seatbelt? Second hand is not an option, but i would assume I could buy one locally in Australia for a reasonable price

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2006 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

If my memory is correct, the original seat belts were made by Britax who are still in existence but do not make seatbelts just child safety seats and other child products:

http://www.britax.com.au/

If you contact them, they may be able to let you know who they sold the seatbelt division to. I also thought it might have been Wibroc but they are no longer in business having been purchased by Repco in 1967.

You might have some success by contacting the following Australian seat belt manufacturer:

http://www.autolivaftermarket.com/pr-replacement2.asp

I suspect you may have to remove the belts and measure them to get an alternative.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2006 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A word of warning: the seat belts are L O N G because the inertia reels are under the floor. In 1972 at least, they were fitted front and rear pre-delivery by the local agents as Crewe could not keep track of the standards in every state of every country, and they figured that shipping approved seat belts from Australia to Crewe to bolt them on made less sense than doing the job in Sydney anyhow. Therefore, the brands may vary, but ours are indeed Britax fitted by York Motors. I had to replace one as it was very slightly frayed and we were warned at the roadworthiness test some years back, but managed to have a new replacement specially made by Britax at the time. The reel was standard, but the free length is about 60cm longer than on most other large passenger applications. I would suggest that you contact a bus or truck bodybuilder for a reference, maybe http://www.svmqld.com.au/ for example.

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Reminds me....back when Australia first went metric, (1974), Porsche cars were being imported with belts that were 50mm wide. Now 50mm is just a fraction less than the two inches specified by the rules in Australia at the time. So the German belts had to be removed and replaced with Australian made belts.

Soon after that, our rules specified 50mm belts..

Bureaucracy was no different 30 years ago.

Peter

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 661
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stop everything, I have found the bit of paper! There is a mob near Bendigo Victoria called Stamps Coloured Seatbelts, 286 High Street, Kangaroo Flat Bendigo 3555 Victoria Phone 03 5447 7555 Mobile 019 333 314 - Neil and Desma Stamp. They can re-belt your belts PROVIDING all the no-belt bits are in good order. Desma tells me the the recoil mechanism rusts gets hair and body waste products (???)in it the buckles etc get broken and so on. If this has happened they will make you up a new belt assembly in the colour of your choice as long as it is one of the 12 colours they have and the buckles are black!!

This is a small business (Neil has a day job) and you need to call him at night (after 7PM) if you want more detail!

Paul Dabrowski
New User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 19 June, 2006 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill, much appreciated