Chassis 2412 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Chassis 2412 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick Ford
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2001 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In 1959/60 I collected 2412, an artillery wheeled chassis in 'basket case' condition from the inestimable Robin Barnard. After much work at 'The Jack o'Lantern', Romsey. The completed, wire wheeled, restored chassis made its way to a Mr. Palfreyman in your part of the world. Pictures of its rescue at: http://oliford.portland.co.uk/published/car205.html
I would love to hear of its present whereabouts and bodystyle it wears today.

ChrisG
Posted on Saturday, 17 March, 2001 - 23:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In 1961 in Faris Palfreyman's hands, 2412 was fitted with a contemporary Sunbeam single-seater body. In 1980 it was sold to Robert McDermott of Melbourne. Since 1990 it has been in the hands of a Victorian RROCA(Vic) member and is recorded as having a Phaeton body by Peels Ltd.

[Refs: "Silver Ghosts of Australia and New Zealand" by Ian Irwin; "Chassis Plate" 1999, the RROC(A) register of vehicles]

I highly recommend Ian Irwin's book for Silver Ghost enthusiasts; it is an essential companion piece to Fasal & Goodman's "The Edwardian Rolls-Royce".

Rick Ford (Rickford)
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Chris It's nice to know that all the scraping, wire brushing and careful assembly on 2412, all those years ago, did not go to waste.
Maybe there's a bulletin or on-line opening here for a photo. series of 'As they were....as they are.'
Irwin's book. Is it still in print? Is 'Chassis Plate' available?
Hopefully the Victoria owner knows of my website early pictures.

ChrisG
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The best person to ask is the author himself: you can contact Ian Irwin directly at ianirwin@interact.net.au.

"Chassis Plate" is available to RROC(A) members only, as it contains comprehensive information on Club members and their vehicles.