Golden Tee One Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Golden Tee One « Previous Next »

Author Message
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 25
Registered: 5-2005
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2006 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations Bill on issue 50 of Tee One!

Just to prove the message is getting through to some of us, here is an outline of jobs completed on my Shadow II in the last couple of weekends.

First of all with the warmer weather I wanted to know if the auxillary cooling fan works. The car has never needed it and I had never heard it come on. With a little help deciphering the wiring diagram the actuating sensor was located and a dry joint on the fuse board was repaired. I now rest a little easier knowing the limits of cooling have been extended a little.

Next, a new set of rear springs were installed. I brought these from Bob Chapman about two years ago but was a little hesitent about putting them in at home because I wasn't sure if I could get the car high enough. (Something about the rear bumper needing to be at nipple height Bill!). Your nipples must be lower than mine because the big garage jack proved to be adequate (just). I had noticed a small weep from the right hand side height control valve so took the precaution of purchasing a rebuild kit also from Bob. (RR only sell the whole unit). It turned out to be only one leaking o ring so I decided to put the rest of the kit back on the shelf for a rainier day. The unit is not that hard to remove.

Next up a full brake fluid flush. A box of 'new' RR363 was purchased from the local Castrol Distributor at a cost less than supermarket brake fluid. Not to open an old can of worms, but why would I consider using anything else?

While I had the hubcaps off I had them engraved with a phone number, the chassis no. of the car and 'reward'. I also retensioned the locating ring before putting them back on. I have also purchased a Beugler pinstriper. I am nowhere near as good as the man who demonstrated it but managed to do a decent job on the hubcaps. After thinking up ways of positioning the hubcaps on a turntable etc the solution was simple. Positioning the guide of the beugler against the edge of the trim ring I simply jacked up each wheel and spun them with the hubcaps still on the car. It worked a treat.
Yesterday a change of diff oil and a new boot rubber from Grippy.

A lot of the these jobs would not have been attempted without the knowledge gained from this forum and Tee One.
Its nice to have a backup close at hand if something does go pear shaped.